Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:11 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,762,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Based on the condition, I would fix it and keep driving it for at least a few more years. That is a lot cheaper than buying a new or used car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I drive the exact same car as you - 2000 Camry LE, with 151,000 miles on it.
Put the money into the car, fix it up, and enjoy another 5 years of it (at least).
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
That is very low mileage for a 2000 car. Toyotas will go forever. Keep it! We have a 1998 Toyota with about 160,000 on it and it still runs like a dream! You would be making a big mistake to sell it! Just my two cents!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There is no shortage of parts for a 2000 Camry. It was probably the best selling car in America that year, like it has been for a long time.

A timing belt change should not be crazy expensive. A used Camry with low mileage (yes - 90K is low mileage for a 14 year old car) is in high demand. What other repairs are required? Based on what has been written so far unless the OP wants a new car or wants a car payment just keep the Camry and do whatever maintenance is truly required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
My car is a 1989, I'm still alive.

Is it worth spending ~$20K on a new car when you could continue to drive your perfectly good, relatively low-mileage car just by spending $2000-$2600 if repairs?

Most people buy a new car because they want one, but feel like they have to back into some kind of justification for it.

Bottom line:

If you want a new car and can afford it, just buy it. No justification is necessary, and in fact it's probably not possible to justify the purchase.

If you're happy with your current car, get the R&M caught up and continue to drive it. If you keep it maintained it will probably last another 10 years and 100K miles at a minimum with no significant problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Fix it and run it. That is low mileage. I like that generation of camry. My mother in law has am 02'with 152,000 she drives every day. Her new car is 13 camry that's a garage queen. My 2 door 02 camry turned 100,000 miles two days ago. I drive it 80 miles a day. Great car. There is a reason it is a coveted car. With the maintenance it will easily run another 200,000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATiger View Post
I have 2000 Lexus ES300 (same engine / transmission as Camry) with 220K miles and still going strong. 90k miles on Toyotas are very low. Without knowing exact break down on repairs hard to guess those numbers are right or inflated. You may post them in auto forums such as clublexus.com to get better gaguge on estimate.
Listen to these folks, they are spot on.

Shop around for the t belt replacement, ask family and friends if they know a reliable Japanese oriented shop. Dealer maintenance is overpriced as a general rule and the independents can be just as good for less.

NAPA AutoCare Car & Auto Repair Estimator | NAPA AutoCare

NAPA AutoCare Car & Auto Repair Estimator | NAPA AutoCare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:42 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,601 times
Thank you everyone for your replies. The overwhelming majority is "for" keeping the awesome Camry.

Anyway, I just got home and looked at the repairs that need to be done. I have the list and costs from two sources.

From Sunoco Gas Station (he mentioned these when my wife was there for a safety inspection):
  1. Remove and replace timing belt kit. Includes belt, cam and crank seals, tensioner, pulleys, water pump.
  2. Remove and replace valve cover gaskets and spark plugs.
  3. Remove and replace P/S pump and high pressure line.
Sunoco gas station's rough estimates are approx. $2000. $900 for #1 and around $1000 for #2 and #3.

From my Toyota Dealer (he mentioned these when I was there for servicing:
  1. Replace timing belt package. Cost: $1198
  2. Fix leaking power steeriong feed line. Cost: $398
  3. Decarb. Cost: $198
  4. Major engine tune up: Cost: $498
  5. PCV valve: Cost: $89
So Toyota dealer's costs are $2381

Do you propose I go to a couple of independent shops and ask them to check my car and suggest required repairs? And then compare the lists and see which ones are really a concern?

Thanks.
K

Old 03-07-2014, 05:11 PM

36 posts, read 85,318 times
kutra11, if no leaks why replace valve cover gaskets?. Timing belt replacement alone shouldn't cost not more than $300,if you include water pump both shouldn't cost no more than $600 at the max. What I do is to get parts online (such as rockauto even amazon) and ask dealer install them. I have been doing this on my Lexus (at Toyota dealerships. PCV valve part costs around $5 and takes 30 seconds (yes in seconds) to replace. Why pay $89?. Check on automotive forums if you plan keeping the car for long time.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Keep it and fix it. I sold my '97 Camry LE with 250,000 km (150,000 miles) on it 3 years ago, and the guy who bought it is still raving about it and how he wants another just like it.

We have a family friend that drove his to 450,000 km and only replaced it as his son bought him a new Lexus.

From my experience, timing belts on Toyotas last much longer than they say.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Replace it with American ASAP.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
My 96 Corolla 216k.................with a timing belt due. I am going to wait because I will probably sell the car in a few months and the design of this engine is non interference so if it breaks no damage.

You need to find out if your engine is non interference or not, that is critical.

These older Japanese cars are good targets for thieves.................body shops need black market parts that are no longer made for these cars, because they last so long. Hondas trade off with Toyotas for stolen car parts.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Keep it and fix it. I sold my '97 Camry LE with 250,000 km (150,000 miles) on it 3 years ago, and the guy who bought it is still raving about it and how he wants another just like it.

We have a family friend that drove his to 450,000 km and only replaced it as his son bought him a new Lexus.

From my experience, timing belts on Toyotas last much longer than they say.
Ironically when I asked the mechanic he said if you were in AZ I would do it, dry and hot rots rubber faster, but I agree I had it done first at 60k asked for parts not a crack in the belt.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies. The overwhelming majority is "for" keeping the awesome Camry.

Anyway, I just got home and looked at the repairs that need to be done. I have the list and costs from two sources.

From Sunoco Gas Station (he mentioned these when my wife was there for a safety inspection):
  1. Remove and replace timing belt kit. Includes belt, cam and crank seals, tensioner, pulleys, water pump.
  2. Remove and replace valve cover gaskets and spark plugs.
  3. Remove and replace P/S pump and high pressure line.
Sunoco gas station's rough estimates are approx. $2000. $900 for #1 and around $1000 for #2 and #3.

From my Toyota Dealer (he mentioned these when I was there for servicing:
  1. Replace timing belt package. Cost: $1198
  2. Fix leaking power steeriong feed line. Cost: $398
  3. Decarb. Cost: $198
  4. Major engine tune up: Cost: $498
  5. PCV valve: Cost: $89
So Toyota dealer's costs are $2381

Do you propose I go to a couple of independent shops and ask them to check my car and suggest required repairs? And then compare the lists and see which ones are really a concern?

Thanks.
K
The Toyota dealer's "decarb" service for $198 and "major engine tune up" for $498 are blatant gouging. Don in Austin

Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 PM

After review these cars are low tech, take it to Firestone or any decent shop, they can do it. I got a quote for $500 for timing belt, dealer $625 so where they get 1200? You could buy a used engine for that car for about 2k or less 1200 for a timing belt? You don't even need to tune that engine, the ECU self calibrates, just replace the plugs, get NGK Iridium off ebay for $40. Get a new cap and rotor or don't...........mine is original 216k......just brushed off the white dust started at -10F. Carb what?my 96 is even fuel injected just buy Techron for $15 or don't won't matter much. But do change your fuel filter, that actually matters.

If it were me, take it to Firestone or any decent shop, get a new quote, should be closer to $1500 and probably keep it. The don't call it a stealership for a reason, and that comes for a Toy Master Tech on ToyotaNation. Cars don't sell just jack prices on parts rinse repeat.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:42 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
It is still an old car but the low millage will bring a better resell, see any car over ten years is an older car , and cars over 25 years are antique cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion