Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 05:19 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,472,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
The 4.7 was a Lexus engine - possibly the most durable gas engine ever built. And extremely expensive to build. A bit of an overkill for a vehicle at the price point of a 4Runner.
Not to nitpick, but I it was introduced to Toyota and Lexus simultaneously and it been under the hood of far more Toyotas over the years. It debuted in the '98 Lexus LX470/Toyota Land Cruiser twins. In 2000, it became an option on the Tundra pickup and standard in the 2001 Sequoia. In 2003, it became an option for the 4Runner and standard on its Lexus GX470 sibling.

But you are correct that they are very durable. As long as you don't forget to change that timing belt every 90k miles! And the intake roar (even in the GX470, which surprised me) sounds awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 06:11 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,733,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
Unless you consider your Jeep's platform-mate, the Dodge Durango, a mid-size SUV, I think you're right. The Durango teeters on the mid-size/full-size borderline, but it also offers the HEMI.

I'm curious, how much of a difference in fuel economy have you noticed between your 2012 V6 and 2016 V8? I've had a 2015/2016 JGC V6 (with the 8-speed automatic) as a rental twice in the last year. It had more than enough power to handle the hell that is Los Angeles traffic...and I have a lead foot. I was pleasantly surprised.
I get maybe 1-3mpg less with the Hemi. Depends on how I'm driving. That said - I've had a 2012, 2014 (early '13 build) and now a 2016 GC in the last 5 years. I got rid of my '12 after 13 months and bought one of the first '14's to show up at my dealer. The difference between the 5 speed and 8 speed transmissions alone was worth the money I ate on that early of a trade.

When I bought my '16, I bought it with the Hemi for a couple reasons. One, I wanted something different, and admittedly the V6 was fine around town and riding down the highway, but it lacked a little oomph when you were trying to pass at speed. The V8 has none of that. Two, I absolutely did not want the auto start/stop that the updated V6 has. I had it on a rental Durango and it was absolute sh*t. Some say they can't notice it...I call bull. The V8 has tons of low end grunt to get you moving and when you get on it on the highway, it goes without thinking twice.

I've heard that FCA is dropping the Hemi in the next gen Grand Cherokee and Durango, due out in 18/19. Supposedly going to the standard and then a turbo V6, along with a car-based platform. If that happens, my next car will be a Ram 1500.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:23 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,756,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
Not to nitpick, but I it was introduced to Toyota and Lexus simultaneously and it been under the hood of far more Toyotas over the years. It debuted in the '98 Lexus LX470/Toyota Land Cruiser twins. In 2000, it became an option on the Tundra pickup and standard in the 2001 Sequoia. In 2003, it became an option for the 4Runner and standard on its Lexus GX470 sibling.

But you are correct that they are very durable. As long as you don't forget to change that timing belt every 90k miles! And the intake roar (even in the GX470, which surprised me) sounds awesome.
It was certainly used in the US Market and VX-model 100 Series Land Cruiser but it was in fact the Lexus halo engine at the time. Literally no money or engineering expertise was held back on this engine's development and it went into production essentially 'perfect' based on the requirements. They also deployed it in early US-Market Tundra and Prado Land Cruiser / Lexus GX / Toyota 4Runners.

When I sold my 1998 LC the engine ran and the transmission worked exactly the same as they did the day I brought the truck home from the dealer. Both had 335k miles on them with no failures except for an iffy starter that I replaced at 200k.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:45 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,472,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
When I sold my 1998 LC the engine ran and the transmission worked exactly the same as they did the day I brought the truck home from the dealer. Both had 335k miles on them with no failures except for an iffy starter that I replaced at 200k.
Toyota trucks and truck-based/body-on-frame SUVs are basically indestructible. I have a 2002 Tacoma (with the 2.7L 4-cylinder) with 285k miles and going strong. It's not my daily driver (have a 2012 Mazda CX-9 for that) but I would drive the truck on a 2k mile trip tomorrow without hesitation!

BTW, I bought the Tacoma a few years ago from a friend. He was buying a new RAM pickup and they only offered $2200 trade-in. I gave him $3200 (and book value is still higher than that now). But that's how I ended up with the 2.7L/4-speed automatic combo. Durable as an anvil but it's never in a hurry. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion