Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 AM

18 posts, read 120,040 times

Advertisements

Good grief!!! Sounds like no matter which car you bought, it would have been the wrong one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 11:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
The Smart car gets 60 mpg in Europe. The American version, when adjusted for all of our environmental crap-ola, gets in the mid-30s for gas mileage. That's why you rarely see them on the road. You can get a Corolla, a bigger and time-tested car, which gets a decidedly better 41mpg, quite cheaply.
Well, the Smart does have a higher EPA mileage rating than the Corolla. But the problem is for most people it's not enough of a difference to make up for the tremendous loss in utility versus a more conventional sub-compact, especially when you consider there's very little difference and price and also considering that what little advantage the Smart has in mileage is almost wiped out by the fact that it runs on premium fuel, so the savings fuel cost per mile is marginal at best.

As a city dweller, the only advantage I see of a Smart is the ability to find parking. But since parking in my particular neighborhood is so wide-open that I could drive a school bus if I wanted to, even that doesn't have much appeal to me. If I lived in a more crowded part of the city, then maybe I'd be slightly more interested in one.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

As a city dweller, the only advantage I see of a Smart is the ability to find parking. But since parking in my particular neighborhood is so wide-open that I could drive a school bus if I wanted to, even that doesn't have much appeal to me. If I lived in a more crowded part of the city, then maybe I'd be slightly more interested in one.
As a firefighter, I must urge you to STAY AWAY from the smart car....unless you like trauma room's and dying prematurely.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
As a firefighter, I must urge you to STAY AWAY from the smart car....unless you like trauma room's and dying prematurely.
You greatly overestimate the average travel speed on the gridlocked streets around here.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:05 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,499,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Have you seen the crash test videos for them? They got a very good rating it does better or just as good as other sub compacts.

To get past all these rules and regulations america has manufactures should start turning there small cars into 3 wheelers so they would be motorcycles. There was a company that used to sell 3 wheeled cars and wagons called Reliant. Good gas milage and roomy.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:14 PM

3,490 posts, read 8,210,561 times
We got the Prius because DH had a really long commute. I wasn't excited to get it to be honest because we were trading in an SUV that I loved for it.

But I have been very pleasantly surprised. We average 49 - 51 mpg and find the car very comfortable. At least very comfortable in comparison to our Mini Cooper S! Lol.

I also love the back up camera which for city parking is a feature that I would no longer be without.

I like the Prius a lot and have never had any indication that people thought we were snobby for having one.

Basically you can't win really - someone will be judging you whether you drive an SUV or a Prius, and if we can save on gas and do our bit to help the environment, then we will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion