Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 02:50 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
2020 Ford Fusion will be its final-year. Will be extremely-reliable, proven, and defect-free. Don't miss out on this one-time buy opportunity... 10 stars certified by me... So stoked... Trim level base S w/ 2.5L engine I can only recommend with 10-star rating, although the optional turbocharged EcoBoost engines are okay with no common problems reported I hear lately.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/ove...rd_fusion_2020

That 2.5 is a DOG when it comes to acceleration, but is very simple and reliable. MPG not that great for a 4cyl at21/31, so good enough for a commuter car.

A Fusion with the 2.0T 245HP is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 02:52 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
Since it will be the third year of the redesign, I’d think Toyota would want to fix that problem due to all the complaints. Thanks for any insight.
I wish they would change the gearing. I would take 2less mpg for a better driving and more responsive drivetrain.

If they make it more aggressive, I would buy one. The v6 Camry price is INSANE

Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,947,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
That 2.5 is a DOG when it comes to acceleration, but is very simple and reliable. MPG not that great for a 4cyl at21/31, so good enough for a commuter car.

A Fusion with the 2.0T 245HP is the way to go.
This Ford 2.5L I4 was originally designed by Mazda, with its evolution from beginning based on proven 1980s Japanese technology from Mazda F engine block:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_F_engine

Yes, it is slow with worse MPG, but that's better, because Mazda's engine is actually heavier (heavy-duty) than Toyota or Honda, plus more simple to fix.

Carcomplaints.com confirm today (after 17 years) that Mazda L engines have been more-reliable and less-troublesome than Toyota AZ engine, which suffers from oil-burning consumption issue due to cheaper-quality aluminum block used to improve MPG. More MPG = Less Durable.

Toyota AZ engine was the worst of the big 4 Japanese automakers at that time. Brand-new 2020 Toyota 4-cylinder vehicles (excluding Tacoma, which uses cast-iron block) aren't the most-durable out there, I think.

*The infamous oil-burn design issue is still here today in all brand-new 4-cylinder Toyota vehicles, but it is very hidden and secretive inside.*

Last edited by waltchan; 08-07-2019 at 05:27 PM..

Old 08-07-2019, 06:23 PM

680 posts, read 535,002 times
So glad I own a Honda, and not a Toyota.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:10 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
This Ford 2.5L I4 was originally designed by Mazda, with its evolution from beginning based on proven 1980s Japanese technology from Mazda F engine block:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_F_engine

Yes, it is slow with worse MPG, but that's better, because Mazda's engine is actually heavier (heavy-duty) than Toyota or Honda, plus more simple to fix.

Carcomplaints.com confirm today (after 17 years) that Mazda L engines have been more-reliable and less-troublesome than Toyota AZ engine, which suffers from oil-burning consumption issue due to cheaper-quality aluminum block used to improve MPG. More MPG = Less Durable.

Toyota AZ engine was the worst of the big 4 Japanese automakers at that time. Brand-new 2020 Toyota 4-cylinder vehicles (excluding Tacoma, which uses cast-iron block) aren't the most-durable out there, I think.

*The infamous oil-burn design issue is still here today in all brand-new 4-cylinder Toyota vehicles, but it is very hidden and secretive inside.*
I know the 07-09 Camry with the 4cyl had some oil consumption issues, but I’m not aware of it being a problem since the 2.5 came out in 2010.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I know the 07-09 Camry with the 4cyl had some oil consumption issues, but I’m not aware of it being a problem since the 2.5 came out in 2010.
2.5L in 2010-2017 Camry is called AR engine, which is a newer revision of AZ engine with improvements in reliability, but almost identical. It still has the infamous oil consumption design issue, but very, very hidden inside engine and difficult to detect. 2018+ Camry uses a redesigned 2.5L engine called A engine (TGNA).

Last edited by waltchan; 08-08-2019 at 12:52 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
So glad I own a Honda, and not a Toyota.
Honda is even worse than Toyota, actually, lately, since 2017. 1.5L turbo 4 (Accord, Civic, and CR-V) currently suffers from oil dilution (gas mixed into oil), and it's currently the most-complaint of all any new vehicles on the road (Honda CR-V much, much worse than Dodge Journey, by shocking comparison).

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/...s_in_oil.shtml

Current car problem trends: https://www.carcomplaints.com/recent_trends/

(Yes, 2019 Toyota RAV4 is listed in here, as well as Honda CR-V. Where's Ford Escape or Ford Fusion?)

Carcomplaints.com is far more accurate than Consumer Reports, I think. We are so blessed to find this secretive website. Your favorite car brand does worse than you think it is.

A much better recommendation is the Ford Escape S with 2.5L Mazda engine, as stated in earlier posts. Like I said earlier, go Japanese is a huge waste of time now. Times have changed now...

Last edited by waltchan; 08-08-2019 at 01:08 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 04:56 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Honda is even worse than Toyota, actually, lately, since 2017. 1.5L turbo 4 (Accord, Civic, and CR-V) currently suffers from oil dilution (gas mixed into oil), and it's currently the most-complaint of all any new vehicles on the road (Honda CR-V much, much worse than Dodge Journey, by shocking comparison).

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/...s_in_oil.shtml

Current car problem trends: https://www.carcomplaints.com/recent_trends/

(Yes, 2019 Toyota RAV4 is listed in here, as well as Honda CR-V. Where's Ford Escape or Ford Fusion?)

Carcomplaints.com is far more accurate than Consumer Reports, I think. We are so blessed to find this secretive website. Your favorite car brand does worse than you think it is.

A much better recommendation is the Ford Escape S with 2.5L Mazda engine, as stated in earlier posts. Like I said earlier, go Japanese is a huge waste of time now. Times have changed now...
I don't know what you base this assertion on? Having people report in won't necessarily be representative as a sampling method, and I don't know if/how reports are verified. Additionally, I notice they display the count of negative reports, but they don't normalize for vehicles sold. Toyota sold 3x as many Camrys in 2018 as Ford did with their Focus, for example. So considering the sales volume alone, you'd expect 3x as many complaints on Camry as Focus.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't know what you base this assertion on? Having people report in won't necessarily be representative as a sampling method, and I don't know if/how reports are verified. Additionally, I notice they display the count of negative reports, but they don't normalize for vehicles sold. Toyota sold 3x as many Camrys in 2018 as Ford did with their Focus, for example. So considering the sales volume alone, you'd expect 3x as many complaints on Camry as Focus.
I used to own a lemon 2019 Honda Odyssey minivan, which suffers from rushed production and assembly issues, with sliding doors almost fall out from track. There were design issues related to poor air conditioning airflow quality, and there are only 3 speakers at the front, and 0 at the rear. Rear passengers cannot hear radio at all. Honda engineers actually forgot to put speakers at the rear, since they had to rushed everything in design. Rushed design = lower reliability.

I would have done a much better job if I bought a 2019 Dodge Grand Caravan instead for better reliability and peace of mind driving, due to its proven reputation attracting fleets and satisfying 24/7 commercial-use drivers, which means Grand Caravan is more-durable and can handle abuse better than Odyssey, due to its higher curb-weight.

Go Japanese is a huge waste of time now, and isn't valid for year 2020 anymore. I stand behind my statement with 200% confidence.

Ford Escape S and Ford Fusion S are the best-kept secret highly-reliable vehicles of all time. They will be terribly missed after these will be discontinued after 2020 model year. After 2021, I move on to recommend Kia Optima and Kia Sportage next for maximum gold-certified reliability.

If Honda can fix the oil-dilution problem in 1.5L I4 turbo completely (currently still ongoing), then it's a better choice than Toyota, because Honda engines have fewer issues with oil burning consumption than Toyota, historically.

Last edited by waltchan; 08-08-2019 at 01:36 PM..

Old 08-08-2019, 07:09 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Id2686cVg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion