Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,300,678 times

Advertisements

These type of vehicles are all the stars lined up when it was built. I guess if you are a all highway miles driver yeah a car will last longer because it’s simply going down the road. The Trans is shifting to get to x speed and that’s it. The suspension isn’t getting pounded and there is little load on the drivetrain.
I just fixed a hard starting issue on a truck for a buddy and the plugs were original. At 200,000 the electrode was so worn out it was even with the porcelain tip. The gap was like .090. So 700,000 miles out of a set of plugs is incredible.
There are very few cars that get to 500,000 much less 1 million miles. Most are trashed by 250,000. Having one owner is a huge advantage to a long lasting vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 09:30 AM

3,317 posts, read 2,309,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Having one owner is a huge advantage to a long lasting vehicle.
Not being cheap helps too. Most of the owners of these million mile vehicles say they've followed the manufacturers recommended service intervals and used OEM or OEM grade parts, they didn't just pick up the cheapest parts they could find down at the Autozone.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:29 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,435,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It was replaced at 800k, which is still pretty darned good.

My 2007 Tacoma has the V6, and the most I’ve seen on those (so far) is around 400k. I’m currently at 106k on mine, but considering I only drive it about 5k a year, I’ll likely never even see 200k before I sell it.
You're right, 800K miles is very darn good. But... when you say my truck has a Million miles, most people will assume it's on the original engine.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:50 AM

18,939 posts, read 43,327,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
(Bolding in quote mine): from who? Not contradicting you, but neither have I researched how long that line of engines last. Toyota has many variations around the V6 of that era, which was amusing because I was thinking maybe 2-3. Nuh uh: lots more, powering most of their fleet at that time.

My Tacoma is a 2007, now with (about) 117K miles. I don't do high miles/year, either, but did for a few years early on because that's where the work was. I slapped the TRD Supercharger on mine at 93K (or so) miles, that is a major upgrade warrantied by the factory (they sold and installed it, for reasonable cost). I cannot stress enough what an impressive upgrade it is, and worth it if you can pony up maybe $5,300. URD does it better but I'm not a tweaker of superchargers.

Every part in my '07 speaks to quality and longevity; I'm assuming mean time to fail must be specked far higher than most comparable vehicles. Compared to a Nissan Frontier of that era, isn't even close.

Watched a video on the Land Cruiser yesterday: "Why would anyone pay $85K (starting) for a late model Land Cruiser, when Toyotas's own Highlander and 4Runner are half that?" Answer is self-evident: there are some vehicles that are well and truly tough. There are Land Cruisers and Hilux all over South and SW Africa, all diesel, and damn little else. Africa eats vehicles, period. Little more need to be said since both just keep on going.

I'd change the oil and drive my Tacoma from Seattle to the Maine coast tomorrow afternoon on drop of a hat, though it's unimpressive in the snow And back. And I've done things like that, though mostly N-S instead of E-W.
I’ve seen a couple for sale locally with those miles. The 4.0 is a very good engine, the only exception is the 2005 and early 2006 models, which had a head gasket issue. Some will also develop a little oil seepage from the timing chain cover, but it’s rarely severe.

I have a 2002 Tundra with a TRD supercharger, and it’s at 198k miles. The supercharger isn’t my thing, but it was installed by the original owner. The 4.7 is a damn good engine, but the timing belt replacement is expensive.

I also own a 2013 Tundra with the 5.7, and that one is best engine IMO.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:51 AM

18,939 posts, read 43,327,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
The Tundra with 1,000,000 on the original drivetrain is much more impressive.

or this '98 Chevrolet also with 1,000,000 on the original engine and transmission.

This owner has a website dedicated to his million mile Ford van. Both the original engine and transmission made it over the 1,000,000 mile mark before giving up the ghost.
I find it hard to believe that a 700r4/4l60e transmission in an older Chevy truck would make it to a million miles, they often failed before reaching 150k.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:38 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,682,664 times
I'll still take my workhorse Dodge Ram over a Toyota any day of the week.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:37 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,147,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Years ago Volvo often featured million-milers in their ads.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,300,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Not being cheap helps too. Most of the owners of these million mile vehicles say they've followed the manufacturers recommended service intervals and used OEM or OEM grade parts, they didn't just pick up the cheapest parts they could find down at the Autozone.
Really depends on what parts were talking about.
For my diesels there is a pressure sensor that aftermarket sucks. They break very fast. You gotta buy the factory part. That was the only sensor I had to replace in 180,000 miles.

I tend to go OEM for
Electronic parts
sensors
relays
modules
Transmission fluid
Body pieces
Waterpumps

Hoses, tires, brake pads, rotors, shocks I’ll go aftermarket. Lots of good solid choices.

But I found that a car that is owned by one person maybe two is the best chance for longevity.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 11-24-2018 at 03:29 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 08:51 AM

59 posts, read 62,368 times
I am most impressed that the body has went that long. As well as spark plugs lasting.
I have 260k on my F-150 with original engine. I have my doubts it will get to 300k but who knows. I have two friends with Chevys that have 350k, one has had motor recently replaced. The highest mileage I’ve seen is 500k on an Old Acura car, the guy has two of them, same year and model...both can’t be destroyed.
You will probably see this less as we move forward due to an increase in technology and parts.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:10 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,291,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughesa View Post
I am most impressed that the body has went that long. As well as spark plugs lasting.
I have 260k on my F-150 with original engine. I have my doubts it will get to 300k but who knows. I have two friends with Chevys that have 350k, one has had motor recently replaced. The highest mileage I’ve seen is 500k on an Old Acura car, the guy has two of them, same year and model...both can’t be destroyed.
You will probably see this less as we move forward due to an increase in technology and parts.
The body has no rust? Helps that the owner doesn't live in a place where they put salt on the roads during winter. And he does pay attention to maintenance. Well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion