Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 08:55 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, I tried using my electronic key to open my Prius … as I usually do. However, the door wouldn’t open. I thought maybe the battery was dying on my key fob, so I tried my husband’s key and his didn’t work either. Couldn’t get the doors open with either electronic key. My Prius tends to lose its charge and need a jump start if I don’t drive it for a few weeks (like when we come back after a long vacation). So my husband jumped to the conclusion that it needed a jump start. I told him that I didn’t think that was true because I have been driving my car normally. Ok, I didn’t drive it over the weekend, but that’s pretty much normal.

So, I tried opening the door with the physical key that is embedded inside the key fob. And I couldn’t get the door open with that key either. It turned in the lock but the door didn’t open. There’s is only one physical lock on the car and that is (obviously) the one I tried. I have used the physical key in the past and had no problems then, so …

My husband is still insisting that we need to call for a jump start, but I am thinking that it is a door issue. But does that happen? Could the doors fail like that somehow?

Ideas?

Actually, what I am a little concerned about it that my husband wants to jump start the car himself using our other Prius (and in fact just went out to buy jumper cables). But I have read that jump starting Prii is not as straightforward as jump starting other cars, although I am not sure how it is different. Also, my husband and I must rank among the least talented DYieds on the planet. Not handy AT ALL.

So, I don’t want him to attempt to jump start it (and potentially screw up) particularly if that is not the actual problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 09:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
You’re far more likely to get a good response on a Prius-specific message board.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You’re far more likely to get a good response on a Prius-specific message board.
I am trying that too …

Old 08-03-2021, 06:55 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
If you need to jump the Prius, that's no issue. Either pop the hood and find the fuse box. There's a positive terminal there for jump starting. Or you can just tear the trunk apart and jump on the 12v in the trunk.

Jumping FROM a Prius is awkward. It's better to just charge the dead battery by hooking it up and letting it sit for a while and then disconnect and hopefully that's charged the battery enough to start the other car. The Prius 12v is only a 100 amp system which a starter motor will generally draw more than that. In the case of jumping starting another Prius it's not really a big deal though as you're not actually jump starting it. You're just getting the computers to turn on and then the traction battery actually starts the gas engine.

Of course, you'll still have to call a tow truck to get the doors unlocked. No idea what that's about, either user error, stripped key, damaged lock. That's an entirely mechanical system though so nothing to do with the battery which is definitely dead if both key fobs aren't working.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
If you need to jump the Prius, that's no issue. Either pop the hood and find the fuse box. There's a positive terminal there for jump starting. Or you can just tear the trunk apart and jump on the 12v in the trunk.

Jumping FROM a Prius is awkward. It's better to just charge the dead battery by hooking it up and letting it sit for a while and then disconnect and hopefully that's charged the battery enough to start the other car. The Prius 12v is only a 100 amp system which a starter motor will generally draw more than that. In the case of jumping starting another Prius it's not really a big deal though as you're not actually jump starting it. You're just getting the computers to turn on and then the traction battery actually starts the gas engine.

Of course, you'll still have to call a tow truck to get the doors unlocked. No idea what that's about, either user error, stripped key, damaged lock. That's an entirely mechanical system though so nothing to do with the battery which is definitely dead if both key fobs aren't working.
Yes, the problem was jumping from one Prius to another. We just called a tow. He jump started it and I drove it back to the dealership. Only $75. It turns out it needs a new battery. So, $$$$. Started a new thread on this …

Old 08-09-2021, 12:26 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Dead Battery, car won't open
Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sventastic, Apr 3, 2008.

It's an old post, but it may be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion