Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:27 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
The snow tires guys always show up on these threads, but I wonder where in MN they live. Where I live, Roseville, the roads are cleared all winter. Snow tires would just get chewed up. It's not Lake Tahoe or Durango CO or even Maine. Anyway, I drive a Prius V in Minnesota and it works fine. I also have a Toyota Venza, Toyota Sienna, and 1995 Chevy Blazer at my disposal and I usually just drive the Prius.

I got my drivers license in Bemidji and dove a RWD pickup truck with lousy tires throughout high school. You can get away with almost any car here. The only thing I would suggest against is a soft top convertible.
I also live in Roseville, my wife's newer Sonata we had to buy snow/rain tires because the summer tires it came with new were absolutely terrible on snow and ice. (But she did get through a winter or two in them before I met her) We bought a winter tire at Norm's that could handle summers too and would last overall much longer then snow only. My soft top Mercedes, the winter elements don't effect it one bit the few times I've driven it during the winter. It's quieter inside then most cars on the road.

OP, just bring the Prius up here and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, trade it in on something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:48 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I think so, but I grew up in MN so I am immune to the cold. Today I drove around for about 40 minutes before realizing my heater wasn't on.
LOL yesterday was the first time I needed to turn the heater on in 9 months and I couldn't remember how.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post

OP, just bring the Prius up here and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, trade it in on something else.
Thats what I have decided to do. Im a bit afraid of winters. I grew up where it snowed every 2 years and melted the same day, spent my adult live in the south. I am really blowing the cold/snow issues out of proportion.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Thats what I have decided to do. Im a bit afraid of winters. I grew up where it snowed every 2 years and melted the same day, spent my adult live in the south. I am really blowing the cold/snow issues out of proportion.
Find a decent shape 1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ, First Gen Nissan Xterra, second generation Nissan Pathfinder, 3rd Generation Toyota 4-Runner or 2nd or 3rd gen Ford Explorer and use it as your winter beater second vehicle for those hasher winter months Op.

All 5 SUVs can be found for very decent prices used and are very reliable and very capable in deeper snow where ground clearance becomes an issue and all 5 have standard or optional 2-speed High-low transfer case if you do plan to use unplowed back roads once and while in winter.

Last edited by GTOlover; 11-13-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 10:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
One issue with the prius, the heater sucks, massively. It doesn't even get below 40 here very often and it doesn't cut it, especially people in the back.
That doesn't sound right. The heater in my Prius will cook you out of the vehicle at temps well below 0° F. outside.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
That doesn't sound right. The heater in my Prius will cook you out of the vehicle at temps well below 0° F. outside.
Im getting it services today, I will have them look at it. I had a lightbulb moment, where its cold you heat up your car for a while first. Still driving it for 40 minutes yesterday (40F out) I was still cold with it on high. Could it be that I am a mega weather wimp?

Old 11-14-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Find a decent shape 1997-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ, First Gen Nissan Xterra, second generation Nissan Pathfinder, 3rd Generation Toyota 4-Runner or 2nd or 3rd gen Ford Explorer and use it as your winter beater second vehicle for those hasher winter months Op.

All 5 SUVs can be found for very decent prices used and are very reliable and very capable in deeper snow where ground clearance becomes an issue and all 5 have standard or optional 2-speed High-low transfer case if you do plan to use unplowed back roads once and while in winter.
Yeah talked to hubby and thats the plan. I will keep these models in mind, sounds like you know your stuff

Old 11-14-2014, 08:48 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
Im getting it services today, I will have them look at it. I had a lightbulb moment, where its cold you heat up your car for a while first. Still driving it for 40 minutes yesterday (40F out) I was still cold with it on high. Could it be that I am a mega weather wimp?
If it's still blowing cold air at you after being run for 40 minutes, there is something wrong with it. I would expect a 2013 Prius is still under warranty, so I'd take it to the dealer and tell them the heater doesn't work. Even in 0° weather, you should be getting heat after 10 or 15 minutes of driving.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
One issue with the prius, the heater sucks, massively. It doesn't even get below 40 here very often and it doesn't cut it, especially people in the back.
Strange. We just purchased a Prius last week, and one of the things my wife commented on was how quickly it warms up and melts the snow/ice off the windows. (It sits outside since my garage is full of crap.) It was around zero this morning, and the windows were covered with a thin layer of ice and snow. I loaded the car with stuff for my trip, started it, then came back inside to make a phone call. I went back out 5 minutes later and the windows were clear, interior was HOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Agreed. It's been mostly below zero here for the past few days, and the heater and defroster work very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
If it's still blowing cold air at you after being run for 40 minutes, there is something wrong with it. I would expect a 2013 Prius is still under warranty, so I'd take it to the dealer and tell them the heater doesn't work. Even in 0° weather, you should be getting heat after 10 or 15 minutes of driving.
You've absolutely hit the nail on the head. Thermostat might be stuck open.

OP, just for your info about the Prius on snowy roads: We traded our aging 4x4 F250 on our Prius, so for the first time in more than 40 years, I have no 4x4 nor AWD vehicle. I figured we'd trade my wife's car for an AWD, but she told me last night that she was wondering about trading it for a used 2013 we'd seen on the lot last week. I mentioned the AWD plan I had, but she said the way the Prius got around in this latest storm we had, she didn't think we needed AWD. It's done very well in this snow, probably 5". It won't do so well when we get 18 inches!

Old 11-15-2014, 12:29 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Jeez, you're just going to Rochester? Keep your Prius, get the heater fixed, put on a set of new tires. Case closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion