Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 04:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post

What are the reported problems with the 8-speed Camry transmission?
Come to a rolling stop, and then hit the gas... sometimes there may be a jolt as the transmission finds the proper take-off gear. It’s nothing defective within the transmission, it’s more of a programming thing. I drove one for four days (loaner) and experienced it maybe twice. It wouldn’t be enough to make me avoid buying the car, because everything else about the car was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:49 AM

451 posts, read 496,578 times
Thanks everybody for helping me. I truly appreciate it. I’ve been thinking a lot about your comments and advice, as well as doing more research. While I intend to drive both a Corolla and a Camry, it seems the safest option would be to buy a 2019 Camry correct? It appears there are a lot more complaints about CVT’s in general (not just Toyotas) vs. an 8-speed automatic, but I start going back and forth when I also see complaints about Camry’s and their transmission! I then think I need to pick my poison based on what’s available today, but I also wonder if I’m taking all this too literally. It’s not like I’m a car enthusiast or a speed demon or anything. I just want a reliable car that will last a long time. Since Toyotas are still #1 on J.D. Power and have a history of dependability, that’s the brand I’m still focused on, and I always buy a new car because I keep them forever.

I’ve watched several of this mechanic’s videos. He seems very legit and knowledgeable (and not to mention hilarious). In the first video, he says he doesn’t like CVT transmissions, and he’d stay away from them, including a Toyota. In the third video more than a year earlier, he said he’s never seen a Corolla CVT transmission go bad, but he’ll stick with a 4-speed automatic, which I apparently can’t get with a new Toyota now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJB8LdMrM-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZ5-ifYQho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqZseFMPooA

This comment on the BMW forum once again tells me that it’s better to have 8 gears vs. an “infinite” amount:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You get more and more gears to accommodate greater fuel efficiency, as it allows the engine to run slower and more efficiently in any given gear. What a CVT does is essentially give you an "infinite" amount of gears as it continuously varies the ratio, allowing the engine to always run in the peak performance and efficiency zone. Sounds great but they don't have a great reputation for reliability.
While I’m frugal and want to get the best MPG possible, reliability and longevity are more important to me because I don’t commute or drive hundreds of miles a week so that’s another strike against the risk of a CVT. I’d rather have less MPG and not have to deal with the stress of paying thousands of dollars to replace the transmission later or having to get rid of the car earlier than I want. I’m sure I’d spend a lot more on a new transmission vs. how much it will cost me for gas over the years! If it tells you anything, I’m the original owner of my 1999 BMW 323i, and it only has 79k miles on it.

If anyone has additional feedback, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Toyota makes reliable transmissions, no matter if it’s a CVT or the 8-speed. Most of the complaints are just annoyances, not actual mechanical problems (as in the case of Nissan).
This is a relief to know because it gives me more options, but, I don’t personally like the idea of the rubber belts and pulleys on a CVT. I’d think those would stretch and break a lot sooner here in the Florida heat! Everything deteriorates faster here like roofs, etc.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I've also come upon this conundrum. From what I researched, CVT transmissions are only good for 100,000 miles. After that, they need to have the band replaced.

This is exactly what concerns me, and I’ve read plenty of complaints where people have had problems before 100,000 miles. I ask myself why I’d expose myself to this known risk with CVT’s when I can buy something else. I’m looking for a simpler life at this point, not stress and aggravation.

What are the reported problems with the 8-speed Camry transmission?
It seems I’ve read a whole lot more complaints about CVT’s in general vs. the 8-speed Camry transmission. When I read these and some other complaints about the Camry, I decided to ask this forum what the differences are.
https://www.lemberglaw.com/2018-toyo...plaints-lemon/
https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry...sumer-reviews/
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota..._roughly.shtml

Old 06-26-2019, 11:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
This is a relief to know because it gives me more options, but, I don’t personally like the idea of the rubber belts and pulleys on a CVT. I’d think those would stretch and break a lot sooner here in the Florida heat! Everything deteriorates faster here like roofs, etc.
The CVT uses a steel belt, not rubber.

Regardless, I have driven the Corolla with the CVT and the Camry with the 8 speed, and I liked the Camry WAY better.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:53 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
CVT’s are fine if all you care about is economical a-b transportation. There is nothing exciting about them nor are they sporty.

As far as reliability, it has improved since the the early Nissan applications. Problem is, most people treat them like traditional auto tranny’s and dont replace the cvt fluid according to schedule. CVT fluid is not ATF. It requires more frequent changes. Change the fluid every 30k miles and dont treat it like a racecar by flooring it from light to light and you will be fine. I’ve seen many cars equipped with CVT’s approaching 200k miles. Maintain it and it will last.

I personally am not a fan. I do not like the way it feels or how it makes the engine awkwardly rev. Especially under full throttle.

I recently drove a 2019 Nissan Altima equipped with a D-Step CVT transmission. This CVT mimics gears and makes the car feel like a conventional auto transmission. I was quite surprised.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I've also come upon this conundrum. From what I researched, CVT transmissions are only good for 100,000 miles. After that, they need to have the band replaced. I'm not sure if this next part is true, but one guy claims that his local Toyota dealer would not service the transmission and referred him to Aamco; however, Aamco also wouldn't service the transmission and quoted him $8,000 to replace the transmission entirely with a used CVT transmission.
Sorry. I messed up on this quote earlier. I've never done multiple quotes so my reply was mixed in.
This is exactly what concerns me, and I’ve read plenty of complaints where people have had problems before 100,000 miles. I ask myself why I’d expose myself to this known risk with CVT’s when I can buy something else. I’m looking for a simpler life at this point, not stress and aggravation.

Last edited by LFJourney; 06-26-2019 at 05:08 PM..

Old 06-26-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
8-speed transmissions are nothing new, Toyota brought one to market over a decade ago.
I don’t know why I thought it was a newer technology. It seems most of the complaints I’ve read are about the 2018 Camry’s, but I haven't had time to research it that extensively yet. I felt better when I saw that Toyota has recognized the transmission problem and issued a technical service bulletin. I was hoping that the 2019’s aren’t having those problems, but I’ve read a few complaints about those, too, which is concerning because if I buy a Camry, I'd want a new 2019.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
CVTs are really only found in entry-level cars anyway.
Maybe this list isn’t accurate, but Lexus and Mercedes are on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._transmissions

Old 06-26-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I drove one for four days (loaner) and experienced it maybe twice. It wouldn’t be enough to make me avoid buying the car, because everything else about the car was great.
This is fantastic news because my gut seems to be telling me it would be safer to buy the 2019 Camry vs. the 2020 Corolla because of the transmission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion