Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 08:37 PM

301 posts, read 164,513 times

Advertisements

I just financed a used 2015 Scion xB from a Toyota Dealership.

I was given 4 years of free oil changes. Do I have to stay loyal to that certain Dealership or can I switch? Their service dept is awfully sloppy. I took it in after it was delivered because it was pulling to the right. When I got it back and drove it it pulled to the left. It is in the service dept, ready Tuesday, hopefully straight alignment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 11:52 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,851,181 times
You have to read your contract. The pulling issue is an alignment issue and has nothing to do with the oil change people.

Having said that, anywhere you go, the least skilled techs are put at the oil change bay. You have to to your own diligence, check the level right after you leave, check under the car for leaks then and for the first few days.

Honestly, I had a Toyota that came with 2 free oil changes and I didn't use them. Granted, I sold the car early too, but I like to do the work myself. Do it once, do it right. I know what oil I buy. Done it for 30+ years. Will do it as long as I can.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
You have to read your contract. The pulling issue is an alignment issue and has nothing to do with the oil change people.

Having said that, anywhere you go, the least skilled techs are put at the oil change bay. You have to to your own diligence, check the level right after you leave, check under the car for leaks then and for the first few days.

Honestly, I had a Toyota that came with 2 free oil changes and I didn't use them. Granted, I sold the car early too, but I like to do the work myself. Do it once, do it right. I know what oil I buy. Done it for 30+ years. Will do it as long as I can.
Well, I am a busy girl who relies on the Service Dept. to fix and keep my 3 vehicles running.

I do not have time to do my own oil changes, but I will follow your advice about checking after, like I did with the alignment. They did not do it right. I will be getting the vehicle back Monday or Tuesday. I have to drive to Anaheim on business mid week, the reason for it to be driving straight and not like a boat, lol

Old 05-31-2020, 11:16 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,851,181 times
I am busy too. That is why I do my own oil changes. Takes less time. Last time we had a new to us car, CPO warranty. It was wife's car. So decided to do the first oil change at the dealer. Make an appointment. Got there 15 min early. Was told can't wait. They are busy. So they are kind enough to suttle me home. Then two hours later had to have my daughter drop me off for the pick up. Noticed a new dent in the driver's door. Had to fight, then go back another day for the dent guy to fix this. I think the whole thing took 7-8 hrs out of my life.

Oil changes are easy. Learn to do them with a reliable ramp and it would take you half an hour. Take the used oil to Autozone, WM etc for recycling.

But if you don't want to (I have two daughters, one is interested, one can not be bothered), then make sure you check the work as mentioned. Happy motoring.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:12 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud49 View Post
I took it in after it was delivered because it was pulling to the right. When I got it back and drove it it pulled to the left.
Sadly, one will have to learn about tires and what happens to tires is vehicle is out of alignment for a long period of time.

Tires driven for a long period of time with a car out of alignment wear on one side. Those tires cannot be fixed.

Yes, the facility can rotate the tires in various ways that might alleviate this some. But if the tires are shot. Then the tires are shot.

Was this car purchased with the car pulling to one side? If so, it might be time to learn how to purchase a used car. Or take an adult with you next time.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:49 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
Did you have this car checked out by a mechanic before purchasing?

Old 06-03-2020, 05:25 PM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
You may have perfect alignment and car will still pull to a side. It is very hard to find a tire nowadays without some level of conicity problem and that WILL cause pull. Even as simple as uneven tire pressure. All they do is they get car on alignment lift and check numbers. If numbers fit spec, there's nothing else they can do.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You may have perfect alignment and car will still pull to a side. It is very hard to find a tire nowadays without some level of conicity problem and that WILL cause pull. Even as simple as uneven tire pressure. All they do is they get car on alignment lift and check numbers. If numbers fit spec, there's nothing else they can do.
Yes that is what I figured. The other 2 vehicles I have are BMW 328i coupes. They need alignments if I miss a pothole, lots of those in California, glad to work from home

Old 07-16-2020, 04:26 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud49 View Post
I just financed a used 2015 Scion xB from a Toyota Dealership.

I was given 4 years of free oil changes. Do I have to stay loyal to that certain Dealership or can I switch? Their service dept is awfully sloppy. I took it in after it was delivered because it was pulling to the right. When I got it back and drove it it pulled to the left. It is in the service dept, ready Tuesday, hopefully straight alignment.
You can have a bad tire. Ask what they did during service visit. Did they swap the front tires?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion