Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,932,787 times

Advertisements

Any other old Toyota Pickup fans out there? I'm talking about before there was a Tundra or a Tacoma, there was just the plain old "Toyota Pickup." They were no frills (though they got a little fancier towards the late '80s/early '90s) with manual hubs and transfer cases, manual transmissions, no AC, roll up windows, and manual locks. I own one of these trucks and even the frame finally rusts through on it I'll just weld it up and keep on going. It's a 1991 that started out its life looking this:

It was my uncle's. My aunt gave it to me when he died suddenly. I did a lot of regular maintenance on it, fixed a few things, and added some Tundra steel wheels, 32" mud terrains, and lifted it about an inch in the front and an inch and a half in the rear:

Now I use it for hauling firewood, camping, hunting and fishing, and just exploring the woods. Even without a locked rear end with the new tires there's not much the truck can't handle. I've considered locking the rear permanently since I don't drive it every day. I just love how simple these trucks are and how easy it is to keep them going forever. The stock ground clearance is great too-a lot of people think I must have lifted the truck 4" or more, when in reality it was only 1 and 1/2". I learned to drive stick in this truck out in the woods when I was 15 and I hope I can teach my daughter (she's now 2) the same way in the same truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 12:39 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,409,506 times
I am. I had a 1987 Toyota Truck, got to 213K then sold it. Now I have a 1998 F-150 with 220K miles on it. Both great vehicles.

I am waiting for a brand new Tacoma to come out - something completely redesigned, a third generation. Maybe 2015? Hoping.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I am waiting for a brand new Tacoma to come out - something completely redesigned, a third generation. Maybe 2015? Hoping.
Eh...the new ones do nothing for me. I had a 1977 FJ-40 Land Cruiser too. That truck even had a manual choke and manual steering. Give me an old utilitarian 4x4 any day over any of these newer ones with push button 4WD or AWD...

Old 08-21-2013, 02:43 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,747,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Eh...the new ones do nothing for me. I had a 1977 FJ-40 Land Cruiser too. That truck even had a manual choke and manual steering. Give me an old utilitarian 4x4 any day over any of these newer ones with push button 4WD or AWD...
I don't like the way that the current Toyota pickups look; they're sort of awkward and cartoonish looking to me... even the previous-generation (early/mid-00's) Toyota Tacomas still had a simple, purposeful, utilitarian elegance to them that I liked a lot.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,378,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Any other old Toyota Pickup fans out there? I'm talking about before there was a Tundra or a Tacoma, there was just the plain old "Toyota Pickup." They were no frills (though they got a little fancier towards the late '80s/early '90s) with manual hubs and transfer cases, manual transmissions, no AC, roll up windows, and manual locks. I own one of these trucks and even the frame finally rusts through on it I'll just weld it up and keep on going. It's a 1991 that started out its life looking this:

It was my uncle's. My aunt gave it to me when he died suddenly. I did a lot of regular maintenance on it, fixed a few things, and added some Tundra steel wheels, 32" mud terrains, and lifted it about an inch in the front and an inch and a half in the rear:

Now I use it for hauling firewood, camping, hunting and fishing, and just exploring the woods. Even without a locked rear end with the new tires there's not much the truck can't handle. I've considered locking the rear permanently since I don't drive it every day. I just love how simple these trucks are and how easy it is to keep them going forever. The stock ground clearance is great too-a lot of people think I must have lifted the truck 4" or more, when in reality it was only 1 and 1/2". I learned to drive stick in this truck out in the woods when I was 15 and I hope I can teach my daughter (she's now 2) the same way in the same truck.
I have an '88 4 cylinder, 4wd manual hubs, 5speed, single cab. My favorite combo! Well, I may have liked an extra cab for the extra space in the back, but it'd just make it longer so I'm happy with what I got
Red with the swoosh, rust HOLES around the rear fender.
I'd post a pic, but I'm at work right now. Maybe when I'm home. I have big plans for her tehe

BTW, I like yours and am jealous, because I want mine to be black eventually once I'm done fixing it up.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't like the way that the current Toyota pickups look; they're sort of awkward and cartoonish looking to me... even the previous-generation (early/mid-00's) Toyota Tacomas still had a simple, purposeful, utilitarian elegance to them that I liked a lot.
Agreed. Even though the FJ Cruiser is an extremely capable vehicle I feel like they softened the lines too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I have an '88 4 cylinder, 4wd, 5speed, single cab. My favorite combo! Well, I may have liked an extra cab for the extra space in the back, but it'd just make it longer so I'm happy with what I got
Red with the swoosh, rust HOLES around the rear fender.
I'd post a pic, but I'm at work right now. Maybe when I'm home. I have big plans for her tehe
I actually prefer the single cab because it gives you the shortest possible wheelbase. If I ever get the nerve to cut the fenders I'll be able to fit 35s with no more lift than I have now (1")-having tires that large on that short of a wheelbase is awesome on tight trails. I can crawl over stuff easily that most trucks would get high centered on.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:02 PM

223 posts, read 729,102 times
Me too!!! I bought a 1990 4WD Toyota pickup and drove it for 10 years and 140k miles. Sold it and it's still running today. A little underpowered but I loved that truck. Only thing I did in 140k miles besides basic maintenance was replace the timing chain & tensioners (a tensioner broke!). Loved that truck!!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:10 PM

11,233 posts, read 16,337,671 times
I wasn't, untill I visited my friend in British Columbia and took this sucker up a mountain.

Of course, he had never had the top off it before. I was there for a day and a half before this happened. lol

Meh.......I'm a Jeep guy. It was coming off whether he helped me or not.

I don't care for the new stuff though.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:13 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,461,838 times
They were fun trucks. I dont miss the annoying ignition buzzer/chime noise though.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:04 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,805,612 times
I used to have a 2wd 93' with a topper. The wife and I traveled all over Colorado, Arizona and Utah with our camping gear and mountain bikes. That 22RE was a good engine.

Used to cost about $16 to fill up back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion