Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,206,471 times

Advertisements

Ironically I test drove a new 2013 Avalon XLE (non-hybrid) today in an effort to win a new Corolla or Civic.

(One of our local dealers has a contest going where you like them and one of our local TV stations on Facebook and go and test drive any car on their lot, you are entered to win a new Corolla or Civic, so I thought what the heck, lol).

Anyway, I thought I would drive the new Avalon - this was a XLE model (still nicely optioned, its an Avalon, lol!) and it was the attitude black with black leather interior - which is optional I do believe - this car may have been the XLE Premium or XLE Touring, it definitely was not the Limited model. Its a very nice car, very solid, tight chassis and smooth riding. My only complaint was I was heard two or three "tick" sounds from the dash cluster area when I would hit expansion joints in the road. Maybe it was where the car had a black interior and it had got hot in the afternoon sun and it was just some plastic ticking because of the temperature. Its a little discouraging though. I rented a '13 Sienna LE van last week with 2200 miles on it (drove it about 600 miles) and I didnt notice this on the Sienna and it has nothing but hard plastic on the dash. Maybe this Avalon is an exception rather than a rule... I hope so. The dash layout was nice, but the temperature and fuel gauge was dimly lit, but again I may not have had the lighting up to full capacity.

I would buy one. I would certainally want to test drive another one to make sure it didnt have that annoying tick that the one I test drove had. After awhile though even on that one that may go away after the car gets broken in. In a way I wish that I had of also test drove a Camry. I really like those and anxious to see if I like it better than the last Camry I drove back in '08... an '08 Camry LE.

Here is the actual car I test drove... it was indeed an XLE Premium... http://www.pbtoyota.com/new-Johnson+...BK1EB0DU002750

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 12-18-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:45 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,297,220 times
I hate how the car is egg shaped on the back end. Or maybe it looks more like the shape of a football? Reminds me of the Honda Accord Crosstour. No thanks.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,580,467 times
95-99 Avalons were my favorite.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 PM

Yes, it has a very short decklid, but thankfully not a hatchback.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 PM

6 posts, read 8,265 times
The 13' Avalon is much more sporty that than of previous years.

You can see an improved level of luxury on the interior.

While I like the hybrid, I'm more of a conventional gas engine guy because I'll only keep the car 2-3 years max.

I like the technology package which gives wireless cell phone charging!!

Old 12-23-2012, 11:05 PM

To update on this - I WON the contest I entered by test driving this car! I am still in shock! (See I won a brand new car thread for details). LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Ironically I test drove a new 2013 Avalon XLE (non-hybrid) today in an effort to win a new Corolla or Civic.

(One of our local dealers has a contest going where you like them and one of our local TV stations on Facebook and go and test drive any car on their lot, you are entered to win a new Corolla or Civic, so I thought what the heck, lol).

Anyway, I thought I would drive the new Avalon - this was a XLE model (still nicely optioned, its an Avalon, lol!) and it was the attitude black with black leather interior - which is optional I do believe - this car may have been the XLE Premium or XLE Touring, it definitely was not the Limited model. Its a very nice car, very solid, tight chassis and smooth riding. My only complaint was I was heard two or three "tick" sounds from the dash cluster area when I would hit expansion joints in the road. Maybe it was where the car had a black interior and it had got hot in the afternoon sun and it was just some plastic ticking because of the temperature. Its a little discouraging though. I rented a '13 Sienna LE van last week with 2200 miles on it (drove it about 600 miles) and I didnt notice this on the Sienna and it has nothing but hard plastic on the dash. Maybe this Avalon is an exception rather than a rule... I hope so. The dash layout was nice, but the temperature and fuel gauge was dimly lit, but again I may not have had the lighting up to full capacity.

I would buy one. I would certainally want to test drive another one to make sure it didnt have that annoying tick that the one I test drove had. After awhile though even on that one that may go away after the car gets broken in. In a way I wish that I had of also test drove a Camry. I really like those and anxious to see if I like it better than the last Camry I drove back in '08... an '08 Camry LE.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:39 AM

21,783 posts, read 25,080,060 times
And by $43k, you mean $38k...

It's $3500 more for the hybrid than the V6. Worth it? Not to me, story of every hybrid. Just wait until Consumer Reports gets a hold of it and like the Prius and Fusion hybrids can't even get close to the mileage. =D

Doesn't appeal to me, but for gadget buyers it's loaded to the gills. I'd prefer a car that's actually well built and more basic. Rattles and poorly executed gauges... not my cup of tea. I've got the rattles in spades in my car (Mazda3), but yeah. Cheap cars, you get what you pay for. I guess it's tolerable in something costing less than $20k, but I've been in C-classes that rattled just as bad.

Last edited by Malloric; 12-24-2012 at 05:48 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 09:47 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,619,187 times
If you are looking for a big car ride the Avalon is the one to look at. Same car as the Lexus 300h for people watching their money but would like the same comfort at less money.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:53 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,619,187 times
The Avalon hybrid limited is almost exactly like the Lexus 300h. Same motor and everything but comes with standard leather. The Lexus doesn't have leather standard. They use a vinyl called nuluxe. The Avalon limited comes pretty well equipped. The Lexus can climb above $47,000 easily and if you want the levinson stereo be prepared to pay around $50,000. If you are a status seeker go with the Lexus. If you want the best value go with Avalon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion