Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,147 times

Advertisements

We are seriously thinking about purchasing a one owner, low mileage, used 2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4 TRD SR5. Have any of you owned one? Are you happy with it? We have mostly owned either Toyota 2WD trucks 2nd gen or Dodge Cummins 4x4s and are looking for something not quite as large and a little less buck-boardy to drive but will still tow a boat or car trailer.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I have a '09 Tundra SR5. If you're going to be doing lots of towing I recommend getting one with the 5.7 engine. Mine has the 4.7, and while it is capable of towing, the 5.7 would be better suited for it (while getting the same mpg). Mine is the extra cab, and theres lots of room in the back seat. The back seat also folds up very easily. Headlights are the best I've ever seen, the high beams will light up a football field.

The only negatives I've noticed...

Slip yoke "bumps" when you let your foot off the brake. It's a common complaint and supposedly lubing it helps for awhile. My Dads old GMC had this problem too.

When you're sitting at a stop light it will tend to lurch when the a/c cycles on and off. It's not a big deal to me but it may annoy some people.

Sometimes when im doing 55-60mph on a smooth road i can feel a rythmatic vibration in my steering wheel. The dealer says they cant feel it.

Radio sometimes acts up in really hot weather. When the interior cools back down it works normally again. Many Tundra owners have switched to aftermarket stereos.

Sorry I have no advice on the 4wd components.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Here's a recall list. My nephew has one and I'll preface this with, he drives everything like he stole it. He puts a LOT of mileage on a truck quick. He's a contractor by trade. His previous truck was a Chevy. He will not be buying another Toyota anything. His has seen the shop far too many times versus the Chevy. Brakes are every 25,000 miles for the Tundra whereas the Chevy was every 60,000. His uses about 40% more gas than a 5.3 Chevy and maintenance is expensive versus the Chevy. He has on several occasions had to rent a truck as parts were not available for the Tundra. Yeah, they make them in San Antonio where he lives but no parts available- go figure. While I'm not a fan of GM, I've witnessed the absolute failure as truck with the Tundra versus the Chevrolet......and I bleed Ford blue. So if you're buying it for a truck, keep looking at a different brand. If yer just a city cowboy and it'll never be used like a truck, it might work for you, if you can afford the gas. Tundras have never been a fuel mileage champ.
2007 Toyota Tundra Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine

Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 AM

Thank you both for the info....

Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I know nothing about them. I am just amused that Toyota would name its truck a turd.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I know nothing about them. I am just amused that Toyota would name its truck a turd.
I think TRD stands for "Toyota Racing Development", but I'm not positive. Mine isn't the TRD version, and most Tundras I've seen aren't (it's mostly Tacomas).

Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I think TRD stands for "Toyota Racing Development", but I'm not positive. Mine isn't the TRD version, and most Tundras I've seen aren't (it's mostly Tacomas).
You are correct....TRD does stand for Toyota Racing Development. The TRD is a suspension and brake up-grade.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
2007 is easily the worst model year for the Tundra and later model years benefited from the "teeth cutting" Toyota did on the 2007 which was the first year of the Tundra being a "real" truck. You can usually see the not-so-favorable rep that this model year has reflected in their prices where the 2007's tend to carry a lower value then 2008+ models beyond the basic model year pricing differential.

I think the later model Tundra's are solid trucks and quite a few people swear by them, but when it comes to a fullsized truck, I still think the best bet is the F150 or 1500 series GM twins. They are also generally cheaper then a comparable Tundra to boot since they are so readily available and sold in such large numbers.

Where Toyota is easily the best option though is in the none-fullsized segment where the Tacoma is easily the best truck on the market by a long shot. Depending on exactly how much you need to tow and how often, the Tacoma may be exactly what you are looking for. Smaller with a better ride for day-to-day use while still being able to tow a small boat or car trailer when needed.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Here's a recall list. My nephew has one and I'll preface this with, he drives everything like he stole it. He puts a LOT of mileage on a truck quick. He's a contractor by trade. His previous truck was a Chevy. He will not be buying another Toyota anything. His has seen the shop far too many times versus the Chevy. Brakes are every 25,000 miles for the Tundra whereas the Chevy was every 60,000. His uses about 40% more gas than a 5.3 Chevy and maintenance is expensive versus the Chevy. He has on several occasions had to rent a truck as parts were not available for the Tundra. Yeah, they make them in San Antonio where he lives but no parts available- go figure. While I'm not a fan of GM, I've witnessed the absolute failure as truck with the Tundra versus the Chevrolet......and I bleed Ford blue. So if you're buying it for a truck, keep looking at a different brand. If yer just a city cowboy and it'll never be used like a truck, it might work for you, if you can afford the gas. Tundras have never been a fuel mileage champ.
2007 Toyota Tundra Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine
Yes, that is the biggest complain that I hear. The brakes are rather weak for a truck of its size which is the reason for their short lifespan.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 18,951 times
I own a 07 tundra sr5 4x4 5.7. It is the best truck ive owned. Not a single repair. Not one. Basic maintenance and they will not let you down. If you need more than 10800 pounds tow capacity get a cummins ram.I live and drive mainly mountain roadsno highway. I get 15mpg and 11mpg towing 8k trailer on 33" tires Double cab is spacious. Drives well for a truck but don't expect to handle like a car. The 5.7 is one of the best engine designs for any v8. 32 valve, quad cams, timing chain, all aluminum and a trd supercharger package that keeps factory 60k mi warranty. Thats unheard of. You can have a warranteed 504 hp 550 ft lb sports car slayer thats reliable! And guaranteed!I will say i believe the tundra 5.7 to be the best gas powered truck you can buy. I've seen one with 650k miles and believe in a few years someone will get a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion