Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 01:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

I don't know why some people hate my Prius so much. I've had a Subaru WRX STI and I ended up driving the Prius more because it saves so much gas actually has more usable interior space than the STI. Sure the driving is more fun on the STI but I for daily driving I the Prius is practical. I don't have to worry about shifting gears or watch out for the police. The Prius is perfect for daily commute and I fill gas maybe once every 2-3 weeks rather than once a week with the STI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 02:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
He spent his money domestically, unless he flew to Japan to buy it. Supported a local dealer, employing locals. Will likely get it serviced by locals, and a number of components are made in the U.S.

This is a global economy we live in. You want to support US companies, buy their stock. If you think buying a final product assembled in the US makes a significant impact v. one assembled elsewhere, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
I'm a she.

You make some good points. It's just hard to explain it to people who ask "Why didn't you buy American?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I bought a new Prius today -- III trim. I don't know if I got a good deal on it, but my 2000 F250 was to the point that it was going to be very costly to maintain if kept. I like what I've heard and read about the Prius, so my wife and I took a couple for test drives today. We both liked them. No more worries about unexpected high maintenance on the F250.
So far I like the Prius. The only gripes I have so far is that the cabin is loud (I knew that before I bought it) and my iPod doesn't work with the car's head unit. I have a very old iPod classic and it doesn't work through the USB connection (skips constantly) and I hear it's a very common issue.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You won't regret it. I have a pretty good cost comparison between a Prius and a Ford HD 4WD pickup, I own a Prius and drive and HD for work-related purposes. I keep rigorous cost records on vehicles. The Prius, in total operating and ownership costs, costs about exactly 1/3 per mile to drive compared to the HD. Since you live in Wyoming (I used to live there) where everything amounts to a lot of driving, that cost difference will become obvious to you pretty quickly. The only thing about the Prius that has unpleasantly surprised me is that the interior of the Prius is actually noisier than that of the base model Ford HD diesel that I drive for work. Toyota needs to address that.
Yeah, I worked up a cost estimate on them last spring and came to the same conclusion. I should have traded then, before a series of problems cropped up on the F250. My only concern now is that I'll be without a 4x4 for the first time in 40+ years. I have a feeling we'll be trading my wife's car for a used AWD before long. (She wouldn't drive the pickup the two miles to work because it's a stick -- and too big.)

Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Yeah, I worked up a cost estimate on them last spring and came to the same conclusion. I should have traded then, before a series of problems cropped up on the F250. My only concern now is that I'll be without a 4x4 for the first time in 40+ years. I have a feeling we'll be trading my wife's car for a used AWD before long. (She wouldn't drive the pickup the two miles to work because it's a stick -- and too big.)
As long as the snow isn't deep, the Prius does remarkably well. I've driven mine in some pretty awful winter road conditions with its stock all-season tires. You have to work at it to make it slip. Put dedicated winter tires on it (albeit at a slight hit on fuel economy) and it should really (pleasantly) surprise you on slick roads.

Also, don't be surprised if you mpg's drop to (oh, the horror of it all ) around 45 mpg during the cold winter months. The gas engine just has to run more to maintain operating temperature in the winter. That's about a 10% hit on fuel economy, about the same as what a non-hybrid gets whacked on fuel economy in the winter.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,063,773 times
Ford v Toyota? Only one choice - Toyota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion