Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:49 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

Bluetooth adapter is $50. Sides as music streaming device. You DO have Aux jack, I know that. Back up camera is another $50 through $150 or so, depending on how large a display you wish.
You will have better mpg with Corolla. If you were a normal sized person, new one is OK on internal room.
It's also a losy car to drive. Civic has much more giddy up.
But financially it all makes no sense whatsoever. I think it's easy to assume that Carfax on your Camry is tared black cuz of accident, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 03:12 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
The Corolla is a really cheap car (the harshest review I saw summarized the 2014 Corolla as "The best new car of 2003," implying that the machinery is really behind the times). The Civic is the clear winner in the compact sedan class.

The Camry is going to be quieter, more comfortable, more powerful, more reliable over the long haul (that better engine isn't working as hard as the Corolla's engine), more stable and confident on the highway, safer, and just overall nicer with better materials and fit/finish.

Keep the car you have for another few years (and enjoy a couple years driving it free and clear if you make it long enough), learn how to use the Aux jack, and look around you when back up. You next car will have BT and backup camera.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:23 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
The Corolla is a really cheap car (the harshest review I saw summarized the 2014 Corolla as "The best new car of 2003," implying that the machinery is really behind the times). The Civic is the clear winner in the compact sedan class.

The Camry is going to be quieter, more comfortable, more powerful, more reliable over the long haul (that better engine isn't working as hard as the Corolla's engine), more stable and confident on the highway, safer, and just overall nicer with better materials and fit/finish.

Keep the car you have for another few years (and enjoy a couple years driving it free and clear if you make it long enough), learn how to use the Aux jack, and look around you when back up. You next car will have BT and backup camera.
The 2014 Toyota Corolla Is 2003's Best New Car

Old 11-07-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Ah, that's the one.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:19 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
I know this sounds ridiculous but I struggle with driving, especially parking and reversing. A smaller car would help squeeze into tight spaces, and the backup camera too. I got the Camry because of peer pressure from family.

I guess I can install a backup camera, which helps with reversing, but the Camry is hard for me to park.

I feel like my Camry is a big clunky $444/month money sucking, sunroofless and Bluetooth musicless blob lol.

Other cars on my mind besides Corolla are Mazda3, Civic, Forte. Maybe even lease them. Feeling super burned on my 25000 mile service which just cost $120 (though after 2 years free service).

Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
Thanks for the tips about Bluetooth music adapter I'll have to look into that

Old 11-21-2014, 09:33 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
I also struggle with driving in reserve, when I had my Altima. I really liked the Mazda 3 and would have come with it if I didn't live in New England with the snow. Instead, I went with a Subaru Impreza. Prices to lease for a base Impreza was $7 less a month with $1000 down and Subaru gave me 3000 more miles a year (15,000 compared to 12,000 for the mazda). I think the Mazda 3 the guy quoted me for was the Sport trim

Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I also struggle with driving in reserve, when I had my Altima. I really liked the Mazda 3 and would have come with it if I didn't live in New England with the snow. Instead, I went with a Subaru Impreza. Prices to lease for a base Impreza was $7 less a month with $1000 down and Subaru gave me 3000 more miles a year (15,000 compared to 12,000 for the mazda). I think the Mazda 3 the guy quoted me for was the Sport trim
I don't understand this comment. Can you please elaborate?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was reading backwards and saw you probably were responding to the comment about driving in reverse.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:42 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
If you are reserved when driving, try a more aggressive approach.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:26 PM

Well, $120 for your planned service and checkups isn't bad--really it's a small investment to take care of a very complex and expensive machine--but there are ways to minimize the cost IF you know what you're doing.

For instance, you can safely skip brake pad inspections by waiting for the noisemakers to start making noise instead. When the wheels start screeching and squealing everywhere you go, those are your "brake wear indicators" telling you that it's time to make a service appointment for your brakes.

If you know that hoses and drive belts easily last 100,000 miles these days, you don't need to pay to have them inspected starting every 15,000 miles.

If your parking/emergency brake works properly, skip the periodic "inspection and adjustment," as an inspection would only reveal that no adjustment is necessary.

On the other hand, you do need every oil and fluid change, and all of the filters too. Some things, like spark plug replacements, timing belt replacements (on some cars--thankfully fewer and fewer these days), and valve adjustments are also necessary, but not until much later--closer to 100,000 miles. Air filters tend to be very easy to do for yourself, so you can conceivably save a few dollars there, but even that's not for everyone.

Tire rotations are necessary. It's a good idea to have it done every time you get an oil change. You can pay a few bucks for the dealer/oil change place to do it, but you can have it done for free at places like Discount Tire. Only problem with that is you need to make two appointments and bring your car two different places. Cost vs. convenience.

As for what car to recommend, you should probably check out the Civic. It has all the technology you're after in a nicer, more powerful car than a Corolla with Honda's superior safety reputation, plus it has a thingy that keeps track of all your oil changes and other maintenance. (I drive 30,000 miles a year and need to get 200,000 reliable miles from my cars, so the Maintenance Minder is one of my very favorite features on my Honda.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion