Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 05:46 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,641,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
From our current apartment its 37 miles to be exact. Mostly the pike. Although where I live is insane amount of stop and go traffic just to get to the highway.

Commute from new house will be up 95 onto 93. But closer access to the highway. I drive into work when there isn't much traffic so minimal stop and go once I get off Storrow.

I actually did some digging. Called the dealership we bought it from. Then gave us the name of the dealership it was regularly services at by previous owner. The guy I talked to at that dealership said "holy sh*t the former owner put a lot of money into that car" and told me in addition to the many recalls they had to fix, there were issues with oil. An oil consumption test was done in July. It passed but the same test was done in 2014 and 2013. I guess the car had issues, minor things but all requiring frequent and expensive trips to the dealership.

I'm honestly conflicted man. I don't want to hold onto a POS car that is draining my wallet with gas expenses. but buying used I could wind up with the same scenario. We went with Toyota and the RAV4 because we've known people that rave about them. Not so sure how I feel.
Why didn't you dig before you bought the car? I always dig before I buy a car and have never gotten a bad vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 06:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,949,641 times
I have 2008 Rav4 that gets 25 mpg city/highway and has never used a drop of oil. You need a tune up and fix that oil leak.

I'd get a Honda Fit over the Chevy Spark.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:17 PM

339 posts, read 671,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Why didn't you dig before you bought the car? I always dig before I buy a car and have never gotten a bad vehicle.
Lesson learned. We were in a time crunch, without a vehicle, lost 2 cars we really liked due to us taking time to research those. It was such a competitive market we finally decided to pull the trigger on a car before we lost out on another good deal. I know now that was wrong to do.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:18 PM

339 posts, read 671,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I have 2008 Rav4 that gets 25 mpg city/highway and has never used a drop of oil. You need a tune up and fix that oil leak.

I'd get a Honda Fit over the Chevy Spark.
It doesn't leak any oil though, that I can tell. No oil spots when I park. For good measure I'm having it checked out Monday

Old 05-21-2016, 07:35 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,249,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
It doesn't leak any oil though, that I can tell. No oil spots when I park. For good measure I'm having it checked out Monday
Many cars burn oil through the exhaust system as they age. This would cause the car to loose oil without having any oil spots on the outside of the car. I would say that burning oil is more common with newer cars than an oil leak.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:46 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,412,656 times
In the 06-08 it was a bad piston assembly. To fix required replacing the pistons and rings. Certainly not a cheap fix if out of warranty.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:56 PM

3,788 posts, read 4,143,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
If you are going to be driving 45 miles each way then get yourself a Corolla. They get up to 40 mpg highway and are supr reliable. Stay away from a lease.

There are some good pieces of advice in this thread, and a couple of them are in the above quote.

First, stay away from leases. They are only good for someone who doesn't put a lot of miles on the vehicle each year and who trades it in when the lease is up because they want a new car. You are exactly the opposite so a lease is not for you. For someone who drives a lot and who wants to keep a vehicle forever to get the most for their money, a lease is useless. The monthly payment on a lease may be lower, but the cost per mile over the entire period of ownership will be far higher.

You will always get better gas mileage out of a car than you will a van, crossover, or SUV. You will also always get better gas mileage out of a two wheel drive vehicle than you will an all wheel drive.

If you can live without all wheel drive and want a Toyota product, get either a Corolla, Camry, or Avalon with a six cylinder gas engine, no hybrid. The gas mileage and longevity will be good and you won't even have to research them before you buy or worry about how long the batteries will last.

I suggest you keep the RAV to avoid the transfer costs and buy a second used sedan without all wheel drive. A Toyota, Honda, or Nissan should last at least 200,000 miles.

I have bought several used cars, trucks, and SUVs and never, ever had a lemon. I never did any research on the cars before I bought them, but I never bought a hybrid and stayed away from the more complicated engines/drivetrains. The six cylinder engines that all of the manufacturers are making now get good gas mileage, even in the large sedans, which you should be looking at for the safety aspects.

Last edited by james777; 05-21-2016 at 09:17 PM..

Old 05-21-2016, 10:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,951,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post

You will always get better gas mileage out of a car than you will a van, crossover, or SUV. You will also always get better gas mileage out of a two wheel drive vehicle than you will an all wheel drive.
Not necessarily. A 2016 Subaru Legacy is listed at 26 city/36 highway. (We're doing 32ish composite in real world gentle driving). The equivalent Camry is 25/35. Accord is 27/37.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:55 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,249,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Not necessarily. A 2016 Subaru Legacy is listed at 26 city/36 highway. (We're doing 32ish composite in real world gentle driving). The equivalent Camry is 25/35. Accord is 27/37.
True but the Accord is much faster than the Legacy. The Camry uses old technology that is rock solid reliability but is not fast nor fuel efficient compared to the competition.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,176,656 times
Buy a used Prius, no car payments, they almost always get above 40+mpg and I drive with a lead foot. If you do have to replace the battery, it's only going to cost you around $3500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion