Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

I always wonder if a Toyota 3.5 Liter V6 engine off of a newer model Toyota Avalon or Camry would be a great engine to put in an 80's Toyota 4x4 pickup, I often hear stories of people dropping GM 350 SB's, Ford 5.0's, GM 3.8 and 4.3's in those stories and I have wondered if a Toyota 3.5 Liter V6 would be a great engine swap for those trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
The only motor I was consider putting in there would be the 22R/22RE 4 cyl. It is unkillable.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:15 AM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Arent the car motors FWD and the trucks RWD?

Old 06-04-2015, 09:17 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
An interesting swap would be to drop in a DOHC 32-valve Tundra 5.7 I-Force V-8 and HD 6-speed OD Automatic tranny

Then again a LSx with a T-56 6-speed would be so much cheaper and easier to swap I guess it comes down to how much money you are willing to spend to do the swap.

I mean by the time you do it get it all tuned properly you might be able to find a decent 4-6 year old Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road package for the same cost.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:46 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Yes, but an engine generally doesn't care which way it is turned, however a lot of times a manufacturer will make a FWD version that mates up easier to its FWD transaxles. He might be better off starting with a Lexus IS/GS version of the same engine.

That said, no - I wouldn't do it. You would still need the transmission, because some old Toyota trans will most likely not bolt up to the new engine without a lot of custom fabrication. Then you have to wire it up for fuel injection and everything else the modern engine needs. A simple Chevy crate motor that is for no-pollution controlled vehicles is much easier to swap into an old truck, and because it has been done a few times, there's probably places to buy modified motor mounts and wiring kits to make it easy.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:51 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I always wonder if a Toyota 3.5 Liter V6 engine off of a newer model Toyota Avalon or Camry would be a great engine to put in an 80's Toyota 4x4 pickup, I often hear stories of people dropping GM 350 SB's, Ford 5.0's, GM 3.8 and 4.3's in those stories and I have wondered if a Toyota 3.5 Liter V6 would be a great engine swap for those trucks.
There is a lot of aftermarket support for GM and Ford motors like those in terms of setting up and programming computers, fuel injection systems, custom wiring harnesses, etc, for the purpose of doing swaps and custom setups. I am not sure the same support would be around for a modern Toyota FWD V6. Without it, you may have a lot of additional headaches in retrofitting an 80's vehicle with a modern engine. Not that it could not be done, but it would not be plug and play either.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:03 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
They're front wheel drive, it never occurred to me about the drivetrain, now I can see why people prefer the GM engines over the newer Toyota engines.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:44 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yes, but an engine generally doesn't care which way it is turned, however a lot of times a manufacturer will make a FWD version that mates up easier to its FWD transaxles. He might be better off starting with a Lexus IS/GS version of the same engine.
I've found more often than not that there are differences in FWD and RWD engine blocks that they can't be "turned" even if the same motor.

For instance, the Ford 4.6L DOHC found in the Lincoln continental is FWD. Even though it's the same engine as a RWD Mustang, it cannot be used in a RWD application due to the way the engine mount points are cast into the block. It's unique to FWD.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:53 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've found more often than not that there are differences in FWD and RWD engine blocks that they can't be "turned" even if the same motor.

For instance, the Ford 4.6L DOHC found in the Lincoln continental is FWD. Even though it's the same engine as a RWD Mustang, it cannot be used in a RWD application due to the way the engine mount points are cast into the block. It's unique to FWD.
I agree, which what you said is basically what I said - but this is a custom job anyway. He is going to have to fabricate a bunch of stuff regardless, so it might not matter which engine he starts with. It isn't as if a RWD Lexus V6 or modern Tacoma or Tundra engine is just going to drop right in. (Although the modern truck motors may have a better chance).

Old 06-04-2015, 02:08 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,758 times
I like this topic. It makes modifiers, fabricators, gearhead, car enthusiast like me think.

This can be done, at a price. Ask yourself, is it worth it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion