Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 12:57 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,946,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback.

I’ve never considered an American car before, but I wanted to be open minded about your suggestion so I looked at its reliability rating, which is 3 of 5 and #7 in midsize cars.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ford/fusion
This chart is not completely accurate at all because they also factored in the optional 1.5L & 2.0L I4 turbocharged Ecoboost together, which are not completely trouble-free engines. Only the base 2.5L I4 qualifies and offers maximum reliability. You must test-drive to appreciate...

If Ford Fusion S has its own separate reliability rating with all 2.5L engine only, I'm very, very confident that its actual correct rating would be 4 or 5 stars in first place. It has happened before in history when Ford was better than Toyota and Honda. Back in 2008-2010, Ford Fusion 4-cylinder was always rated more-reliable than Toyota Camry and Honda Accord by Consumer Reports, because of the 2.3L/2.5L engine became standard in first place. Even though sales number has declined today due to increasing popularity with (less-reliable) turbocharged engines, this same 2.5L engine is largely unchanged today after a decade later.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...down/index.htm

"... the reliability of the four-cylinder Fusion and Milan ranks higher than that of any other family sedan. Both of those Ford Motor Company products continue to beat the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry..."

It's a bad trick by biased news media today that they don't want you to ever know. If Consumer Reports has its own separate, individual reliability rating for Ford Fusion S only with 2.5L engine, you would easily see it fighting and tie with Toyota Camry being most-reliable for many years, in first place...

Last edited by waltchan; 08-11-2019 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 12:57 PM

451 posts, read 498,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
The 2017 Camry with the 3.5 v6 and 6-speed auto is the last solid Camry.
Thanks. I’m beginning to think that maybe I need to accept either buying a pre-owned or keep mine even though it's 20-years old and can be expensive to repair. New cars obviously aren’t as reliable today because of these weird transmissions. I guess they're the same as mutual funds and stocks - past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:58 PM

451 posts, read 498,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
All I can say is that I have driven the new Camry and I liked it just fine. Sure, the new 8 speed hunts gears more than the old 6 speed, but that’s going to be true of any brand. Just imagine the ones that have 9 or 10 speeds.
I didn’t like it at all when I drove it, and I’m not a car enthusiast by any stretch. The friends that were with me didn’t like how sluggish it was on acceleration either, and he’s a mechanic. I just want a reliable car that will last 20 years at least.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:18 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI
So glad I own a Honda, and not a Toyota.

Honda is even worse than Toyota, actually, lately, since 2017. 1.5L turbo 4 (Accord, Civic, and CR-V) currently suffers from oil dilution (gas mixed into oil), and it's currently the most-complaint of all any new vehicles on the road (Honda CR-V much, much worse than Dodge Journey, by shocking comparison).

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/...s_in_oil.shtml

Current car problem trends: https://www.carcomplaints.com/recent_trends/

(Yes, 2019 Toyota RAV4 is listed in here, as well as Honda CR-V. Where's Ford Escape or Ford Fusion?)

Carcomplaints.com is far more accurate than Consumer Reports, I think. We are so blessed to find this secretive website. Your favorite car brand does worse than you think it is.

A much better recommendation is the Ford Escape S with 2.5L Mazda engine, as stated in earlier posts. Like I said earlier, go Japanese is a huge waste of time now. Times have changed now...

Same here. I bought the civic coupe 2 dr 2.0 non turbo. The 1.5 Turbo only has 16 more HP than mine, not worth the trouble, extra money or worry.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Others have told me the same thing. I need to see if I can mentally get past the whole pre-owned thing. I know they say not to buy new because of the depreciation, but that’s what I usually buy and prefer because I keep my cars forever. I also don’t have the best luck in the world. I’m afraid I’ll buy someone’s lemon, and I don’t know how they took care of it.
Brand-new Ford Fusion S starts as low as $15,999 sale during holiday events. It's in newspaper weekend ads all the time. You won't find this deal close with Toyota Camry (probably at least $22,000 sale, near invoice-price only). With the Fusion S, you actually have an advantage of depreciation factored in before dreadful Camry.

It's just me, but I would take a brand-new Fusion S than any pre-owned vehicle in a heartbeat. I highly recommend a 2020 model year to ensure myself I'm getting the highest-reliability and lowest-defect after 7 years of production from this same design.

Good luck with your decision...

Old 08-11-2019, 01:45 PM

In my local area, New 2019 Ford Fusion SE (with 1.5L I4 turbo and competes with Toyota Camry LE) is going for as low as $16,977 sale.

https://www.kengrodyfordorangecounty...6p0hdxkr276580

With base Fusion S instead for lower MSRP that can easily last for 20 years, it's about $15,999 or less sale during promotional events.

The OP does NOT need to buy a used car. Think harder, you will succeed...

Old 08-11-2019, 03:45 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Brand-new Ford Fusion S starts as low as $15,999 sale during holiday events. It's in newspaper weekend ads all the time. You won't find this deal close with Toyota Camry (probably at least $22,000 sale, near invoice-price only). With the Fusion S, you actually have an advantage of depreciation factored in before dreadful Camry.

It's just me, but I would take a brand-new Fusion S than any pre-owned vehicle in a heartbeat. I highly recommend a 2020 model year to ensure myself I'm getting the highest-reliability and lowest-defect after 7 years of production from this same design.

Good luck with your decision...
There is a reason why similarly equipped Toyota costs more. Think about it!

Old 08-11-2019, 06:43 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback.

I’ve never considered an American car before, but I wanted to be open minded about your suggestion so I looked at its reliability rating, which is 3 of 5 and #7 in midsize cars.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ford/fusion

Toyota Camry is 4 of 5 in reliability and #1 in midsize cars, which initially didn't make sense to me because of all the transmission complaints for the 2018-2019 models.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/toyota/camry

However, I then realized JD Power’s 2019 study measures problems in model year 2016 vehicles! Since Camry’s problems began with the 2018-2019 models, this is useless information since I want a new car. It will be interesting to see where Toyota is when they do their 2021 survey. Honda used to be #3 on their list, and it’s dropped significantly.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...ility-studyvds
Driveability and reliability don’t always go hand in hand. I may hate the way a transmission shifts or the way an engine sounds, but that doesn’t mean the vehicle is unreliable. At the same time, it’s possible to love everything about the way a car drives, yet it be a big POS that stays in the shop all the time.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
There is a reason why similarly equipped Toyota costs more. Think about it!
Toyota Camry no longer holds its resale-value compare to 20 years ago. Sedan sales are declining yearly, a lot of Camrys were sold to fleets, and price is expensive to buy. Wholesale auction value is only $2,000 difference between Fusion and Camry for fleet markets.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:29 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Toyota Camry no longer holds its resale-value compare to 20 years ago. Sedan sales are declining yearly, a lot of Camrys were sold to fleets, and price is expensive to buy. Wholesale auction value is only $2,000 difference between Fusion and Camry for fleet markets.
Camry buyers think otherwise:

Camry: 2018 Sales - 343,439 units
2019 Sales - 203,142 units

Fusion: 2018 Sales - 173,600 units
2019 Sales - 96,351 units

Toyota Camry Sales Figures | GCBC

Ford Fusion Sales Figures | GCBC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion