Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times

Advertisements

We have a 2014 XLE and it is a very nice car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 11:54 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
The Highlander is a good bet for you, so is the Subaru Outback 3.6L. The Venza is an OK car Toyota ruined by putting big stupid wheels on it that give it a rough ride.
Thanks so much for this. We haven't driven one, so it's nice to know we can probably cross it off our list. Subaru Outback was also on our list, but wasn't sure about it's ride and comfort as well.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:32 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I think the current Highlander is one of the nicest looking SUVs. Price wise it is comparable to any number of midsize SUVs. You can get a nicely equipped XLE for $38K. I wonder how the seats are. My pet peeve with newer cars is the hard seats. I am sure if they are leather it is a foregone conclusion to be stiff.
I have an XLE. The seats are comfortable. I especially like the variable heat option for the front seats at this time of the year. It is nicely equipped. The bluetooth is very good and the radio is much better than my wife's 2012. I'm not 100% sold on the need for the navigation or having to interact with the screen so much. I'd prefer a standard radio set up and simple controls. However, the backup camera is pretty much a needed component because rear visibility backing up isn't as good as the 2012.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 12-09-2014 at 03:44 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Same here. My wife would be the principal driver and the Highlander is a handful (she does want an SUV). Our kids are grown and moved out so no real need for that much space. Having said all that, if you want a large interior and a smoother ride you almost have to go with a mid to large size SUV even if you don’t need all that space behind you. Say what you want about size but a larger vehicle has more presence and stands out. I’d rather arrive at an event in a Highlander than a stubby RAV4.
I don't usually need all the room, however, with a family of 4, 2 tall teens, and a couple of dogs it is very useful when traveling. It has a 3rd row seat that folds flat into the floor providing minivan like space behind the middle row seats perfect for dog crates and luggage. My Highlander replaced an underpowered 2012 Forester. The Highlander is a far more comfortable, solid, and responsive vehicle and I have only sacrificed about 3 mpg in combined driving. I would highly recommend it.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:08 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,003 times
I had a 2010 toyota venza but did not like it. The ride was loud and it did not get the mpg promised even though I do highway driving on a daily basis. It probably didn't help that I had the 4 cylinder which never seemed to have the necessary power. My husband has a 2014 toyota runner and I think it has a pretty good ride. We got it to pull our camper. I have been looking at the highlander like I mentioned in my earlier post but like the look of the GMC Acadia. I have a camry and love its reliability. Will likely end up with a highlander in the future.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
The Highlander is nice and has nice road manners, but the better value is in the 4Runner. Much better deals to be had on leases and financing. The ride is more solid, but well behaved.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
The Highlander is nice and has nice road manners, but the better value is in the 4Runner. Much better deals to be had on leases and financing. The ride is more solid, but well behaved.
Don’t like the front end. Also, it is the old school SUV as in truck based with part time 4WD. Many like it that way but I suspect a harsher ride. I was surprised you can price it very similar to the Highlander.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:19 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I have an XLE. The seats are comfortable. I especially like the variable heat option for the front seats at this time of the year. It is nicely equipped. The bluetooth is very good and the radio is much better than my wife's 2012. I'm not 100% sold on the need for the navigation or having to interact with the screen so much. I'd prefer a standard radio set up and simple controls. However, the backup camera is pretty much a needed component because rear visibility backing up isn't as good as the 2012.
How is it on the highway? Road noise, engine noise, cabin, ride. I know we need a point of reference but I guess we know what a smooth ride is.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
How is it on the highway? Road noise, engine noise, cabin, ride. I know we need a point of reference but I guess we know what a smooth ride is.
It is excellent on the highway. A smooth, quiet, and comfortable ride. It is so quiet that I make sure to use my cruise control so that I do not end up driving too fast. Even though it is the same engine as my wife's 2012 I believe they tuned the exhaust. It has a nice sound when under heavy acceleration. With the 6 speed it is very responsive. We live in a hilly area and have to go up a 13% 3 mile mountain road. The transmission works beautifully and seems to the engine in the perfect spot so that the hill isn't even a factor.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:45 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
Quote:
Don’t like the front end. Also, it is the old school SUV as in truck based with part time 4WD. Many like it that way but I suspect a harsher ride. I was surprised you can price it very similar to the Highlander.
The limited has full time AWD. We just traded in a 05' limited with 150,000 miles on it for a new 14' 4runner Sr5. I like the new one so much more than the previous one. It's overall bigger, longer, wider higher. Very comfortable. I do miss the v8 in the old one. The ride is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion