Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:22 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,112 times

Advertisements

I am 12 months into my 2014 BMW lease. However, the BMW sucks up gas, and want to replace it with a 2014 Prius. I went to a Toyota dealer to get a price. The 2014 Prius will cost $500 a month, for 72 months (6 years) and includes:

6.1" Touch-Screen w/ Integrated Backup Camera Display
Six Speakers
A variety of different Apps
Navigation
Aux Jack
USB Port
And Some Other Stuff (Leather Seats, 90 Days Of XM, Bing Search App, etc).

And in case you are wondering, the Prius was originally $379, but the extra $121 was to buy back the remaining 24 months of my lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 06:40 PM

8,689 posts, read 11,078,805 times
o boy, you are a in pile of poop

Old 08-22-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
o boy, you are a in pile of poop
Its not as bad as you think...

My BMW sucks up a lot of gas. The very nice, almost fully loaded Toyota Prius originally costs $379 a month. Toyota will buy back my lease, if I add $121 a month, instead of paying nearly $15K to buy back my lease on the BMW. Then, I may try to get the Prius for less and submit an offer for $450-475. I need to get it by 8/25

Last edited by DrPizza; 08-22-2014 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Being Sarcastic

Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
A friend of mine has Prius and a Beatle . She likes both but really loves the Prius. It drives nicely, it's very quiet on the highway, it is a comfortable ride, and it gets great mileage. I cannot see where you would go wrong. If you do much talking and driving she bought a gadget from Verizon that works with her phone in any car. It clips on the visor.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:51 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
No.

What's the BMW lease anyway? $350-500 maybe? Or are we talking about a 7-series?
You'd barely come out ahead if at all. If you're leasing, you're not driving a lot. 3-series doesn't get bad gas mileage although certainly not Prius mileage.

Wait until the lease is up. Next gen Prius should be out by then anyway, supposedly (rumor mill) another significant improvement.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
A friend of mine has Prius and a Beatle . She likes both but really loves the Prius. It drives nicely, it's very quiet on the highway, it is a comfortable ride, and it gets great mileage. I cannot see where you would go wrong. If you do much talking and driving she bought a gadget from Verizon that works with her phone in any car. It clips on the visor.
Even the base model Prius has Bluetooth, works a hell of a lot better than speakerphone.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
I drive a Prius. It is no sports car, but, overall, it is an excellent vehicle and the fuel economy is pretty much unbeatable.

Based on your post, here is my take:

The nav system is not worth the money--skip it. (This is true for a lot of vehicles, not just the Prius.)

Other than that, my ONLY real complaint about the Prius is that the vehicle interior is a bit noisier than I would expect for a quality vehicle. Aside from that, I'm completely happy with mine. I should note that my driving includes a lot of highway miles, mountain driving (in all seasons, all at altitudes above 5,000 ft.), some in-town driving, and a fair amount of driving in winter conditions. I'm not a "slouch" driver--I expect my vehicle to keep up with traffic and accelerate adequately for normal driving conditions.

Reliability? So far, ZERO issues. Follow regular maintenance and go. I fully expect the thing to go 300K without major issues.

If you're willing to sacrifice 45-50+ mpg for about 40 mpg under all driving conditions, opt for a Camry Hybrid. Quiet, very comfortable, and very adequate performance. I bought the Prius over the Camry Hybrid because the Prius hatchback allows me to haul a BUNCH of stuff with the rear seats folded down.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I drive a Prius. It is no sports car, but, overall, it is an excellent vehicle and the fuel economy is pretty much unbeatable.

Based on your post, here is my take:

The nav system is not worth the money--skip it. (This is true for a lot of vehicles, not just the Prius.)

Other than that, my ONLY real complaint about the Prius is that the vehicle interior is a bit noisier than I would expect for a quality vehicle. Aside from that, I'm completely happy with mine. I should note that my driving includes a lot of highway miles, mountain driving (in all seasons, all at altitudes above 5,000 ft.), some in-town driving, and a fair amount of driving in winter conditions. I'm not a "slouch" driver--I expect my vehicle to keep up with traffic and accelerate adequately for normal driving conditions.

Reliability? So far, ZERO issues. Follow regular maintenance and go. I fully expect the thing to go 300K without major issues.

If you're willing to sacrifice 45-50+ mpg for about 40 mpg under all driving conditions, opt for a Camry Hybrid. Quiet, very comfortable, and very adequate performance. I bought the Prius over the Camry Hybrid because the Prius hatchback allows me to haul a BUNCH of stuff with the rear seats folded down.
Jazz, what model did you you end up getting? Only thing that I find I'm missing is the Prius 2 is the smart key is the cheapo version. Stupid thing I didn't even check. I was used to the old system were you either had it or didn't. Prius 3 and up has the smart key for passenger/trunk as well as driver's door. Prius 2 is driver's door only. It's almost worth the extra money in retrospect.

For me, interior noise is the opposite. I'm coming from a Mazda3 though, so it's nice to have the much quieter interior. The LRR tires at low speed is annoying. And it's still a hatchback and I've never seen one that didn't develop rattles a few years in.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 PM

Notes:

If I buy the Prius for 28K, Toyota will send me a check for 11K, the amount to buy back the lease (I was being sarcastic about the 30K to buy it back). I can probably get it for 25K. I am going over to Toyota of Westport tomorrow to test drive it, maybe even buy it. Any more suggestions?

Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Notes:

If I buy the Prius for 28K, Toyota will send me a check for 11K, the amount to buy back the lease (I was being sarcastic about the 30K to buy it back). I can probably get it for 25K. I am going over to Toyota of Westport tomorrow to test drive it, maybe even buy it. Any more suggestions?
They're about $4k or so off MSRP right now. $2,000 factory back and about another $2000 off at the dealer. End of the model life, clearing out stock for the new one. If MSRP is $28k shoot for $24k or lower. Shouldn't have any trouble. I bought it now because the price in the last few months just fell through the floor with the $2k back from Toyota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion