Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:04 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I've been investigating the Ford Fusion and Toyota Camry hybrids, but it seems like dealers around here stock a pitifully small number of both cars and they are usually optioned to the nines, putting their stickers at at least $30k and up to $34k on a car whose MSRP starts at around the $26-$26.5k mark. Mmmmmmmmm nope...
Wrong way to think about it. In my 45 years of driving and automobile/truck ownership, I have only purchased two vehicles brand new, (all the rest were "used"). In both cases, I did my homework first.

Read the manufacture brochures, (if they even have them anymore); peruse the manufacture web site; learn all about the cars and what is available. Figure out exactly what you want. This includes color, interior, and all options you would want . . . and also those you don't want.

Then, go to the dealership and say, "I want 'this'. If you don't have it in stock, or you can't trade with another dealership, then order one for me. I know this trim model/color/option package is available, and a vehicle with these specifications fulfill my needs perfectly." Then, let them find your car at another dealership, or have them order one from Toyota/Ford. You might have to wait, but you'll get exactly what you want.

There are plenty of internet places where you'll get a pretty good idea what it will cost you. Even if you go through a 'fleet program', such as Costco; they will order exactly what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 11:22 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
I'm not really a hybrid fan and I don't like it, but I can't argue with the Prius. It is exceptionally reliable and efficient and has decent people/cargo room.

I would avoid the C-Max. The trunk on those things with the rear seat up is useless and they are plagued with issues.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
I wasn't really sold on the Prius's interior, seemed like cheap plastic to me. Then I saw stock photos of the interior of the Persona trim and it doesn't appear to have the same surfaces. That is a big PLUS in my book! I've sent out some inquiries to a few dealerships, hopefully I'll be able to cut a good deal on one.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:47 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
I wasn't really sold on the Prius's interior, seemed like cheap plastic to me. Then I saw stock photos of the interior of the Persona trim and it doesn't appear to have the same surfaces. That is a big PLUS in my book! I've sent out some inquiries to a few dealerships, hopefully I'll be able to cut a good deal on one.
I don't know too much about the Prius, but my wife and I did test drive a Prius V in 2012. We thought the interior was comparable to the fully loaded Fusion hybrid which I imagine is just as nice if not nicer than the C-Max. Maybe there is a difference between the top trim Prius V and the Prius III which is only mid-level?

Old 10-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I don't know too much about the Prius, but my wife and I did test drive a Prius V in 2012. We thought the interior was comparable to the fully loaded Fusion hybrid which I imagine is just as nice if not nicer than the C-Max. Maybe there is a difference between the top trim Prius V and the Prius III which is only mid-level?
Dunno, I've never seen a Prius V but their stickers are generally much higher than I'm willing to go. The Persona might be the perfect compromise for me.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:32 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,226,720 times
Quote:
The Accord hybrid is more than I want to spend. The Camry hybrid is OK; mileage isn't all that impressive but it's better than the C-Max. I just wish it was a hatchback or liftback. I really am OVER sedans.

Then again, the Prius has the look and feel of a cheap entry-level car but with a midrange price tag. At least the Camry looks and feels like a (boring uninspiring) Camry.

Ahhhh true my hybrid seeking friend but, do not forget, someday you have to get RID of the car, I'd argue that the Camry will go much, much more quickly than a used Ford C-Max or used Prius? The Camry may be boring and yet, it's THE number one car sold in America....all those drivers can't ALL be wrong, can they?

It won't win a beauty contest. None of them will but, if you can spring a few grand more, the camry sedan will deliver quiet, consistent and RELIABLE good mileage for years. Let's face it, ANY new car ends the honeymoon in about a year, or less. They all end up with that curvy back on the seat, shift in the middle, mediocre stereos and pretty predictable driving....ALL of them.

Now, fast forward 5 years? 8 years? Which one gave/gives the better value? ANY Toyota product and I would think between the two of them? The Camry will get the nod. Camry, while predictable is sensible from a business perspective....the Prius??? I guess it's an "acquired" taste?

One gives you 43 in town, the other 51....8mpg difference...roughly....that will vary on driving habits. Said another way, for another 5-10% in cost and a 10-15% more in fuel, the Camry IS affordable and highly "disposable" when the time comes? On an annual basis of $1,000 in gas for the Prius (roughly 15K per year?) I think that would come to about $100-$150 per year more on the Camry or $10-$15 per month.....$2-$4 a week.....I'm in....then perhaps all or most of that is recouped at trade-in/private seller time.....a thought....

When you go to sell the Prius, a Democrat is going to show up, haggle, criticize the lack of Prius III versus the Prius II you got, and probably have to go "look at a few more" and "get the loan".....

The Camry? A Republican, WITH cash in hand, checks the maintenance and condition, has the assessment, buys the car, leaves and you don't even have to so much as cash a check....

Your call.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:40 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,430 times
Politicians buy used cars?

Old 10-30-2014, 03:36 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,280,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post

The Camry? A Republican, WITH cash in hand, checks the maintenance and condition, has the assessment, buys the car, leaves and you don't even have to so much as cash a check....

Your call.
Pfft. Republicans buy these - Because everyone needs a 707hp family sedan. Oh, and get the CMax. It's better than the tin can sounding Priui.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:58 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,385,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Pfft. Republicans buy these - Because everyone needs a 707hp family sedan.
I'm a Republican and I would buy a Charger Hellcat any day of the week.

Too bad I won't be car shopping for another decade.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:28 PM

I'm not a Democrat, FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion