Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM
 
2,066 posts, read 4,320,322 times
Reputation: 1992

Advertisements

So I went to test out some used SC 430s this weekend and to my dismay 3 and in three different dealerships ... 2002, 2003 and 2007 all had dead batteries.

I've been googling and apparently it's a known "defect" for the SC 430s and other lexus vehicles... they make you pay for neglecting to drive them weekly I guess.

I really like the car it pretty much looks the same from conception to death of line hence my willingness to span 02 to even 08 (it did start but my guess is that dealership starts ever car daily shady)

So anyone with a normal function Lexus that isn't your everyday car but whenever you do hop in it it starts like a charm? Anyone have experienece with the SC 430s?

I've been leaning more towards the 430 it beating out Mercede SLKs but now I don't know...

Thoughts?

Just to note after a little 1 minute charge they all started and performed nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
5,994 posts, read 19,900,807 times
Reputation: 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
So I went to test out some used SC 430s this weekend and to my dismay 3 and in three different dealerships ... 2002, 2003 and 2007 all had dead batteries.

I've been googling and apparently it's a known "defect" for the SC 430s and other lexus vehicles... they make you pay for neglecting to drive them weekly I guess.

I really like the car it pretty much looks the same from conception to death of line hence my willingness to span 02 to even 08 (it did start but my guess is that dealership starts ever car daily shady)

So anyone with a normal function Lexus that isn't your everyday car but whenever you do hop in it it starts like a charm? Anyone have experienece with the SC 430s?

I've been leaning more towards the 430 it beating out Mercede SLKs but now I don't know...

Thoughts?

Just to note after a little 1 minute charge they all started and performed nicely.
It may be that given that these cars were abysmal failures in terms of sales very few people come in to test drive them which means that the battery isn't getting enough of a charge. Many modern cars will drain the battery while sitting due to complex electronics. I experienced the same thing with my 2007 530i after letting it sit for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Twin Lakes /Taconic / Salisbury
2,256 posts, read 4,468,996 times
Reputation: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
It may be that given that these cars were abysmal failures in terms of sales very few people come in to test drive them which means that the battery isn't getting enough of a charge. Many modern cars will drain the battery while sitting due to complex electronics. I experienced the same thing with my 2007 530i after letting it sit for a week.


Lol.. the truth is the exact opposite. Those SCs outsold Lexus projections EVERY year. One of the reasons they stayed the same their almost complete run. Everytime Lexus was about to make some changes the loyal and loud owners spoke up and changed Lexus mind for them. But the statement is more correct today as a used car. You dont see many and not many people are looking for a used one, so they will sit and drain the battery rather quickly. It prob doesnt help that
dealers arent exactly looking to replace a borderline battery.
That and the GS were the last new cars sold in the US that came equipped with factory cassette players btw.

I always thought they looked more attractive AND more aerodynamic goin down the road backwards than forwards. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
5,994 posts, read 19,900,807 times
Reputation: 4078
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Lol.. the truth is the exact opposite. Those SCs outsold Lexus projections EVERY year. One of the reasons they stayed the same their almost complete run. Everytime Lexus was about to make some changes the loyal and loud owners spoke up and changed Lexus mind for them. But the statement is more correct today as a used car. You dont see many and not many people are looking for a used one, so they will sit and drain the battery rather quickly. It prob doesnt help that
dealers arent exactly looking to replace a borderline battery.
That and the GS were the last new cars sold in the US that came equipped with factory cassette players btw.

I always thought they looked more attractive AND more aerodynamic goin down the road backwards than forwards. Lol
I can't speak for projections but I recall that in overall volume they didn't sell at a particularly fast rate. I believe slowing sales were often mentioned when production ceased although it did have a very long production cycle (9 years or so). There were less than 800 sold in 2009 and they produced a final run of 300 for it's last year in 2010.

Final sales figures:

2001; 14333
2002; 14462
2003; 10298
2004; 9708
2005; 8360
2006; 5847
2007; 3927
2008; 1986
2009; 720
2010; 147
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
 
6,458 posts, read 8,124,951 times
Reputation: 5491
It is the worst car in the world, according to Top Gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM
 
Location: NoVA
1,391 posts, read 2,636,623 times
Reputation: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
It is the worst car in the world, according to Top Gear.
Because Lexus knew better and yet they built it anyway! And to the OP, I'm not talking about the earlier SC300 & 400, but the SC430 specifically.


The Worst Car In the History Of The World - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top