Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

The fj is a fairly capable off road vehicle but no where near a wrangler. It does have much better on road manners then the wrangler.

When it comes to mods there are but a fraction of the things available for jeep that are available for the fj.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
What car is called a Taco
the Toyota Tacoma has a lot of the same Frame cracking/Rusting issues as the FJ and the Tacoma is called a "Taco" for short...

Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
My buddy had a 2007, the cam sheared at like 70k while driverng cross country.. Toyota did nothing, he had to fix it all himself. He sold it to carmax once he got it on the road and settled. It was kind of small. I guess it is the only 2 door full size vehicle, other then a jeep. No modern bronco or k5 blazer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-24-2012, 08:24 AM

774 posts, read 2,600,871 times
I tend to go through a lot of cars and trucks and we owned a 2008 FJ for two yrs. I absolutely loved this truck from the day we bought it and miss it even today.

The looks are take it or leave it. You either love it or hate it. Same goes for the interior. I personally loved how everything in the cab was over sized. Made it very easy to use with gloves on.

About the only down fall was the blind spot from the wide C pillar. It didn't bother me on the drivers side but it was wide enough to lose a small car in on the pass side but you do learn to drive to get over this.

Our truck was used for cross county treks and offroading. I'm not into rock crawling as I just don't see the point but I do run every fire road and logging trail I can find.. In the two yrs we owned the FJ I put close to 35K on it. I can honestly say that about 15K was offroad maybe more. All I every did to it was put an ARB bumper with a winch, Good tires, skid plates and rocker guards... Everything else was stock.

When we sold it there were a lot of scratches from being in the woods but nothing ever broke, nothing ever failed and it got us home everytime. There were also no signs of any cracking. I received the letter from the dealer to bring it in and have it looked at.. Nothing was found and nothing was obvious to me.

The FJ is large enough to sleep in. Just lay the rear seats down and flip the front seats forward. The FJ is not a Wrangler and that's a good thing as it's tolerable as a daily driver.

I never wanted to go anywhere the FJ wouldn't take me.

Resale value was also through the roof. I paid pretty close to 32K in 08 and sold for 27K two yrs later with tons of scratches so it kept its value even knowing that it was used heavily offroad.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:07 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I see these Toyota's around but have never seen one up close or gone to a dealer to check them out.

The have a rugged sort of look, but what are these like?

I doubt i would be in the market as I need more room in a truck bed, with no roof. But still these look very interesting.

If that roof comes off, and or there is a place to sleep inside that would be more interesting.

If all these are is a Japanese Jeep Cherokee like thing then all bets are off.

So are these just Buff looking, or can they do work?

I will probably be looking into used Tacoma's into Spring.
I had one for 4 years but traded it in for a Jeep JKU. Really it's just a Tacoma with a shorter wheelbase and funky body that is hard to see out of. It's a quality vehicle otherwise and resale values for one verge on the insane. I like the Jeep better though... to me the FJ is more "style over substance" in the end.

Now if only Toyota sold the Landcruiser 70 series here in the USA... that is what the old FJ-40s actually evolved into, not the FJ Crusier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_...iser_70_Series
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion