Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I just may lose my mind over this decision over what car to buy when I am under immense pressure to choose NOW!!!

I just test drove the PRIUS - thinking that I KNEW this was it. It has good safety ratings & nothing can beat the 48mpg it gets in the city - no one! I found a broker who I could get one from for much cheaper than anywhere else. BUT...

Then I drove it. I can handle the fact that it's sluggish - there's a reason it's like that & I can deal with it because it's good for the environment & good on my pocketbook. The problem is the seat. I have severe physical health issues & need a seat that is adjustable & has a long seat pan that will support my entire thigh length. Like many economy cars (even though this is considered a mid-sized car), the seat pan is short - too short. There is no ability to adjust the seat so the part I sit on can move up or down. It seems to almost tilt forward - not good for me.

I NEED a car that is safe & has excellent fuel economy! I NEED one NOW! I am driving to California at the end of April. I just don't know what to do. Any advice given what I've said? I know there are some programs to provide for disability accommodations - I know I would qualify - I just don't know if what I need is something that is available.

Please help if you have any help to offer... thanks... thinky
All I can Say is be careful! Remember, every time you charge that battery it will lose its capacity of maximum charge. Also beware of the electrical hazards of these battery cars, as there have been many incidents where a battery car became submerged in water and the immediate fish and animal live were destroyed. There is also an electrocution hazard for humans as well. See Toyota's Link below;
toyota-prius-electrical-emergency-response-manual.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,151 times
Default Here is a better link for the prius hazard guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
All I can Say is be careful! Remember, every time you charge that battery it will lose its capacity of maximum charge. Also beware of the electrical hazards of these battery cars, as there have been many incidents where a battery car became submerged in water and the immediate fish and animal live were destroyed. There is also an electrocution hazard for humans as well. See Toyota's Link below;
toyota-prius-electrical-emergency-response-manual.html

You will be able to get more info here:

http://techinfo.toyota.com/public/main/2ndprius.pdf

Old 04-06-2008, 10:04 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,210 times
NewToCA: Yeah, in a perfect world it isn't that difficult of a decision - for me it is. Different people come to the table with different assets & different "liabilities" - since my head injury - this is one of my liabilities. I get overwhelmed with the decision making - especially given the limitations, in practical terms, I need to consider. Some folks are able to go POOF & the decision is made - I'm not 'there' yet. Thanks for the car to add to the list of considerations (especially given the rebate that is left on it).

CometVoyager: THANKS A LOT! Last thing I needed was something else to be concerned about. Someone else somewhere told me about electromagnetic waves - how lovely of them... lol! I have considered that & decided to ignore it. Can't consider everything (especially given all cars expose us to some level). I'm just gonna have to press the IGNORE BUTTON on this matter or my head may very well EXPLODE... (I am laughing, btw)

much thanks to everyone - I am saying all this with humour - I hope you realize...

Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Just make a listing of the five or so vehicles you would consider, and then go sit in each one. The decision will become more obvious after actually trying each vehicle out for a brief period of time.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The Altima Hybrid shouldn’t be much different from the Toyota Camry Hybrid, because they share the same basic hybrid-drive system. Nissan did not invent its own system, instead buying a short-term license to use Toyota’s Hybrid Synergy Drive on the Altima.

2008 Nissan Altima Hybrid - Test Drive - Review - Nice Hybrid, if You Can Get It - New York Times
They are not available in MN - I'd have to rearrange all my plans & wait to buy a vehicle until I get to CA - not knowing if I even like it... At least that settles that. One car eliminated from the list of choices!

Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Just make a listing of the five or so vehicles you would consider, and then go sit in each one. The decision will become more obvious after actually trying each vehicle out for a brief period of time.
I've actually driven all of my choices except the Accord or the Civic Hybrid. Of the others: Corolla, Camry Hybrid, & Prius - for comfort - the Camry Hybrid wins - HANDS DOWN. The problem is that it is also the most spendy - REALLY SPENDY! I have no earthly idea if I'll grow used to the seats in any of the less comfortable models - the ones that are more in my price range. It sure would SUCK to get into a car each day with angst regarding how I feel physically in it but it would equally suck getting into a vehicle each day that has a $400 car payment attached - well, equal when comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks again, really!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:

Just do this - by basing your choices on your primary selection criteria (make a spreadsheet with scoring)

economy seems pretty important, but I wouldn't consider a hybrid when plenty of std cars get 35-40 mpg. Just get something comfortable and dependable. You can buy a 'program' car that gets good economy, and be able to sell it in a year without taking a loss, they will be in big demand for awhile. (program car = the ones that are listed cheap in weekend ads)

I've been getting 50 mpg since 1976, no dinosaurs / OPEC required (VW diesels); or huge, expensive toxic batteries, or extra hazards for emergency extrication. I have several that I bought for less than $100. In fact I had to fly to MN to get my last Passat (52 mpg w/ 18.8 gal tank... It's nice to not be down to 1/2 tank at 400 miles ) I did have to stop once in Montana to top off the tank while enroute to Portland, OR...

Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
I question how much electric use the hybrid owner is actually utilizing. I live in a city and see the condensation of the running engine even at stop lights. Since the speed limit on many of these roads is 30 to 35 mph they should be in the electric mode most of the time. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that they don't get enough highway trips to actually charge the batteries and are constantly running off of gas.

The plug in versions look much more promising and practical for someone like myself who does the majority of their driving within 10 miles of home and doesn't need to use the highway during the week.

I'd much prefer a good all electric vehicle for the majority of my driving, reserving the gas model for long distance travel.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:18 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
From all I've read, many of the hybrids are a disappointment when it comes to actually delivering on the high gas mileage. One thing I seem to have discovered is that a person really must be committed to paying attention to how they drive & adapting their habits to increase the fuel efficiency. The key with the hybrids is to increase the battery usage while decreasing the engine usage. That means keeping your speed moderate, modulating your acceleration properly, staying on more steady even inclines, & driving more city than highway - at least I think... lol.

Even so, none of the hybrids seem to do as well as the PRIUS - and I am talking from reviews by professionals & consumers.

That all being said - I hate going bankrupt trying to save money (does that make sense?). I also hate doing so & then being in massive pain physically while driving this expensive vehicle.

I'm gonna test drive the Corolla - hybrid & not... gonna do that this week - hopefully.

Keep the advice coming... thanks everyone...
I have a new Prius and I average 52 mpg. on my 10 mile commute to work, which includes freeway driving. Around town is more like 48, and yes, I can change my driving to get better mileage. But stomp on the gas and the Prius powers right onto the freeway, much more powerful than my last car, a regular 4 cyl.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM

Default In the end...

... I opted for (although it really didn't feel like much of an "option") a much lower gas mileage vehicle that had a fully adjustable driver's seat, lumbar support, & telescoping/tilt steering wheel. I looked at & drove the Civic Hybrid & am on steady Percocet & Valium ever since - no kidding! I wanted to be able to, at minimum, buy that car (as it was several thousand cheaper with still great mpg) - but the seat was extremely hard & ungodly painful.

I'll be getting my much less efficient car sometime this week... Thanks for all your advice & I hope the discussion may have helped some other folks too! Without my physical health issues I would have, at minimum, bought the Civic Hybrid (due to my financial position). In a better financial position I would have bought the Prius (with no health issues) or the Camry Hybrid with the issues I currently have.

I appreciate all of you... thinky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion