Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 PM

455 posts, read 597,875 times

Advertisements

The 2015 Toyota Camry: "The official car of menopause"

And that C-pillar is pretty bad too

Last edited by NWarty; 04-16-2014 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 04:18 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The 90's era Camrys and Corollas were already the perfect appliance car that were high quality, low cost, would go forever with no hassles and give no surprises. The technology has plateaued. The last thing a typical Camry buyer needs (or wants) is turbo or direct injection; they just want the engine to fire up every morning and get them to work.
They certainly do want it, they just don't know what they are missing because perception has not caught on with reality. If everyone is offering modern drivetrains there is zero excuse for being the odd man out unless of course the excuse is saving money. Toyota isn't carrying on with ancient drivetrains and platforms for the good of the consumer, they are doing it for their own short term benefit.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:08 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoastal View Post
Please Toyota, give up on that horrid grille. They are doing the same thing to their Lexus models. I simply will not buy one of their cars with it. Shame because I liked the new Lexus IS otherwise.
I agree... that lower grill is terrible - way to large - it reminds me of the ugly Sonata Hybrid grill. Audi has also went with a hideous huge grill on its latest models.

I agree with others about the c-pillar as well... why not put a real window there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The 90's era Camrys and Corollas were already the perfect appliance car that were high quality, low cost, would go forever with no hassles and give no surprises. The technology has plateaued. The last thing a typical Camry buyer needs (or wants) is turbo or direct injection; they just want the engine to fire up every morning and get them to work.
Absolutely. The mid 80s-mid 90s Toyotas were high quality - interiors were high quality materials and fit-n-finish was excellent. Some of the newer models are still lacking (like the Venza), but the latest Camry and Corolla seem to now have a high quality interior again. The late 2000s (2005-2010) Toyotas were terrible.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
The Camry is the best-selling car for twelve years straight... and this writer says Toyota is in a "precarious position"?

I'm sure Ford, Chevy and Nissan wish they were that precarious.

I guess when a writer can't find anything newsworthy, they feel they have to make something up.

BTW, will cars sold in San Diego get the same front snowplow that that one has? Why?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:20 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,337,660 times
So they are redesigning the Camry already after 3 years? or is it just that particular trim line? but yeah it's hideous front and back. I have to disagree with everyone saying people buying Toyotas just want reliability and screw looks um that would be the corolla. I'm sorry but for me 30k for a xle is not cheap and although it is not a lexus, it's not a Mitsubishi lancer for heaven sakes.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
Toyota under Akio has gone from bland to ghastly. These gaping maw front ends proliferating throughout the Toyota and Lexus lineup look like an afterthought; they don't mesh with anything behind the A-pillar. There is a visual dishonesty having a massive mesh grille when the actual opening for the lower air dam is a tiny slit. Good designers adhere to the mantra form follows function, something Toyota seems to be lacking these days.

After all the pot shots Chrysler got for blacking out the C-pillar on the Sebring / 200 to make it look thinner, I can't believe Toyota just did the same thing. It looks terrible.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Looks like some young kid drawing cartoon cars had a hand in the design. It literally looks like its one of those lowered Hondas with the giant guppy front air deflectors.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The Camry is the best-selling car for twelve years straight... and this writer says Toyota is in a "precarious position"?

I'm sure Ford, Chevy and Nissan wish they were that precarious.

I guess when a writer can't find anything newsworthy, they feel they have to make something up.

BTW, will cars sold in San Diego get the same front snowplow that that one has? Why?
Best selling car, yes, but it's not news that the Camry has been struggling and Toyota has been piling on incentives to move them off the lots. Best seller doesn't mean much if you are losing market share and your average transaction prices are among the lowest in the segment.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I wish they would show photos of the models that will sell in higher volume, such as the LE or even the XLE. All automakers always seem to give the first look using the "sportiest" versions.

I wonder if the grill on the LE will be toned down?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I wish they would show photos of the models that will sell in higher volume, such as the LE or even the XLE. All automakers always seem to give the first look using the "sportiest" versions.

I wonder if the grill on the LE will be toned down?
Go here to see the non-SE version (silver car)
2015 Toyota Camry Photo Gallery - Autoblog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion