Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 05:37 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times

Advertisements

LFJ...
agree with you.
CVT's are automotive front-loaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 05:43 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
I truly appreciate all the additional advice and feedback, which is very helpful. While it appears more people hate CVT's than not, then someone will say they like them. The good news is it gives me another option so I'm looking forward to test driving both the Corolla and Camry to see the difference. I bought my 1999 323i BMW new so that's all I've known for 20 years. I just know that anytime that I've purchased anything that is a new concept and not proven or the kinks figured out, I end up regretting it (like those stupid front-load washing machines).

Why not keep your BMW? Properly maintained, they are very hard to wear out. Particularly if the BMW has a manual, I would keep it and forget about new Camrys with CVT or 8 speed conventional automatics.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:49 PM

451 posts, read 496,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I really don't have anything to gain commenting but since it sounds like you'd be more comfortable with a conventional transmission, then go with that. No need to add stress on your life just to save a few bucks, but just realize you will be spending more on the camry versus the corolla, so either way you'll be spending. On the corolla, you "may" have more spending on your perceived potential transmission problems, but buying the camry definitely will be more expensive up front.
Thanks for your opinion. You hit the nail on the head. I'm trying to get rid of stress in my life, and I have zero tolerance and hate when I have mechanical issues with my car. I'd rather spend a little more money on the Camry if it means it's not going to cause me as much stress as having a Corolla CVT. I'm anxious to see what the difference will be. My original thought was that I'd buy the new 2020 Corolla since it's a new body style. If I buy a Camry instead, I'd get a 2019 because I need to buy a new car now so I'd think I'd get a better deal as I assume they'll want to start getting rid of those soon.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:08 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,473 times
Talking about Camrys and Corollas? Often top of the list for most stolen cars.

Go manual. POS sees three pedals on the floor and it will run away.............

Old 06-27-2019, 07:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Just remember with modern 8+ speed automatics, depending on driving conditions, the computer may not select the right gear 100% of the time. Occasionally it will goof and pick the wrong one, and that’s when you may feel an occasional thunk or hear an odd rev. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything is wrong mechanically with the transmission. Manufacturers are always improving the algorithms which is why they may ask you to bring the car in for software updates.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:28 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Say or think what you will, however CVT’s are here to stay just as more and more manual transmissions are disappearing each year and this cycle will continue.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 PM

802 posts, read 1,365,839 times
Only reason CVT-s are used by manufacturers is because of low costs.
there is no other advantage.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:03 PM

12,374 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I have owned two vehicles with a CVT and have no problems with them. In my view, the advantages of CVTs are objective - they are more optimal in terms of how they allow the engine to run, and the disadvantages of CVTs are subjective - you may not like how it sounds.

I have seen some videos from that guy "Scotty" on YouTube. He really seems to know how to get viewers, but I don't find him to be very knowledgeable, just loud.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:55 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
I truly appreciate all the additional advice and feedback, which is very helpful. While it appears more people hate CVT's than not, then someone will say they like them. The good news is it gives me another option so I'm looking forward to test driving both the Corolla and Camry to see the difference. I bought my 1999 323i BMW new so that's all I've known for 20 years. I just know that anytime that I've purchased anything that is a new concept and not proven or the kinks figured out, I end up regretting it (like those stupid front-load washing machines).
I'd have to say that forums generally bring out the haters on any topic. The people that don't have an issue don't bother with forums.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:08 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
... I just know that anytime that I've purchased anything that is a new concept and not proven or the kinks figured out, I end up regretting it (like those stupid front-load washing machines).
Indeed. No engineered-device is completely developed upon entering the market. Field-experience is necessary to refine it, even if the engineers are brilliant and the technicians building the prototypes are top-notch. It is impossible to simulate or to anticipate the panoply of practical issues encountered by actual user in actual conditions. This is why any device - smart phone, car, toaster - ought to first settle in the market a bit, before springing to make a purchase. Early-adopters are necessarily co-developers, volunteering their personal experience (and money!) to get the product right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
... In my view, the advantages of CVTs are objective - they are more optimal in terms of how they allow the engine to run, and the disadvantages of CVTs are subjective - you may not like how it sounds.
It's seductive to regard one's own opinions as being well-rooted and objective, while contrary opinions are shrill, baseless and jejune. Along those lines, consider: how many performance-cars have CVTs? Sure, some admirably decent cars might have then, but of those, how many are oriented towards agility, handling, and acceleration? Presumably there's a reason for that... subjective, or objective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion