Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The Detroit 3 probably hopes so. Word of mouth will eventually make the Tundra the success that it deserves to be. It took years of people who bought Japanese cars touting the bulletproof reliability of their cars to make skeptics like me to jump into the fray. It is going to be hard to get dyed in the wool truck people to ever consider the value and superiority of the Tundra over the Detroit offerings. It will happen though. Detroit trucks are still as unreliable as they have always been.

I personally would like to see ALL full sized pickups leave the market. Few people need a gas guzzling behemoth like today's full sized pickups. They are too popular though, and if the high price of gas does not slow the sales down, nothing will.
Without a diesel option I don't think that the Tundra will be able to compete in the full size p/u market. A lot of these full size p/us that I see, around here any ways, are personal transportation, and work trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
They probably will by the end of the decade. They went all in for the 2007 model, and it has been a sales failure other than its first year.

NOT. The sales has exceeded their expectations more years than not. Toyota is not stupid, they are not trying to take over the 1/2 ton segment, just take a piece of the pie and it has proven very successful for them.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 AM

929 posts, read 2,723,802 times
I would think Nissan would drop the Titan before Toyota drops the Tundra.
It was only a few years ago, maybe 2008 or 2009 that Nissan was going to farm out trucks to Dodge.
I also think both products are good, I have friends that have both the Titan and Tundra, they report positive ownership.
We talk alot as I am a Ford F150 owner and discuss related.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post

I personally would like to see ALL full sized pickups leave the market. Few people need a gas guzzling behemoth like today's full sized pickups..
I don't think your Prius would tow my Horse Trailer.....

Old 08-19-2013, 12:45 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I don't think I would pay much attention to a guy from the Motley Fool on this topic.

I think Toyota still thinks it is strategic and important for them to be in the full size truck market. The current Tundra was introduced just before the recession hit and gas prices rose. So it had a slow start. But the truck is very capable and has proven to have typical Toyota reliability. It does need an update, especially since Ford continues to push the category. GM's big update has been ho-hum.

People need to remember that Ford, as strong as they are with truck sales, is down significantly from the peak of 2004.

There are lots and lots of happy Tacoma owners today. And a growing number of happy Tundra owners.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:24 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
They will get my attention if/when there is a turbo option, for those of us that live at altitude. Otherwise I will stick to the Cummins.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:33 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
NOT. The sales has exceeded their expectations more years than not. Toyota is not stupid, they are not trying to take over the 1/2 ton segment, just take a piece of the pie and it has proven very successful for them.
I never said they were. They didn't meet expectations (barely) in 2007 and sales have generally fallen since. In that same time it lost about 3% of its market share. Their piece of the pie is getting smaller and will continue to get smaller with the new GM trucks here and new F-150 that is around the corner.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:42 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
I would think Nissan would drop the Titan before Toyota drops the Tundra.
It was only a few years ago, maybe 2008 or 2009 that Nissan was going to farm out trucks to Dodge.
I also think both products are good, I have friends that have both the Titan and Tundra, they report positive ownership.
We talk alot as I am a Ford F150 owner and discuss related.
True,

Toyota has a stream of built in loyalist coming through their showrooms looking at their regular cars, so I would say they are going to be around for a while.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
No way. It HAS been a failure. The sales of it are a distant fourth to the domestics and this latest refresh is just a phoned in attempt and not a redesign that the vehicle definitely needs. It is still a capable vehicle but like the Titan it will take monster rebates to move it. And that's okay, Toyota can afford it because the same basic tooling has been around since 2006.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:49 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Heres the MPG for the best of the 4wd V8 vehicles. The Chevy appears to have them all beat for mileage with their Hybrid fulll size truck, but comes with a price. I would hope that Toyota would be more on top of having a good mpg vehicles considering the companies roots in fuel efficient vehicles?

Compare Side-by-Side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion