Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 04:14 PM

12,407 posts, read 9,510,794 times

Advertisements

Toyota Prius sales have been falling, and the revised (for 2019 model year) RAV4 hybrid has many improvements, including significantly better mpgs - EPA rated 40mpg average overall. As a result, Toyota sold 69,718 Priuses last year, and 92,595 RAV4 hybrids.

See:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyo...ales-dropping/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 10:39 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,948 times
This is the market trend in general. SUVs just sell more than compact cars, so this makes sense.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:00 PM

802 posts, read 1,366,698 times
Where are those Rav-4 hybrids then?
I rarely see one on the road.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:07 PM

12,407 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
Where are those Rav-4 hybrids then?
I rarely see one on the road.
Toyota sells a boatload of RAV4s each year in total, they sold a whopping 448,068 RAV4s in the US last year, and 92,595 were hybrids, about 1-in-5.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:43 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Anyone here have one? I don't know much about them, but like the looks of the car, the CUV package and the fuel economy. How is the AWD system from Toyota? I have a Grand Cherokee and it's 4x4 is awesome (I live up a steep hill, that gets lots of snow and ice).

Old 02-24-2020, 10:31 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
RAV4s are all over here in CO.

Not sure about hybrids, but I don't see why the ratio would be any different than what they sell. Might even be higher, people here like hybrids.

We have owned two RAV4s, both gas, not hybrids, 400k miles in them so far. 300k miles on one, replaced it with another RAV4 and at 100k miles on that one. About 250k of those miles have been in CO living at 8,000'. Lots of snow, dirt roads, big hills/passes etc....

AWD works fine.

Most reliable cars I have ever owned.

I will say, IME the Subaru all the time AWD system works a little better than the RAV4 system, but the Subarus are not nearly as reliable. For me, I would rather have the reliability than the very tiny increase in AWD performance.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:48 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Anyone here have one? I don't know much about them, but like the looks of the car, the CUV package and the fuel economy. How is the AWD system from Toyota?...
I had a '15 Limited and traded it in for a '18 Adventure, which was totaled a month after buying it, and replaced it with another '18 Adventure, (all AWD). Only reason for trading in the Limited was to get the increased towing capacity of the Adventure, (1,500 lbs. vs. 3,500 lbs.). 2018 was the last year of the Generation 4 body style. All the bugs have been worked out. My overall mileage has been running right at 27 mpg, regular grade gasoline.

AWD works well enough, to the point that I had the occasion to rent a RAV4, but it was FWD. Started snowing on the way home and I returned it immediately for anything else that was AWD. As High Alt says, the Subaru system is better, and like him, I opted for the Toyota reliability. I have not been disappointed.

Before I purchased the RAVs, I owned a Lexus AWD hybrid. Fantastic automobile! I would own another.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-08-2020, 02:19 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I reckon the RAV4 Prime, since it’s a plugin with a range of 39 miles for electric-only operation, has a fair shot of being the most popular plugin electric vehicle of any kind. I guess the question is how will they price it and how much state and federal tax credits will they be eligible for? If the Chrysler Pacifica plugin with an EV range of 33 miles is enough for the full federal tax credit, then the RAV4 Prime will likely be eligible for the same since its 39 miles estimated by Toyota will probably land somewhere close with its EPA range estimate.

It seems like with that all-electric range, the RAV4 Prime will be a good seller for Toyota. The Prius Prime has above average reliability, as expected for a Toyota, but it’s not in the most popular segment these days, and the Prius Prime’s EV only range is shorter than the average roundtrip commute for Americans and not eligible for the full EV federal tax credit. The pricing for a base RAV4 is about $26k and the federal tax credit the RAV4 Prime will likely be eligible for is $7,500. Unless the pricing of this thing ended up more than several thousands more than other RAV4 models, it seems like having the full tax credit would make this the obvious choice when available for a new RAV4 even if the prospective owner doesn’t currently have access to an electrical plug at home or work since even in that scenario, you’d get the similar vehicle for the same or lower effective upfront price, but you get sportier performance and greater fuel efficiency thanks to its hybrid drivetrain and can potentially at some point do all electric commutes if you later do end up living or working in a place with electrical plugs. Seeing as the RAV4 is the fourth best-selling vehicle in the US in 2019, then 2021, the first full sales year for the RAV4 prime, might be the first time that a plugin cracks the top 5 in US sales.

Another question is that with these specs in terms of both power and EV range are to believed, then how long will it take for Toyota and Lexus to have something like this for the rest of its lineup? I would think it would make sense to do it as soon as it looks likely Toyota will sell over 200,000 units as at that point the federal tax credit gets phased out on a time schedule rather than a volume one.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-08-2020 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion