Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 PM

508 posts, read 526,661 times

Advertisements

Thanks for replies to my postings.

I am in Maryland. My mechanic determined my car's (1999 Camry 2.2 5SFE engine, 84K miles, no issues before this incident) timing belt had slipped off the spindle. He Steered towards engine replacement. It was a long story.

I talked to my lawyer, who feels we need competent person to explain timing belt slipping situation on non-interference engine & does not need engine replacement for this situation, but timing belt repair fix the issue in court.

This person need have life experience of repairing timing belts. Experience is key when presenting my case, he has to be good at explaining the mechanics of the engine to a lay person and able answer questions.

Where/how can I find such competent person, who is willing to explain in court?

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 06:04 AM

364 posts, read 635,277 times
Why does it need to go to court you can always get another shop to look at it, give you their suggestions and pricing...May have to pay for the tow but...

Old 03-09-2017, 06:38 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Do you know any degreed mechanical engineers with experience in automotive mechanics? Even an experienced mechanic should be able to handle that. Bigger issue is having them willing to testify in court. I personally would not.

I'm assuming the original engine has been taken out and not available for a 2nd shop to evaluate of course.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:18 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
You can only sue for the damage itself. Retainer for expert plus lawyer expense will way overweigh repairs for timing belt replacement. It's non interference engine, there is no damage to it.
I see no point in your suite.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I find 5SFE described as non interference engine in Gates manual and all over internet.

What is this non interference engine means technically?

I did not find the above fact documented in Owner’s Manual (I have this as original Owner) or Toyota Camry Repair manual.

Are there any Toyota document explains 5SFE as non interference engine?

Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:43 PM

421 posts, read 543,885 times
Interference means that, if the camshaft were to stop moving (due to the belt breaking) then the pistons will strike the valves. Usually bending the valves. Then if the belt is replaced, the valves will no longer seal properly, and the engine will run poorly. In some cases, the valve head can break off, and the pieces can smash around inside the combustion chamber. Causing yet more damage.

Just what happened? Did the mechanic recommend an engine replacement, or do they do an unneeded engine replacement? I'm not clear what the need for a lawyer is for.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:33 AM

Thanks for your replies.

"I'm assuming the original engine has been taken out and not available for a 2nd shop to evaluate of course."

You are correct.

Do they do an unneeded engine replacement? Yes, This what happened.

I did not know about non-Interference type for 5SFE 2.2 at that time. I trusted his judgement. He said believe me I had 30 years of experience, whenever I question him about alternate options.

I learned about non-Interference engine and that won't cause piston/valve damage upon timing disruption after talking to folks and reviewing many forum/threads on this subject.

Are there any Toyota document explains 5SFE as non interference engine?

As I talked to lawyer, he suggest, we need another mechanic to state the facts about non-Interference engine on trial.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:50 PM

421 posts, read 543,885 times
You should look for a "service manual". It will describe how to do the timing belt job. It should have instructions on how to retime the engine in case the belt has broken. By demonstrating that the engine may have its crankshaft spun independent of the camshaft, as per the official manual, the engine is non-interference by extension (although the manual should have that statement in it already).

I'm not sure what it will cost to buy one, although it is likely you can find knockoffs on a websearch. You might have to buy an official one in order to provide in court.

Warning: there may be some verbiage that says "engine damage is unlikely in the case of the timing belt breaks". It may go on to say "thus it is recommended to change the belt on time" or somesuch. I would find the service manual and search for such words (any version online). The other lawyer certainly will be. If such words can be found, it might come down to how well each lawyer can argue.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:37 AM

Thanks for your reply/suggestions.

I did check in 1999 Camry Repair manual. It shows the steps to change the timing belt, but there is no note/warning about non-Interference/engine damage etc.

I did search in google for service manual, I did not a hit that give this info.

I did review ALL Data . It too shows the steps to change the timing belt, but there is no note/warning about non-Interference/engine damage etc.

I did review CHILTON's manual. It to quite about 5SFE non-Interference/engine damage etc. It has steps/torque spec for timing belt change. I find WARNING/CAUTION note for Interference engine about engine damage in CHILTON's manual.

I hope this helps. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:17 AM

549 posts, read 722,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
Thanks for your reply/suggestions.

I did check in 1999 Camry Repair manual. It shows the steps to change the timing belt, but there is no note/warning about non-Interference/engine damage etc.

I did search in google for service manual, I did not a hit that give this info.

I did review ALL Data . It too shows the steps to change the timing belt, but there is no note/warning about non-Interference/engine damage etc.

I did review CHILTON's manual. It to quite about 5SFE non-Interference/engine damage etc. It has steps/torque spec for timing belt change. I find WARNING/CAUTION note for Interference engine about engine damage in CHILTON's manual.

I hope this helps. Thanks for sharing.
The 5S engine was essentially the same basic design as the 3S, but features a slightly increased bore and an increased stroke (87.1 x 90.9 mm). The total displacement was thus increased to 2.2 L (2,164 cc). It was used in the fifth- and sixth-generation Celica, the second-generation MR2, the third- and fourth-generation Camry, as well as the first-generation Camry Solara. Like the 3S, the 5S is of a non-interference design to prevent the pistons from striking the valves in case of a timing belt failure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_S_engine#5S-FE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion