Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 12:39 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,046,958 times

Advertisements

After all the smoke clears - a Prius is fine in Minnesota. No reason why you cannot succeed using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 01:58 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
So an interesting update, the sales man from the dealership called and said someone wanted to buy my year and model of prius and asked if we would consider trading it in, that we could get a new prius v for lower payments (we have paid enough off I guess).

Now let's say, I don't believe him for a minute. I think he just wants us to trade in for a new car because we wouldn't be backwards on the car payment. I asked, and we could get a hylander.

So while a prius would work, I'm really thinking about the benefits of an suv. Heavier, higher, seems safer. Plus we will be mostly in a city but it would be good to have an option of driving out in the country. I also hate the idea of being stranded.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
If it fits your needs then sure.

However, buying an SUV for "winter" is just a big waste of money. A car with winter tires is more than sufficient.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:22 PM

19 posts, read 36,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Ignorant yes, but cost is the worst argument.

Snow tires are more economical than all-season tires. 1 set of snows + 1 A/S > 2 sets of A/S. You don't need much tread in summer, but people frequently have to chuck half worn A/S tires to be "safe" for winter.

Also, most folks downgrade their rim size for winter, thus getting a cheaper tire. My car has 18" stock rims, but 15" and 16" both fit for winter. There is a huge price increase from 16" to 18" tires.
I should have clarified the cost argument. In the long run, you're right. Even with that said, a number of people will base the choice on short term cost. If someone can only afford to drive a 15 year old beater, there's little chance of them spending $500 for snow tires and rims, especially if the tires/rims will last longer than the car.

In any event, I don't think cost will be an issue if they're now considering trading up to an SUV.

SUV is totally unnecessary unless you need the cargo room. If you do get an SUV to use in MN, make sure it has all wheel drive. It's nice to have, but mostly, SUV's without AWD in MN would take a bigger hit in resale value.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:33 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
If it fits your needs then sure.

However, buying an SUV for "winter" is just a big waste of money. A car with winter tires is more than sufficient.
You're still beating this stupid drum comparing front wheel drive to AWD?

And you feel the need to share these delusions why?

Old 11-13-2014, 02:40 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,596,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
So while a prius would work, I'm really thinking about the benefits of an suv. Heavier, higher, seems safer. Plus we will be mostly in a city but it would be good to have an option of driving out in the country. I also hate the idea of being stranded. Any thoughts?
Just so you know, those of us who live in the country in northern MN have complete contempt for city dwellers who feel they must needs have a big honking SUV in the city, then come up to drive their hogs on narrow roads in the country, thinking they're safe and ignoring conditions. A SUV doesn't guarantee good traction. Top heavy SUV drivers are more likely to overcompensate and flip over on icy roads. The only people I know up north who are dumb enough to drive giant SUVs are weekenders.

If you want a SUV, get a smaller Subaru Outback. Then you'll really blend in!

Old 11-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Geeze, round here a hylander is a tiny suv. You're right though, it might be too large for my needs. Plus I got rid of my mini van so I couldn't agree to foster anymore wayward families kids. "Sorry, I don't even have room in my car for another". It actually works.

One issue with the prius, the heater sucks, massively. It doesn't even get below 40 here very often and it doesn't cut it, especially people in the back.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,989 times
The snow tires guys always show up on these threads, but I wonder where in MN they live. Where I live, Roseville, the roads are cleared all winter. Snow tires would just get chewed up. It's not Lake Tahoe or Durango CO or even Maine. Anyway, I drive a Prius V in Minnesota and it works fine. I also have a Toyota Venza, Toyota Sienna, and 1995 Chevy Blazer at my disposal and I usually just drive the Prius.

I got my drivers license in Bemidji and dove a RWD pickup truck with lousy tires throughout high school. You can get away with almost any car here. The only thing I would suggest against is a soft top convertible.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
The snow tires guys always show up on these threads, but I wonder where in MN they live. Where I live, Roseville, the roads are cleared all winter. Snow tires would just get chewed up. It's not Lake Tahoe or Durango CO or even Maine. Anyway, I drive a Prius V in Minnesota and it works fine. I also have a Toyota Venza, Toyota Sienna, and 1995 Chevy Blazer at my disposal and I usually just drive the Prius.

I got my drivers license in Bemidji and dove a RWD pickup truck with lousy tires throughout high school. You can get away with almost any car here. The only thing I would suggest against is a soft top convertible.
Do you find the heater adequate? We are looking at rochester, and while we want to stay in city limits, we might be on the northern side where we can have a couple acres. Any thoughts?

Old 11-13-2014, 03:25 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Do you find the heater adequate? We are looking at rochester, and while we want to stay in city limits, we might be on the northern side where we can have a couple acres. Any thoughts?
I think so, but I grew up in MN so I am immune to the cold. Today I drove around for about 40 minutes before realizing my heater wasn't on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion