Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,922,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
The timing belt needs to be changes at every 80K miles, so if this has not been done it could be pricey. My daughters 97 Corolla TB cost her700 dollars but that was at the dealer.
Huge rip-off--that's what you pay for a V8 timing belt change, which is much more difficult and time consuming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I have a '97 LE 4-Cylinder. I just went over 180,000 miles on it and never had a sludge issue. I still drive it 300 miles per week and get 27-28 MPG in mixed driving. On full tank highway runs it gets 33-35MPG.
Google it

Old 10-15-2013, 04:21 PM

890 posts, read 1,851,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Google it
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were incorrect or passing on bad information.

I know about the sludge issue and how prone these model years are to it - I still have the letter from Toyota in my records.. I was just pointing out that my particular car just hasn't suffered from it. For that matter, neither has my in-laws '98.

I'm usually pretty anal about the oil changes, and was even moreso after the problem was brought to my attention. So far so good.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I didn't mean to imply you were incorrect. I know about the sludge issue and how prone these model years are to it - I still have the letter from Toyota in my records.. I was just pointing out that my particular car just hasn't suffered from it. I'm usually pretty anal about the oil changes, and was even moreso after the problem was brought to my attention. So far so good.
Glad to hear. Just make sure (if you haven't already) to replace your PCV Valve, which was the major cause with the engine sludge. It didn't properly let the exhaust fumes out. $5 part and a google on how to replace it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion