Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 10:43 AM

765 posts, read 986,458 times

Advertisements

Hi to all I thought of buying a brand new car the Toyota Yaris not sure if this is the car for me but these are the attributes I have for the new car

I basically just want a car that does ITS JOB
Most economic car for the bang of my buck ( gas insurance monthly payments and repairs all reduce to the bare minimum.)
Looks at least a bit decent
It does not have to go fast

What are your pros and cons of the Toyota Yaris?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 07:19 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,531,285 times
I considered a used one last year. They have a dedicated following among those who are into them, check out this site Toyota Yaris Forums, Photos, Videos, News, and Discussion - YarisWorld. Reliability is very good. But they get little or no better MPG than the Corolla - I get 36-37 in my 11 Corolla - and price is almost the same used. Yaris has more roiad noise and is not as comfortable. The 4 door sedan was discontinued after 2012. Many of the used ones I found were ex-rentals. Up to 2011 or 12 they had center instruments, I don't think I could adjust to this.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:20 PM

922 posts, read 1,148,594 times
It was named one of the worst cars.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/disappo...140000640.html

I'd get a Honda Fit instead.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:58 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,131 times
I think the Yaris is ugly.

2014 Toyota Yaris 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual True Cost to Own
2014 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual True Cost to Own

According to Edmunds, due to insurance, long term, the Corolla actually costs less. I have the 2015 Corolla LE Plus, I love it. Comes with a rearview camera. I feel a lot more confident in reversing out of narrow areas lol, so I don't have to worry about scraping other cars. I would suck it up and spend a little more per month for the better looking and more functional Corolla.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:34 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post
Hi to all I thought of buying a brand new car the Toyota Yaris not sure if this is the car for me but these are the attributes I have for the new car

Most economic car for the bang of my buck ( gas insurance monthly payments and repairs all reduce to the bare minimum.)

Can't save enough to justify it. For 3K more, or less, you can have a Corolla. It's an exponentially better car in all ways UNLESS you are tall. The seating has the size of a 99 Camry. It's a fully competent car, overtly reliable and is the number one car sold in the WORLD.

Said another way, if one were to take a picture of exactly what you said you wanted, it would come out as a Corolla. It is THE epitome of reliable, no BS sedan with everything you need and absolutely nothing that you don't. Couple that with the fact that 0% financing is usually available from Toyota for up to 5 years....that, or the rebates may be better.

The eco model gets 41mpg on the highway. Not bad. It is not THE class leader in mpg for it's size but, it IS the class leader in reliability, resale, and overall competence. The new ones (2014 and above) look nice too. It's a whole new Corolla since 2014.

As much as I love Toyota, the Yaris just isn't worth it. Pay the extra $40 per month and get a car you will be proud to own and one that will more than do it's job. For years.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:30 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,531,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I think the Yaris is ugly.
The 2015 model is approaching Aztec territory.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:17 AM

408 posts, read 997,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Professional View Post

I cannot respond to the pros and cons of the Yaris, but a numerical comparison could be of some use to you: Compare Toyota Yaris 2015 vs. Toyota Corolla 2015 - Cars.com

I would also look at average gas mileage according to these driver-recorded data: Toyota Corolla Mileage | Fuelly and Toyota Yaris Mileage | Fuelly. I hope this assists you.

The following websites may also be helpful:

2015 Toyota Corolla vs. 2015 Toyota Yaris: What's the Difference? - Autotrader

2015 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback vs Corolla Sedan - Cars Comparison

Corolla vs. Yaris Reliability

Old 04-09-2015, 01:42 PM

42 posts, read 81,356 times
The Yaris is an okay subcompact, but there are others out there that perform better. Honda Fit is generally the favorite, and I'm reading a lot of great things about newer Ford Fiestas. I would try one of those out before the Yaris.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:59 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,797,775 times
In this area with incentives the Corollas are actually cheaper to purchase than the Yaris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion