Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times

Advertisements

I know problems can occur at any time but I am wondering if there are any upcoming repairs/maintenance I should be anticipating for my car, given its age and mileage.

'97 Camry V6 - 150K. It has never had any major mechanical problems, and has had all regular maintenance on it, performed by the same mechanic for 12 years.

It does have a small oil leak in which it requires 1/2 quart of oil every 1000 miles, and had two small fender benders that required body work.

From looking through the records, it looks like in 2005, it had the front gas-charged struts, front strut mounts, and rear brake pads replaced (this was done at the time of one of the fender benders- which was on right front), and in 2008, it says under labor "replace front brake pads" and "true rotors."

Currently, there is a slightly "crunchy" sound that seems to be coming from above the right font tire that occurs when I go over bumps, and I am sure this is something I will need to get fixed, but otherwise it seems just fine.

Input appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:59 AM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
Hi....you probably need to have the struts replaced with new sway bar links and bushes.

Join toyota nation.
3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Old 09-14-2013, 02:15 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I know problems can occur at any time but I am wondering if there are any upcoming repairs/maintenance I should be anticipating for my car, given its age and mileage.

'97 Camry V6 - 150K. It has never had any major mechanical problems, and has had all regular maintenance on it, performed by the same mechanic for 12 years.

It does have a small oil leak in which it requires 1/2 quart of oil every 1000 miles, and had two small fender benders that required body work.

From looking through the records, it looks like in 2005, it had the front gas-charged struts, front strut mounts, and rear brake pads replaced (this was done at the time of one of the fender benders- which was on right front), and in 2008, it says under labor "replace front brake pads" and "true rotors."

Currently, there is a slightly "crunchy" sound that seems to be coming from above the right font tire that occurs when I go over bumps, and I am sure this is something I will need to get fixed, but otherwise it seems just fine.

Input appreciated!
Are you thinking of buying this car, or do you already own it? If the former, what do you plan to do with it?

The bottom line is that this is a crap-shoot. The Camry of that era is a solid car, but anything goes at that age and mileage. There are a LOT of somewhat expensive "regular maintenance" type repairs that typically come due in that 100k-125k range. If they've all been done, that's good. If they haven't, you'll be spending some serious money.

The oil leak is probably either a front or rear main seal, and would be very expensive to fix. If you don't mind a spot on your garage floor, you can buy a heckuva lot of oil for the price of the fix.

Without looking, there's no way to know how soon you'll need to replace brake pads. If it's not squeaking or lurching when you stop, that's a good sign.

It's hard to diagnose that "scrunching sound" from your front end. It could be anything from a weak sway-bar link to your strut tower rusted out. There's just no way to know without inspecting it.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Hi....you probably need to have the struts replaced with new sway bar links and bushes.

Join toyota nation.
3rd & 4th Generation (1992–1996 & 1997–2001) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Thanks.... I checked that forum out and most of it is completely over my head. I am someone who doesn't even change their own oil! And has no desire to learn how!

Old 09-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Are you thinking of buying this car, or do you already own it? If the former, what do you plan to do with it?

The bottom line is that this is a crap-shoot. The Camry of that era is a solid car, but anything goes at that age and mileage. There are a LOT of somewhat expensive "regular maintenance" type repairs that typically come due in that 100k-125k range. If they've all been done, that's good. If they haven't, you'll be spending some serious money.

The oil leak is probably either a front or rear main seal, and would be very expensive to fix. If you don't mind a spot on your garage floor, you can buy a heckuva lot of oil for the price of the fix.

Without looking, there's no way to know how soon you'll need to replace brake pads. If it's not squeaking or lurching when you stop, that's a good sign.

It's hard to diagnose that "scrunching sound" from your front end. It could be anything from a weak sway-bar link to your strut tower rusted out. There's just no way to know without inspecting it.
Thanks, I do own the car, and plan to drive it until I am faced with repairs that are too expensive given the value of the car. So far I don't feel like I am at that point.

I am sure my trusted mechanic can tell me what my car needs, as he's worked on it for 12 years now, but it never hurts to be more informed about these things, so I thought I would post here.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I do own the car, and plan to drive it until I am faced with repairs that are too expensive given the value of the car. So far I don't feel like I am at that point.

I am sure my trusted mechanic can tell me what my car needs, as he's worked on it for 12 years now, but it never hurts to be more informed about these things, so I thought I would post here.
Gotcha.

At this point, it kind of depends on what you intend to do with the car. If you're just going to "drive it till it drops," and do so as cheaply as possible, just keep your oil changed. You can "live with" a lot of stuff, like worn shocks & struts, provided you're not taking it out on the highway.

On the other hand, if you want this to be/remain a nice car that is roadworthy, you'll want to keep ahead of the required maintenance.

If you've got a trusted mechanic, you've hit a gold mine.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Gotcha.

On the other hand, if you want this to be/remain a nice car that is roadworthy, you'll want to keep ahead of the required maintenance.

If you've got a trusted mechanic, you've hit a gold mine.
Yes, I love my mechanic. He is awesome.

And yes, my goal is to keep it in good/safe condition until it hits that point of no return in terms of repairs.

I just looked through my records again and found one I didn't catch the first time-

at 110K, I had the following done:

- timing belt kit
- flush cooling system
- new thermostat
- new spark plugs
- new water pump
- new ignition wires

So that seems like a lot - I'm guessing that is all typical stuff for a car with 110K?

Old 09-14-2013, 07:49 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
Sounds like it was well maintained. That 110k service is a big one. I wouldn't be too surprised to see it pass 200k without any major work. Around then, you have to do a similar service (timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, etc).

That clunk you hear could be something simple like a sway bar link. Or it might need a bit more diagnosing from the mechanic.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I just looked through my records again and found one I didn't catch the first time-

at 110K, I had the following done:

- timing belt kit
- flush cooling system
- new thermostat
- new spark plugs
- new water pump
- new ignition wires

So that seems like a lot - I'm guessing that is all typical stuff for a car with 110K?
Timing Belt & Water Pump are crucial - and spendy. The other stuff is relatively inexpensive regular maintenance.

Sounds like you've got a good car to keep ahold of.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,209 times
It sounds like this car has done well.

I have a 1997 Camry too with only 75K, and it has cost me a lot of $$ this year. Probably at least $1500... ouch...

My father drove it for a few years and then passed it to me in 2003. He had one front end accident with it with minimal damage. I have been very good about doing all maintenance, which is sometimes tricky to figure out when to do things because using the mileage is less reliable since I drive less.

Breaks have been done twice. New tires. Regular maintenance things and a few minor things previous to this year.

This year I have replaced the radiator (leak), rotors were cracked and replaced, air conditioner condenser was leaking (no AC) and replaced. I also had a very small oil leak like yours, but simply replacing a ?gasket solved the problem in the end, although they charged me quite a bit on labor to "diagnose" and trouble-shoot before replacing major things. The lever that opens the gas tank access broke - this is common with this model/age. A few more smaller things that I can't recall that were lumped with the others.

I am not very savvy car-wise, so I may have not described things perfectly. On each thing they fixed I insisted on being shown etc... and it seemed like everything was needed.

Who knows if my issues were due to ?where I live (weather/driving conditions), the way I drive, my father's accident from > 10 years ago or what.

I am hoping to keep it going as long as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion