Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 04:29 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,622,013 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound strange for a thread that began with the Prius and the Corolla Cross but the new Tundra (3.5 liter) has a smaller displacement engine than the Tacoma with the 3.6 liter engine. The fuel economy is about the same and the price difference is not much. With 389 horsepower and 479 lb. -ft. of torque plus an 8000 lb towing capacity the Tundra is a hell of a good work truck. The hybrid Tundra is very nice, but it is very expensive.

For 2022 vehicles sold in the US, this table shows the relationship between cylinders and displacement
3 cyl: 1.2 L - 1.5 L
4 cyl: 1.3 L - 2.8 L
6 cyl: 2.7 L - 4.0 L
8 cyl: 3.8 L - 6.4 L

But you must keep your wife happy as well. She may very well object to you giving your son a 5000 lb vehicle to drive to school.

The 2.7-liter 4-cylinder engine that is available in the 2022 Toyota Tacoma offers up to 159 horsepower and 180 pound-feet of torque. It is actually less powerful than the RAV4 2.5-liter four-cylinder with 203 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. But even the small engine in the Tacoma can tow up to 3500 lbs. It has a bed length of 60 to 73.2″ which is too small for 4' by 8' drywall without resorting to the tricks in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl07wYSlfow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 04:47 PM

12,571 posts, read 9,654,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
The Prius is a smaller car, probably weighs less than the other two. You can compare the Prius to the Corolla Hybrid and then you will be closer. Both are rate around 50's. The Prius L Eco is rated better but probably because it has lighter tires, rims, etc.
We have a 2011 Prius that if I drive it carefully, gets a mix of 52 MPG in LA traffic commuting which is great at 125K Miles.
But the car is noisy compared to lets say a Camry. The noise is from the absence of sound insulation among other things.
Yes, the Prius is smaller, lower, lighter, has better aerodynamic efficiency, has skinnier tires and it (with rare exception) has FWD and not AWD. The powertrain is definitely not tuned for performance - taking around 10 seconds to get to 60mph.

Old 08-08-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, the Prius is smaller, lower, lighter, has better aerodynamic efficiency, has skinnier tires and it (with rare exception) has FWD and not AWD. The powertrain is definitely not tuned for performance - taking around 10 seconds to get to 60mph.
The 2022 Toyota Prius can go from 0-60 mph in 9.8 seconds.
The 2022 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue goes from 0-60 mph in 10.5 seconds.
Both vehicles have a curb weight of ~ 3000 lbs.
But the Ioniq Blue is the first vehicle with highway mileage above 60 mpg and is the first vehicle to beat the Prius in fuel economy in decades.

We don't really know much about the OPs 16 year old son. His dad describes him as urban, but some teens are eco- justice warriors. My neighbor brough his 13 year old son to lunch and his dad announced that he was a vegan. I must be very old, but I've never heard of a 13 year old boy who didn't eat burgers. I remember a lot of 18-19 year old girls who were vegan back in college in the 1970s.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:20 AM

1,500 posts, read 804,358 times
I have had a couple of Tacomas over the years and I always came back to Ford trucks. I was a custom home builder and the Tacomas could not carry the weight or pull the weight that even a Ford Ranger could. They also never got good gas mileage.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:45 PM

1,980 posts, read 6,877,320 times
As far as young kids not wanting a Prius; My older daughter made me get rid of a small CUV that was assigned to her and we got her a used Prius. Mostly because she wanted to be environmentally conscious. Granted, due to the improved gas mileage, she ended up driving more, a known Prius effect.
She now has a newer small CUV mostly because she is out of state for the most part and I wanted a newer car for her and in this market that is what I could afford. The Prius is well over 120K miles but both daughters prefer to drive that opposed to the larger, nicer and newer car they have.
I am not complaining as I get to drive the nicer CUV.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
We don't really know much about the OPs 16 year old son. His dad describes him as urban, but some teens are eco- justice warriors. My neighbor brough his 13 year old son to lunch and his dad announced that he was a vegan. I must be very old, but I've never heard of a 13 year old boy who didn't eat burgers. I remember a lot of 18-19 year old girls who were vegan back in college in the 1970s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
As far as young kids not wanting a Prius; My older daughter made me get rid of a small CUV that was assigned to her and we got her a used Prius. Mostly because she wanted to be environmentally conscious.
Greta Thunberg turned 19 this year.
Arnold Schwarzenegger gave her a Tesla Model 3 to drive around the US and Canada.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-09-2022 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion