Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:59 PM

686 posts, read 804,537 times

Advertisements

When will Toyota step it up and actually put some nice features in their top trim levels? The lack of technology and luxury features make it hard to spend the money they want for a platinum, limited or 1794 trim packages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 09:32 AM

374 posts, read 561,933 times
Google rumors suggest 2020 (since it's fact now that 2019s aren't it).

For 2019, TSS-P is standard, here's the description on the base SR model:

Toyota Safety Sense ™ P (TSS-P)33 — Pre-Collision System30 with Pedestrian Detection40 (PCS w/PD), Lane Departure Alert (LDA)36 with Sway Warning System (SWS),70 Automatic High Beams (AHB)41 and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)31

We purchased a 2019 Land Cruiser for the wife's DD, which is also slated for a new model in 2020. LCs have had TSS-P & 8-speed transmission behind the 5.7L since 2016. The Automatic High Beams are fantastic, per my wife.

I'm on ih8mud.com for Toyota info. Nothing beyond rumors @ this point.

We have a 2000 Tundra Access Cab LTD 4X4, < 100K miles. Replaced O2 sensors, knock sensor, rear tailgate handle, dipstick (recall in 2000), timing belt, water pump, belt & usual maintenance. 19 years of Peace of Mind Comes Standard . . . .

Toyota Safety Sense, the next-generation Tundra will undoubtedly come standard with this system. Automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and of course, a backup camera will all be included.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:40 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,153 times
Not anytime soon. If there was going to be a new redesign for 2020 you would see mules out running around by now. The fact is, the Tundra just isn't competitive against Ford, GM, and Ram when it comes to full-size pickups, and I don't see Toyota dumping a bunch of money into it again.

On the plus side, the Tundra has been essentially the same for so long, that I'm sure all the bugs have been thoroughly worked out of the current model.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Not anytime soon. If there was going to be a new redesign for 2020 you would see mules out running around by now. The fact is, the Tundra just isn't competitive against Ford, GM, and Ram when it comes to full-size pickups, and I don't see Toyota dumping a bunch of money into it again.

On the plus side, the Tundra has been essentially the same for so long, that I'm sure all the bugs have been thoroughly worked out of the current model.
Toyota has loyal truck customers. They won’t give up on the Tundra.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:26 PM

I dont think Toyota will abandon the Tundra. Dont get me wrong I love mine and I still think that are the best looking full size on the road. I have a 2015 black CM, SR5 xp edition that I added black leather to. I just couldn't justify spending the extra cash on basic extras and no tech advantages.

Id buy another Tundra if they step it up on the next gen but that F150 is looking really good and is tempting at the moment.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:32 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
but that F150 is looking really good and is tempting at the moment.
I like my 2016 a lot.

I'll be taking a look at the new GM twins when I trade up next year, but the F-150 is going to be tough for them to beat.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I like my 2016 a lot.

I'll be taking a look at the new GM twins when I trade up next year, but the F-150 is going to be tough for them to beat.
agree. the 2019 silverado and 2019 sierra look great. The sierra has a very similar look to the tundra imo. Although Im not a huge GM fan. my wife drives a 2011 escalade and we maintain it meticulously. complete money pit. I bet I spend 3k a year in repairs over the last 2 years and it "only" has 135k on it.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:17 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,097 times
Quote:

Depends what you mean by competitive. As a reliable work truck that doesn't nickel and dime you to weather over 250k miles? Very hard to beat a Tundra. Tow a huge trailer? Then you won't buy a Tundra. How many people actually do this outside of the trades? Pretty much zero. As a 1/2 ton light truck it can't be beat. Except maybe on price, since the Big 3 will (and need to) knock $10-12k of the sticker any day of the week.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Depends what you mean by competitive. As a reliable work truck that doesn't nickel and dime you to weather over 250k miles? Very hard to beat a Tundra. Tow a huge trailer? Then you won't buy a Tundra. How many people actually do this outside of the trades? Pretty much zero. As a 1/2 ton light truck it can't be beat. Except maybe on price, since the Big 3 will (and need to) knock $10-12k of the sticker any day of the week.
Well said. I own multiple rental properties and I flip houses, so I frequently haul sheets of drywall and siding, ceramic tile, and tow an enclosed trailer full of tools. I occasionally tow a trailer and tractor as well. My Tundra has never failed to do what I need it to do. I know if I need it to take me cross country it’s reliable enough to do that as well. The 5.7 is a bulletproof engine and so are the Aisin transmissions.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
its just old fashioned marketing that has proven to work in the auto industry. If you compare the after rebate prices of the big 3 to the toyota tundra, the resell and depreciation value are a minimal difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion