Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:20 AM

19 posts, read 32,457 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your suggestions. I will have the car fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 AM

549 posts, read 717,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaksivaraman View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I will have the car fixed.
It's good to read that. Your wallet says "Thank you!"

Best of luck with it. Additionally, if you have any more particular questions that may not be answered here, check out these two forums:

"toyota nation" or "camry forums"

Old 10-14-2014, 02:23 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,704,003 times
Heck yeah, fix it! You can't replace it for 850 dollars

Old 10-14-2014, 07:55 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,776,418 times
Awhile back I had an oil leak from the gasket on the oil pump cover on an 87 Camry (3S-FE 4-cylinder engine), if your mechanic is looking at a fix that includes timing belt and water pump, this may be the issue.

OP, I would consider how much oil it leaks. If it only leaks say a quart a week in normal use, $850 buys a lot of oil. Just keep an eye on it in case the leak gets worse.

If you decide to do the fix, I would suggest you get new accessory drive belts (alternator, power steering, etc.) and at least the upper radiator hose replaced with new at the same time. The accessory belts have to come off to do the water pump and timing belt, the upper radiator hose I think does not but I would do it as a precaution, since the antifreeze will be drained and replaced as well.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,135,273 times
Oil leak can have many sources but I have never heard the timing belt to be one. If the mechanic doesn't know where the leak is coming from you might spend the money and still have the leak. Demand to know the source before going on a fishing expedition.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 PM

2,131 posts, read 3,557,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I have a 99 Toyota Camry with about 93k miles. I had the 90k mile service done last spring (if you haven't, you should) they changed the timing belt, water pump, among a few other things, and it was around $900. The timing belt and water pump were the main expense, so I think that your quote is very reasonable.

Go to the edmunds website and look at the reviews on the vehicle. I bought the car for my gf last January, as the reviews I found were some of the best I ever read. Tons of people saying the vehicle made it to 250k, 300k+ miles with excellent reliability. Your car could easily last another 100k miles more if it is maintained properly.

Key word.. If maintained properly.. If you haven't changed your timing belt yet, then it's an indication there may be other maintenance you're also avoiding, as it's very clearly supposed to be changed at 90k miles. While it's an expensive part of maintenance, I believe if it breaks, expect the cost to be more like 2k to 3k, as it will severely damage the engine.
Incorrect. The car will coast to a stop. That is all. This is not an interference engine.

Don in Austin

Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Oil leak can have many sources but I have never heard the timing belt to be one. If the mechanic doesn't know where the leak is coming from you might spend the money and still have the leak. Demand to know the source before going on a fishing expedition.
Under the timing belt sprockets are camshaft, crankshaft and oil pump shaft seals. These frequently leak. Also the oil pump cover "O" ring predictably gets hard and brittle and leaks. So, obviously the timing belt itself can not leak oil, but a good comprehensive timing belt service package will address several oil leaks or, at the very least, potential oil leaks. At my shop, my stepson has done too many of these to count. The only way we even consider accepting the job is timing belt, water pump, camshaft, crankshaft, oil pump shaft seals, oil pump "O" ring and tensioner,

Don in Austin

Old 10-14-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Awhile back I had an oil leak from the gasket on the oil pump cover on an 87 Camry (3S-FE 4-cylinder engine), if your mechanic is looking at a fix that includes timing belt and water pump, this may be the issue......
You can expect the oil pump cover to leak at high miles. it is routinely included with a timing belt service when we perform one on these engines.

Don in Austin

Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 AM

3,316 posts, read 4,103,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Under the timing belt sprockets are camshaft, crankshaft and oil pump shaft seals. These frequently leak. Also the oil pump cover "O" ring predictably gets hard and brittle and leaks. So, obviously the timing belt itself can not leak oil, but a good comprehensive timing belt service package will address several oil leaks or, at the very least, potential oil leaks. At my shop, my stepson has done too many of these to count. The only way we even consider accepting the job is timing belt, water pump, camshaft, crankshaft, oil pump shaft seals, oil pump "O" ring and tensioner,

Don in Austin
Excellent post, wish you had been the mechanic that serviced the timing belt in my '96 Camry. I bought the car a couple years ago with 120K, 2.2 engine, it had service papers for timing belt replacement. They did NOT change all of the seals and it leaks oil out the bottom of the timing belt cover. It looks like it's leaking a lot from the puddles in the driveway, but really only leaks about half a quart every 1000 miles.

One thing I learned about buying old Camry's, buy them in the dead cold of winter because that's when all the problems show up. Such as the leaky power steering fluid problem from the steering rack, which only leaks when it's super cold, because the seals shrink up in the cold, even after you put Lucas power steering stop leak fluid in it which helps considerably, and keeps it from leaking most of the year until it gets super cold around 10 degrees or below, then you have to keep an eye on it. Then there's the annoying vibrating steering wheel problem you notice when you put it in gear or idol at a stop light, caused by fatigued old motor mounts that stiffen up from the cold, problem goes away when temp is above freezing. I saw in the service papers it had one of the mounts, the "dog bone" mount replaced already, but none of the others. Not a big problem, just a little annoying and it always goes away when the weather warms up.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,956,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post

Don in Austin
Bingo. ^^^^This here is experience talking. OP ask the mechanic to show you where the leaks at?
A knowledgeable mechanic should be able to show and prove to you.

Lets just hope the leak is not the rear main seal. That would be another 500bucks labor to replace a 6 dollar part..

Moford, broken dog bone mount on top is notorious on all Toyota vehicles.
You can do this at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion