Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 12:37 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I have a 92 and get at best 17 mpg on the highway. Never measured city but its not that good.
How do you like the new 4Runner's looks? Personally I like it a lot. It looks mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 04:42 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
How do you like the new 4Runner's looks? Personally I like it a lot. It looks mean
I am a big 4Runner fan and like them all. I really like the new package TRD Pro coming out next year. Would love to get one.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:12 AM
C8N C8N started this thread

1,119 posts, read 3,227,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Check all your fuse. Especially fuel pump relay, and ecu fuse.

What do you plan to do with it. Fix it to keep? Or flip it?
Will keep for a bit and use as a beater. In hind sight, checking the fuse should have been the next logical step but stupid me... being a beginner DIY guy, when it didn't start with a new battery, it caught me off guard and my mind went blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
This vehicle does not need 94 octane fuel.

As far as fuel system issues for it having sat up, octane will make no difference.

Don in Austin
Yes, but I was expecting some bad gas in the tank and thought it would be beneficial to have it mix with some high octane gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
make sure that your battery cables are in good shape-I had my e350 ford motor home sit for a long time-engine turned over but did not start, I could not hear the fuel pump engage. I thought it was the fuel pump, but it turned out to be bad battery cables that were not delivering enough juice to engage the fuel pump.

BTW I have a 1998 SR5 4Runner-still going strong at 185k miles.
No issues with the cables.... at least not that I saw. Under the hood, it is surprisingly good shape. No dry rotting whatsoever. When I dropped in a new battery, the thing cranked like no tomorrow.

I have to check towing prices. Getting the damn thing from NY to NJ might cost a pretty penny.
Even if I get this thing started, there is no way I am going to be able to drive this thing back considering the state of the brakes and rotors are in. Definitely not safe to be driven.

One thing that saddens me is that... once I get this thing in my garage, my other car will have to live outside for a while until I get this thing road ready.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Will keep for a bit and use as a beater. In hind sight, checking the fuse should have been the next logical step but stupid me... being a beginner DIY guy, when it didn't start with a new battery, it caught me off guard and my mind went blank.

Yes, but I was expecting some bad gas in the tank and thought it would be beneficial to have it mix with some high octane gas.

No issues with the cables.... at least not that I saw. Under the hood, it is surprisingly good shape. No dry rotting whatsoever. When I dropped in a new battery, the thing cranked like no tomorrow.

I have to check towing prices. Getting the damn thing from NY to NJ might cost a pretty penny.
Even if I get this thing started, there is no way I am going to be able to drive this thing back considering the state of the brakes and rotors are in. Definitely not safe to be driven.

One thing that saddens me is that... once I get this thing in my garage, my other car will have to live outside for a while until I get this thing road ready.
This thing is going to drain your wallet quickly. Old cars like this are money pits. If you are not loaded nor have good mechanical skills I would look to flip it quickly.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
This thing is going to drain your wallet quickly. Old cars like this are money pits. If you are not loaded nor have good mechanical skills I would look to flip it quickly.
This truck will serve 2 purpose for me.
First is to be used as our 2nd vehicle.
Second is for me to goof around with so that I can learn via hands on training if you will.

I can do basic maintenance at this point but I wanted to take my learning a bit further. If I screw up... no harm done.... well I should say no BIG harm done.

I am thinking it should cost me around an additional $700 or so to get this road ready. Can't estimate how long it will take tho...

Old 07-07-2014, 08:52 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
C8N, check into a car tow 'dolly' and a rental truck if you don't have a tow vehicle, it should be waaay cheaper than a tow unless you have AAA or some other roadside service.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
This truck will serve 2 purpose for me.
First is to be used as our 2nd vehicle.
Second is for me to goof around with so that I can learn via hands on training if you will.

I can do basic maintenance at this point but I wanted to take my learning a bit further. If I screw up... no harm done.... well I should say no BIG harm done.

I am thinking it should cost me around an additional $700 or so to get this road ready. Can't estimate how long it will take tho...
Then it should serve it's purpose well. Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
C8N, check into a car tow 'dolly' and a rental truck if you don't have a tow vehicle, it should be waaay cheaper than a tow unless you have AAA or some other roadside service.
Thank you for the suggestion but I am not sure if I want to go that route.
Considering the truck needs to pass through a garage, i don't want to risk anything. At least with the towing service, they will have insurance just in case any damage is caused to the garage.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:03 PM

Holy moly... just got the quote for towing.... $400....

Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Holy moly... just got the quote for towing.... $400....
How many miles is it? You might want to take CCc Girl's recommendation. Just leave it in the driveway and have a couple of buddies push it into your garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion