Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 07:44 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Toyota reliability issues explained, DIY and car review with auto mechanic Scotty Kilmer. Worst cars and trucks Toyota makes. Toyota Tundra and Tacoma review. Bad cars and trucks Toyota makes. Buying a Toyota. Toyota frame problems. Is the Toyota worth it? Buying a new Toyota. Buying a used Toyota. Should I buy a Toyota? Car advice. DIY car repair with Scotty Kilmer, an auto mechanic for the last 53 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxJxRn_tQpk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 08:12 AM

12,378 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Ehhh, it's a 2003 truck, and this guy is ranting about how the company owes the owner to fix it in 2021? Really??? I have a lot more faith in Toyota than I do in Scotty Kilmer.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:24 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Toyota reliability issues explained, DIY and car review with auto mechanic Scotty Kilmer. Worst cars and trucks Toyota makes. Toyota Tundra and Tacoma review. Bad cars and trucks Toyota makes. Buying a Toyota. Toyota frame problems. Is the Toyota worth it? Buying a new Toyota. Buying a used Toyota. Should I buy a Toyota? Car advice. DIY car repair with Scotty Kilmer, an auto mechanic for the last 53 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxJxRn_tQpk
this seems like spam

Old 04-05-2021, 08:24 AM

828 posts, read 415,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Ehhh, it's a 2003 truck, and this guy is ranting about how the company owes the owner to fix it in 2021? Really??? I have a lot more faith in Toyota than I do in Scotty Kilmer.
The problem is the frames where not made to normal standards. Toyota already admitted the supplier they bought the frames from did not coat them like a normal cars. And was not to expected or normal standards.

The whole reason they replaced thousands for free. But only offered it for a short while. If a truck was well taken care of. Like being garage kept. It took longer to show up. But toyota still knew all the frames where defective. I feel as long as they admitted a part was defective it should be replaced.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:51 AM

828 posts, read 415,209 times
Also to add.
It had a 2003 4runner. Toyota admitted the supplier gave them a defective product for the dash covers. And they would crack easy.

And they would replace them if they cracked. Mine was garage kept so not in the sun much. And only used 5K miles a year.
Mine started cracking 2 months after the recall expired.

On the Tundra like the OP.
They knew the frames where defective. But would only replace if bad enough that a hole was in the frame. On the rust they sprayed on a oil coating to slow down the rust. So it would last a few more years without a actual hole, until the recall expired.

In both cases toyota admitted the items were not up to normal standards much less toyota's.

So you did not get what you paid for.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:10 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Toyota issues a TSB – Technical Service Bulletin.

Defective piston rings are causing Toyota engines to burn through an excessive amount of oil.

Vehicles with Oil Consumption Problems

2007-2011 Toyota Camry HV (Hybrid)
2007-09 Toyota Camry
2009 Toyota Corolla
2009 Toyota Matrix
2006-08 Toyota RAV4
2007-08 Toyota Solara
2007-09 Scion tC
2008-09 Scion xB

Old 04-14-2021, 06:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default Interesting maybe there are two sides to this story.

Rust, here's what people who live on or near the beach can expect.

https://www.newsmyrnachevy.com/blogs...chevy-vehicle/

An explanation of what salt does to a vehicle, by someone who has lots of experience in the field
(7 days a week 365 days a year).

https://www.government-fleet.com/279...before-you-buy

Here is a high mile daily driver for sale that shows the another side of this debate.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...tory_type=post

Old 04-14-2021, 08:46 AM

12,378 posts, read 9,473,336 times
In a perfect world, Toyota would fix it for free even 100 years later. But realistically, every vehicle manufacturer has significant quality issues that slip through, and in fact it's not unusual to have serious issues be recognized just 3-5 years after the car was sold, and it's also not unusual for automakers to refuse to do recalls or to fix the issues for free, and it's not rare for groups of customers to bring class action lawsuits against automakers to force them to address significant and widespread issues they are reluctant to. Given what the real world is like, I just can't get outraged because Toyota doesn't want to fix something on an 18yo vehicle for this guy. And if that's the standard you want to set - is that you'll never buy from an automaker who won't fix every defect for anyone who wants it done at any time, then you' can't buy from ANY automaker - they all have serious issues that get out to customers, and there are in reality many cases where they don't do what customers want, even when it's a reasonable ask. Just start googling class action lawsuit and put in any automaker's name, and you'll get hits. Get real, Scotty Kilmer.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:53 PM

17 posts, read 23,059 times
Off topic but since this is about Kilmer, he once ranted about how bad the 8 speed transmission is in the camry 2018 and later models. What does everyone think of it? I have been driving a dinosaur camry 2000 and I trust the camry brand but this makes me hesitate about getting a new camry (and both used and new cars now are pretty pricey). I don't know if I should try to find a used 2017 camry instead? Thanks.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:53 PM

929 posts, read 303,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducerek View Post
Off topic but since this is about Kilmer, he once ranted about how bad the 8 speed transmission is in the camry 2018 and later models. What does everyone think of it? I have been driving a dinosaur camry 2000 and I trust the camry brand but this makes me hesitate about getting a new camry (and both used and new cars now are pretty pricey). I don't know if I should try to find a used 2017 camry instead? Thanks.
I own a 2019 RAV 4 ICE with the 8 speed. I have 14K miles on the vehicle. No problems at all.

It took me a while to get used to the difference from my previous car , a 2009 Corolla. Once I got used to it, and it now appears more broken in, it is great. Gas mileage on this vehicle is exceptional. I have yet to get less than 30MPG all around driving. Mostly 32 or more.

The special “ snow” setting on this vehicle was phenomenal last winter .

I really like the transmission and engine combo, it works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion