Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

I tested a 2014 Corolla LE Plus (with optional nav) and loved it. I thought it felt like a much larger car and it rode very smoothly... thanks to a long wheelbase and soft and supple (for a small car) suspension. I am waiting though...

If you want one (Corolla), wait and get a 2015 model made starting in December. I have been told by a reliable source that starting with the models made in December (maybe even now in November), are going to have a stronger structure to make it a better performer in the IIHS SMALL overlap crash test... the 2014 model only scored "marginal".

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 07:21 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,748 times
I got the 2015 Corolla LE Plus (no nav) $20,322, minus $4500 holiday discount, plus $500 unrequested window tint. $16,322 before dealer fees and everything. I owed $8400 on the Camry, got $12k for it, ended up financing $14k.

Toyota in Georgia is being extremely aggressive with pricing. Truecar for the LE Plus is just $15,664. Was looking at the LE ($15,283) at first for the backup camera, but Plus had my color, and I get foglights and nicer wheels.

I also test drove the Honda Civic LX yesterday. The base Civic LX is more expensive per truecar/dealer at $18,865. It did feel like a better drive, and higher quality inside, but less fully featured and more cramped than the Corolla. I tried to get the dealer to justify why I should pay so much more for the Civic than the Corolla and he said "safety ratings" and "standard features".

The features he mentioned like bluetooth, rear camera, on the mid model Corolla LE were cheaper than the base model Civic LX. The Corolla also had a lot more rear leg room, it had a rear midseat cupholder, a trunk open button on the keys, faux leather/stitching. Seemed like a no brainer.

It does feel wobbly though, when I go over speed bumps, I feel like a part of the Corolla dies everytime, I never felt that with the old Camry.

But now I get bluetooth music, my camera, a smaller car

Old 12-21-2014, 07:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Camry is a larger/ up level; car in comparison. Just the weight and the wheel size makes a huge difference on bumps.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:30 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
sorry but the corolla is a big step down to a camry. I have driven a corolla long distances and they are a lot louder and less powerfull then the camry. not sure why you went with the l instead of the le. they really aren't much more.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:38 AM

I went with the Corolla LE Plus, not the L.

If you mean the Camry, in hindsight, I might have been a lot more satisfied if I got the LE. I was just focused on getting an appliance that could get me from A to B, which I regretted.

Still, I do like the shorter length of the Corolla. It's insane in Atlanta how people park, 10 inches off length helps. The Corolla does feel sluggish, but I am not the kind of person that zips and merges all over the highway anyway.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:38 PM

592 posts, read 460,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
I personally will never understand this intense hatred and loathing that some people have for my car. It's comfortable, gets great gas mileage (I average about 38 mpg combined) and is a lot quieter on the road than my dad's Honda civic. I would think if the self-righteous, snotty auto enthusiasts aren't crazy about it, they would just ignore it and focus on cars that other enthusiasts actually buy. Why spend so much energy trashing a car that so-called "enthusiasts" wouldn't even consider anyway? These condescending morons really get on my nerves every now and then

Old 03-28-2015, 09:57 AM

True that. Even though it may not have been a "financially smart" move, I'm a lot happier with my new Corolla. 2 more years of payments, but over $100 less per month. I'm reverse parking a lot more now too lol.

Despite being at the bottom of reviews and rankings, I used independent judgment to figure that the Corolla's high resale value, good reliability, super cheap with the rearview camera meant it was the car for me. It's the best selling compact car in recent months, while the highly rated Civic is just sitting on dealer's lots.
Popular Cars See Inventories Bloat | Sales & Marketing content from WardsAuto

In 4.5 years, I hope to trade it in for at least $10k, get another $20k car with collision prevention, CarPlay, etc. for just ~$200 a month

The only thing I'm not feeling about the Corolla is I think the CVT transmission makes really weird noises, especially during the cold. When I barely accelerated, it sounds like it's grinding against something. I have to dump it before the powertrain warranty expires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion