Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 06:27 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,702,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
It's Peugeot and Infiniti.
it's 6.4 and 6.2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 02:55 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,342,844 times
Mod cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
they aren't the same quality. japanese built vehicles beat french cars every single time. it's a 13 year old used car. are you aware of the resale value of the infinity brand? you can buy a 2007 infinity for $700, because it won't make it off the lot.
Resale value does not equate to quality. Luxury cars don't hold their resale value as well as the lower quality cars the previous poster was discussing.

The QX50 is a Japanese car, believe it or not. I know to people who are not familiar with cars, it might come off as French based on Nissan's ownership. However, the Japan-designed-and-built VQ V6 engines are not only Nissan's best engines, but one of the best V6's ever built. It has spent more time on Ward's list of top engines for more years than any other engine with the exception of the BMW 3.0L I6 (16 of the last 20 years). In the past 10 years, Toyota hasn't has a single V6 make the list... and the only engines they did have make an appearance was the engine in the Toyota Prius (multiple years) and the Toyota Camry Hybrid (Atkinson cycle).

In terms of quality, just sitting in the QX50 vs the RAV4, it is evident. The RAV4 is an economy car that uses flimsy plastic, fake materials, and molded artifacts. This doesn't compare to the hand-stitched high quality natural materials used in the QX50. Like the other poster said, it's not a fair comparison. You get what you pay for with an economy soccer mom Toyota RAV4. It's a car to take the kids from A to B and it does that well.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-13-2020 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: Rude; personal attacks.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Mod cut.

Resale value does not equate to quality. Luxury cars don't hold their resale value as well as the lower quality cars the previous poster was discussing.

The QX50 is a Japanese car, believe it or not. I know to people who are not familiar with cars, it might come off as French based on Nissan's ownership. However, the Japan-designed-and-built VQ V6 engines are not only Nissan's best engines, but one of the best V6's ever built. It has spent more time on Ward's list of top engines for more years than any other engine with the exception of the BMW 3.0L I6 (16 of the last 20 years). In the past 10 years, Toyota hasn't has a single V6 make the list... and the only engines they did have make an appearance was the engine in the Toyota Prius (multiple years) and the Toyota Camry Hybrid (Atkinson cycle).

In terms of quality, just sitting in the QX50 vs the RAV4, it is evident. The RAV4 is an economy car that uses flimsy plastic, fake materials, and molded artifacts. This doesn't compare to the hand-stitched high quality natural materials used in the QX50. Like the other poster said, it's not a fair comparison. You get what you pay for with an economy soccer mom Toyota RAV4. It's a car to take the kids from A to B and it does that well.

Mod cut.
Mod cut. Hey, a new Chrysler product feels nice when new as well, but after a couple of years, we all know what happens because hey, Fix It Again Tony. You must be new to cars. A car is more than an engine. A car is also a transmission, and JATCO are the worst transmissions ever made. The newest QX50 uses a JATCO CVT, which is the worst transmission of all time. Not really sure what to make of your statement about Wards's 10 best engine list. I guess first I'll say that the 2GR-FSE made the list in 2009 thus missing your arbitrary cutoff. Next i will say that you know nothing of Toyota apparently. They have a philosophy of perfection over time. Therefore, their V6 engine is not modern by today's standards. So it's not the most powerful, nor the most efficient. After looking at your little Ward's list, I'm thankful Toyota is not on the list, because Chrysler, GM, and Ford are. Not exactly the pinnacle of reliability there. We could go on and on about Nissan products and faulty electronics, bad catalytic converters, etc but what's the point? Mod cut. Sit in an infinity from 2007, and you tell me what feels of quality. You people and your "soft touch materials." What a joke. And the RAV4 is not a soccer mom car. The Highlander is. the RAV4 is a grandma car. It's not big enough to be a soccer mom car. Finally, resale is the only thing that equates to quality. That's a little thing called the "free market." Mod cut. People know Toyotas are good, so they retain their value. Go look at the cost of a used 4Runner compared to the cost of a used Pathfiner. Mod cut. Oh, and FYI, the current QX50 is made in Mexico.

Mod cut.

Last edited by volosong; 05-13-2020 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: Persistent personal attacks.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:55 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,484,423 times
Quote:
[Snip.] Hey, a new Chrysler product feels nice when new as well, but after a couple of years, we all know what happens because hey, Fix It Again Tony. [Snip.] A car is more than an engine. A car is also a transmission, and JATCO are the worst transmissions ever made. The newest QX50 uses a JATCO CVT, which is the worst transmission of all time. Not really sure what to make of your statement about Wards's 10 best engine list. I guess first I'll say that the 2GR-FSE made the list in 2009 this missing your arbitrary cutoff. Next i will say that you know nothing of Toyota apparently. They have a philosophy of perfection over time. Therefore, their V6 engine is not modern by today's standards. So it's not the most powerful, nor the most efficient. After looking at your little Ward's list, I'm thankful Toyota is not on the list, because Chrysler, GM, and Ford certainly. Not exactly the pinnacle of reliability there. We could go on and on about Nissan products and fsuly electronics, bad catalytic converters, etc but what's the point? [Snip.] Sit in an infinity from 2007, and you tell me what feels of quality. You people and your "soft touch materials." What a joke. And the RAV4 is not a soccer mom car. The Highlander is. the RAV4 is a grandma car. It's not big enough to be a soccer mom car. Finally, resale is the only thing that equates to quality. That's a little thing called the "free market." [Snip.] People know Toyotas are good, so they retain their value. Go look at the cost of a used 4Runner compared to the cost of a used Pathfiner. [Snip.]
I agree with much of what you've said. It's a shame that Infinity back in 1989 started with a bizarre marketing campaign pushing "nature" over just selling their cars as cars. Lexus hit a home run with their "pursuit of perfection" marketing, and they have kicked some rear end in the luxury car business--all brands--in the 30 years of their existence. For the most part, Lexus dealers remain superior to their competition in quality.

You're right about Nissan's 3.0 liter V-6 being a wonderful engine. But when they came in with a CVT transmission that was so bad, they gave their dealers a license to steal ripping off customers on tranny repairs. There's just not enough inside a CVT to warrant a $5,000 repair. Don't many Infinitis' now come with geared automatics and not the CVT?

I'm a Lexus and Toyota owner, and I'm not thrilled with their styling. Lexus dealers' competition is gaining in market share due to more simplified styling. But there's not a German car sold as trouble free as a Lexus. I attribute their durability to being conservative mechanically and not making big changes year to year. Toyota made engine components down to nuts and bolts are superior in quality.

Right now, the RAV-4 remains the hottest vehicle in the mass new car retail market. And when they offer an AWD with a fine, new generation hybrid drive system for $850 extra it's an easy decision. The same drivetrain is in my 2018 Camry Hybrid, and it's a simply outstanding package being quick, very smooth, quiet and 49 mpg in my full size car. We're at 58K miles without any repair or recall.

What's scary to me is the changing tastes of world car buyers--going toward SUV's that are all relatively heavy and less fuel efficient. And I'm concerned about the huge investments required to produce any new automobile or truck that are running the monthly payments out of sight for average income families. The Corovid is causing retail sales declines, factory closings and huge associated costs that someone's going to have to pick up the tab on.

And life goes on . . . . . .

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-13-2020 at 08:07 PM..

Old 05-13-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I agree with much of what you've said. It's a shame that Infinity back in 1989 started with a bizarre marketing campaign pushing "nature" over just selling their cars as cars. Lexus hit a home run with their "pursuit of perfection" marketing, and they have kicked some rear end in the luxury car business--all brands--in the 30 years of their existence. For the most part, Lexus dealers remain superior to their competition in quality.

You're right about Nissan's 3.0 liter V-6 being a wonderful engine. But when they came in with a CVT transmission that was so bad, they gave their dealers a license to steal ripping off customers on tranny repairs. There's just not enough inside a CVT to warrant a $5,000 repair. Don't many Infinitis' now come with geared automatics and not the CVT?

I'm a Lexus and Toyota owner, and I'm not thrilled with their styling. Lexus dealers' competition is gaining in market share due to more simplified styling. But there's not a German car sold as trouble free as a Lexus. I attribute their durability to being conservative mechanically and not making big changes year to year. Toyota made engine components down to nuts and bolts are superior in quality.

Right now, the RAV-4 remains the hottest vehicle in the mass new car retail market. And when they offer an AWD with a fine, new generation hybrid drive system for $850 extra it's an easy decision. The same drivetrain is in my 2018 Camry Hybrid, and it's a simply outstanding package being quick, very smooth, quiet and 49 mpg in my full size car. We're at 58K miles without any repair or recall.

What's scary to me is the changing tastes of world car buyers--going toward SUV's that are all relatively heavy and less fuel efficient. And I'm concerned about the huge investments required to produce any new automobile or truck that are running the monthly payments out of sight for average income families. The Corovid is causing retail sales declines, factory closings and huge associated costs that someone's going to have to pick up the tab on.

And life goes on . . . . . .
It's almost like people are willfully ignorant when it comes to Toyota's philosophy of perfection over time. They dont have the latest and greatest tech. The simplicity of design is why they are desirable, and why they sell so many cars. One trend they've seemingly given into is that of bad dash designs. They've slapped a tablet type infotainment system on the dash, and that is a huge turnoff to me. I know the QX50 uses a CVT, but I'm unsure about the rest of their lineup. Honestly, I think Nissan is very close to exiting the US market. Their sales numbers are horrible. Nissan made pretty good vehicles for a long time. When Renault took over, that all changed.
Hard plastics don't feel cheap to me. What feels cheap is when weather stripping starts falling off at 15k miles because a company uses cheap glue. That was the experience I had with a Hyundai I owned. The car felt pretty good otherwise, but you always get what you pay for, and you can tell where they cut corners. It didn't feel like it would last. My RAV has 100k miles and is 13 years old. The car looks, feels, and rides like a 1 year old car. Everything works as it should, and it drives smooth. The Toyota V6 doenst get the best fuel economy though. I'm also taking it in today to get a new stereo with wireless apple CarPlay and android auto. You can't do that with most new vehicles because their screens are integrated into their dash design.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:46 PM

18,778 posts, read 27,218,046 times
Quote:
I'm sure they will be fine, but I would take the 2007 any day. I bought it for a very specific reason. and that 269 is underrated. the RAV feels faster than my GS350.

Do you know, why they axed that car? Yes, indeed, it was way overpowered for the size.

I'll tell you. It was deathtrap. They stuck way too much power into mom and pop econo SUV. As the result, it was nightmare to handle, as folks very fast developed taste to speed and power. Completely disregarding safety and lack of proper construction to keep it all safe on say, wet road.

Just saying.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Do you know, why they axed that car? Yes, indeed, it was way overpowered for the size.

I'll tell you. It was deathtrap. They stuck way too much power into mom and pop econo SUV. As the result, it was nightmare to handle, as folks very fast developed taste to speed and power. Completely disregarding safety and lack of proper construction to keep it all safe on say, wet road.

Just saying.
That's why I like it. It's too much power for the kind of car it is. It's a hilarious vehicle. Just got it back from the stereo place. It has wireless carplay and android auto. I have more tech than a 2020.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:37 PM

18,778 posts, read 27,218,046 times
I am just saying... I know the power and I almost wanted it when they made them. Associate had one and he rid of it. his wife could not handle it. He could not handle it.
That car geometry, suspension and handling are NOT made for the power. Too tall, too narrow, too lighweight, center of weight too high up, does not have anything that is even remotely suitable to keep her safe in corners.
Just saying.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I am just saying... I know the power and I almost wanted it when they made them. Associate had one and he rid of it. his wife could not handle it. He could not handle it.
That car geometry, suspension and handling are NOT made for the power. Too tall, too narrow, too lighweight, center of weight too high up, does not have anything that is even remotely suitable to keep her safe in corners.
Just saying.
I don't find it unsafe at all. I floor it some times from a dig, but I'm not cornering in it. It's not a hot hatch. But if my car is too powerful, imagine the guy with the Infinity QX50. Does 0-60 in 1.2 seconds (faster than a 911) it has more cargo room than a suburban, and gets better gas mileage than a Prius. With specs like that, it makes me wonder why Nissan is about to pull out of this market.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:15 PM

36,921 posts, read 38,847,379 times
Quote:
Just saying.
That's interesting--I wonder if there will be the same problem with the RAV4 Prime since it's still a similar form factor, but with even more power than the V6. Perhaps the batteries in the floor are enough to keep the center of gravity low?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion