Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 04:29 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
I have an is250, it’s been passed down to my kids but it’s a good reliable car. It has a v6 not a 4 as the previous poster said. It’s only a 2.5 liter v6, not the bigger 3.5 found in the larger lexuses. Personally I would opt for the is350, much more powerful car with the same body style. The gs is a step above that and much nicer. The rear brake calipers are a week spot on this model, the are known to hang up and you need to pay attention to them. The alternator is a son of a b$&@ch to change. Took me 5 hours and that’s after watching the video and not wasting time. Ours has over 210k on it and still runs great.
As I said earlier I would opt for a Lexus with the 3.5 liter motor. Es350’s can be picked up pretty cheap and they are much faster than the is250 with the 2.5l motor.
Good stuff. Yeah the 350 and also F sport models have caught my attention more. Had a Miata I recently sold, so something sporty would be something I think I want.

A bit off subject from the IS 250, I scored a good deal, or so I think on an ‘04 Lexus GX 470. Very nice and also advanced for a car made during that time. Pretty excited about it even tho it’s an old car lol. IS250 I’ve delayed to get until the fall. Lots of people buying cars atm/spending etc. Surprised considering the economic conditions we’re in, but hopefully find a good deal on POC or an individual seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 09:28 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,745,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Good stuff. Yeah the 350 and also F sport models have caught my attention more. Had a Miata I recently sold, so something sporty would be something I think I want.

A bit off subject from the IS 250, I scored a good deal, or so I think on an ‘04 Lexus GX 470. Very nice and also advanced for a car made during that time. Pretty excited about it even tho it’s an old car lol. IS250 I’ve delayed to get until the fall. Lots of people buying cars atm/spending etc. Surprised considering the economic conditions we’re in, but hopefully find a good deal on POC or an individual seller.
I looked at the GX470 for a while. very solid vehicles without many issues. especially if you avoided the air suspension.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:38 AM

374 posts, read 561,933 times
May I suggest you check any used Lexus' service records @

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/history

You do not have to own the Lexus, just enter the VIN & dealer service history will appear. I've failed to remove one LX570 VIN I was considering & still get emails advising servicing. We bought a new 2019 Land Cruiser instead.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:52 AM

21,821 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:

Sporty and GX470?

It's a dog in its class. Don't get me wrong, it's got its definite niche but if you want a sporty SUV that's not a 4Runner or GX. If you want something for zombie apocalypse but want something that's more civilized than a Jeep Wrangler, they're terrific.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sporty and GX470?

It's a dog in its class. Don't get me wrong, it's got its definite niche but if you want a sporty SUV that's not a 4Runner or GX. If you want something for zombie apocalypse but want something that's more civilized than a Jeep Wrangler, they're terrific.
Tbh pretty stoked about this purchase. It’s an 04 and for its age, it’s super nice. I like this better than the majority of the newer suvs out there lol. Runs great, smooth, love the handling and turning. Has 155k miles so def going to take it out some road trips soon. Super happy with it/good deal. Hopefully in the fall, I can score a deal on a Newer IS350 or F sport. Lexus may have me hooked lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice buying used Lexus-320fb9d9-e700-42db-a848-aade6c2c1a9f.png  

Old 08-22-2020, 06:02 AM

22,313 posts, read 29,395,806 times
Quote:
Tbh pretty stoked about this purchase. It’s an 04 and for its age, it’s super nice. I like this better than the majority of the newer suvs out there lol. Runs great, smooth, love the handling and turning. Has 155k miles so def going to take it out some road trips soon. Super happy with it/good deal. Hopefully in the fall, I can score a deal on a Newer IS350 or F sport. Lexus may have me hooked lol.
Beautiful! Very smart purchase on your end. Keep the maintenance up and it will run into 300k plus miles

Old 08-22-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Beautiful! Very smart purchase on your end. Keep the maintenance up and it will run into 300k plus miles
Thank you

Old 08-23-2020, 06:36 AM

997 posts, read 849,475 times
Quote:

My buddy picked up an 04-05 gx 470 too, had 240k on it. His wife prefers it to her 2014 es350 with the glass roof! My brother-in-law just bought a 2020 new gx460, obviously it’s very nice. But, it’s full time 4 wheel drive, unlike the older 470 that ya the transfer case lever. Keep an eye out on the timing belt on the 470, not sure what year it went to a chain. The 3.5 liter v6’s are all chains (07 and newer).

Old 08-24-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
My buddy picked up an 04-05 gx 470 too, had 240k on it. His wife prefers it to her 2014 es350 with the glass roof! My brother-in-law just bought a 2020 new gx460, obviously it’s very nice. But, it’s full time 4 wheel drive, unlike the older 470 that ya the transfer case lever. Keep an eye out on the timing belt on the 470, not sure what year it went to a chain. The 3.5 liter v6’s are all chains (07 and newer).
Good to know. Very interesting everything you say bc I feel the same way Lol. I keep sayin, “dang this is nice, And it’s an 04!” lol. I’ve read about that timing belt and also the airbags. Looks like belt was changed in 2011 so should be good. Little stuff I’m inspecting throughout but overall, it checks out and it’s in very good condition for its age. Needs new rear brakes and a new thing of brake fluid. But again great insight from you all.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:09 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,166 times
From a performance standpoint I have always loathed the IS250 for it's overweight body and underpowered motor. The interior is a bit cramped (especially the rear seats). The steering feels a little numb for my taste and the brake feel is pretty good. On the positive side, the maintenance is easy to do and the car is remarkably reliable. The downside is that you might not be able to rotate you tires if you get the model with the staggered setup.

It is not a car I would ever choose but my wife has 3 friends who have owned them in the past. IMHO while they are overpriced, they are a much better value on the used market. You should be able to grab a 2014 IS250 for about $15K or about 60% off the original MSRP. Toyota/Lexus is one brand where I would be willing to forego the "Certified" category, if the price were right. I would do my due diligence in looking at the service history (it should be available on the Lexus website), have a mechanic take a look through it, and connect Toyota Techstream OBD to check for problems. I've had great experiences with Lexus, though I would never buy a late-model european car (BMW, Audi, Porsche, etc) without a Certified warranty.

Hope this helps and hope you find what you're happy with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion