Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 03:24 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I know several people that have a Prius. Selling to get a newer updated model.
This.. I wonder what the statistics are of Prius owners trading in their current Prius for a new Prius, or their lease is up and they lease another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 03:59 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,073,711 times
The Prius is somewhat of a dog, but totally adequate. It's got far more power than the 2000 Honda Civic it replaced. My Prius also has radar cruise control and lane keep assist. The radar cruise control is worth it's weight in gold for long road trips.

I didn't really understand how the Prius worked until I bought one myself. The way the electric motor stretches your gas is amazing. In < 40mph traffic, you largely use the gas motor to get up to speed, once you're up to speed, use the electric to keep you going, meanwhile using zero gas. On downhill sections, again, use zero gas. Sitting in traffic, zero gas. Driving around in parking lots, zero gas.

What made me ultimately buy the Prius was the interior room. It can comfortably fit four adults and a decent amount of luggage. The standard edition Prius has 21+ cu/ft of cargo space. Compare that to the Corolla which has 13 cu/ft, that's a massive difference for road trips, hauling kid stuff around, etc.

The Prius isn't for everyone. I can see where the looks wouldn't appeal to everyone (doesn't bother me) and it's not a performance vehicle, but it's definitely serving a different market segment than the Corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
LOL. What? The Prius HAS an internal combustion engine. All they did was throw a battery in there so the engine can shut off at idle or at low speed. Tesla is creating free energy by using SolarCity solar panels to charge their 100% electric cars. Plus, Tesla's Supercharger sites are free to use for Tesla owners. Free energy from the sun powering your car. A car that can do 0-60 in under 4 seconds and seat 7 people. THAT'S real innovation. Limping around in a weighted down 90 HP econobox is not innovation, nor is it enjoyable.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I actually save in gas from my last car nearly enough to make my Prius payment
I drive 30-35K miles per year. I had been driving my F250 diesel and figured I would save enough in fuel to ADD it to my garage (keeping the F250), make payments, buy plates, insurance, perform maintenance and still pocket $150 per month! Because of some high-cost maintenance due on the F250, I traded it. It's like I got a raise! I'd prefer to drive the F250 but not for the high cost difference.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
All of a sudden, I have noticed a spike in the amount of used Toyota Prius cars for sale in classified ads. The first obvious correlation that comes to mind is that owners no longer....

...What do you all think about buying a used hybrid in an era of low fuel prices?
If you looked at the demographics of new Prius buyers you'd find they were generally bought by folks with a fairly high income... you know, the kind of people who regularly buy new cars every 2-3 years. Also, very few people bought them for their utility and economy, they bought them because they were a trendy lifestyle accessory at the time.

Now the word "PRIUS" is virtually synonymous (but probably undeserved) with "self-righteous, hypocritical Liberal" and they have ceased being trendy. In other words, the Prius has "Hummer disease"... one day they are the height of cool, the next an embarrassment to be seen in.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:24 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
LOL. What? The Prius HAS an internal combustion engine. All they did was throw a battery in there so the engine can shut off at idle or at low speed.
It is more than that though. They figured out an energy management system by deciding when to use gas, when to use the battery and how to use gravity to compliment the mix. They harnessed the energy that used to go to heat (as in braking). In the end you can’t argue with numbers. Where is it getting that 10-15 miles to a gallon from? Isn’t that free energy?

Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is likely, though there are still plenty of people hanging onto them. A relative still has her 2007, and just spent $600 to replace a battery - the normal 12V one that powers the starter. A lot of labor due to having to remove the back seat to get to it and almost $200 for the battery at Toyota.
Huh? It's a fishing boat battery, can be bought online for $50 and $15 in Priority Mail shipping. No need to remove the seat, it's in the hatchback area. My husband replaced his a few months ago.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:43 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
This.. I wonder what the statistics are of Prius owners trading in their current Prius for a new Prius, or their lease is up and they lease another one.
My husband has a Prius with almost 200K miles in it. He plans on driving it to 500K if possible. He will most likely buy another Prius when the time comes. He could care less about the look, loves the room and fuel economy.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:41 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My husband has a Prius with almost 200K miles in it. He plans on driving it to 500K if possible. He will most likely buy another Prius when the time comes. He could care less about the look, loves the room and fuel economy.
I have a Toyota-based hybrid, (2006 Lexus RX400H), and am totally sold on hybrid technology. I purchased mine as a lease return from the dealership with 60,000 miles. It now has almost 170,000 and I love it so much that I will gladly pay for new batteries, if that day ever comes.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:43 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
She got ripped off. lol

The battery is actually in the trunk on the passenger side next to the spare tire. It takes maybe 30 minutes to change if you have never even done one. It takes a dry cell battery like an optima which you can find for $125 to $150 at automotive battery stores. They will even put them in for you while you wait. She could have gotten it done for less than $250 easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
what can I say about this? This is completely untrue. You do not need to do any such thing. Some car owners just have no clue about anything. Don't spread this please as some other might follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
That's often the trouble with going to the dealership to get work done. Friend of mine worked for a Toyota dealer service dept. for about a month before quitting due to this kind of carp.
I agree that the person in question got ripped off. But I don't agree that all dealerships do this. In this case if AAA missed the mark, that's not the dealer's fault.

I own a hybrid - Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium to be exact - and the first thing I did was scout out the battery and under the hood (still amazes me how the underhood stays so cool even after lengthy drives). The battery in the trunk is easily accessible and yes, it's a standard car battery. Nothing fancy about it. Surprised me, but then I read that it's primarily for accessory and kicking over the combustion engine when needed. So...basically, same as a regular car battery. I could swap it myself if I had to, but Ford charges the regular price for the battery, so I'd just let them do it.

Sounds like Toyota will take you for a ride if you let them.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:47 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I have a Toyota-based hybrid, (2006 Lexus RX400H), and am totally sold on hybrid technology. I purchased mine as a lease return from the dealership with 60,000 miles. It now has almost 170,000 and I love it so much that I will gladly pay for new batteries, if that day ever comes.
As a Lexus owner, if I were to go hybrid, a Lexus hybrid would be on my radar screen. However, with both of us retired now, we are driving about 5-6 K miles a year now. Because of that, I really wonder if the premium price on a Lexus hybrid would be worth the money. I also have had my fill of underpowered cars so question whether the torque and hill grade passing power would be lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion