Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:14 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,209,543 times

Advertisements

Yeah that damn 1980 Toyota 4WD. I only got 180K on the rear brakes. Put over 225K on it and never touched the engine or clutch. Ok, that was a good one.
Had a 92 Ford Explorer - engine problems, 4 batteries, transmission problem. Got rid of it at 23K. OK that was a bad one.
Still own 4 other Toyota products (OK one is a 94 Lexus with 230K - but we rebuilt the engine at 185K), all over 160K, and really no problems.
Had a Mazda van -had to run premium gas or it would knock. Service dept said "Yeah we know" No one could get the front end aligned - NO ONE. OK we got a bad one.
I think I'll probably stay with Toyota products. Used to play with Chevy products.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this the real story at Toyota????-2bigblock.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,593,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Yeah that damn 1980 Toyota 4WD. I only got 180K on the rear brakes. Put over 225K on it and never touched the engine or clutch. Ok, that was a good one.
Had a 92 Ford Explorer - engine problems, 4 batteries, transmission problem. Got rid of it at 23K. OK that was a bad one.
Still own 4 other Toyota products (OK one is a 94 Lexus with 230K - but we rebuilt the engine at 185K), all over 160K, and really no problems.
Had a Mazda van -had to run premium gas or it would knock. Service dept said "Yeah we know" No one could get the front end aligned - NO ONE. OK we got a bad one.
I think I'll probably stay with Toyota products. Used to play with Chevy products.
You cannot blame bad batteries on the automobile manufacturer. The blame goes to the manufacturers of the batteries. If you are going to assign blame, be sure to assign it where it belongs.

Okay, back on topic. We are straying.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:32 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,631,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
You cannot blame bad batteries on the automobile manufacturer. The blame goes to the manufacturers of the batteries. If you are going to assign blame, be sure to assign it where it belongs.

Okay, back on topic. We are straying.

Yeah, but FOUR bad batteries in 23K?

Most likely the failures were caused another screwed up Ford electrical system.

My F-150 is on it's 3rd tranny in 85K....yeah, I blame Ford and they'll never see another dime of my money (unless that damn fool bailout happens).

Old 11-26-2008, 09:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,669,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma and I must say that if it was built by temp worker, then keep up the good work Toyota. I couldn't be any more happier than I am with this truck that was built in California.

If you look at what Toyota is doing, its actually a good idea. No union means that if the temp is a slug, then they get to put them back on the street. But if they are hard working and show good work ethics even after months or a couple of years, then they will more that likely to get a good employee.

I know personnally that the so called union made vehicle show a lot of sloppy workmanship. I had more trouble with my 1995 F-150 in the first six months of ownership, and the four Fords before that were no better, plagued with problems from day one.

So, by doing what they are doing, they're just insureing that they get a worker thats going to do the job they're assigned to. And it may be a platform the more companies, American or otherwise, should follow. Everyone has the right to work, so why should a lazy person be allowed to keep a job just because they belong to a so called union. When there may be a hard working, dedicated energenic person waiting for the chance to prove themselves worthy of the job.

One problem with your logic there Seabee, your Toyota was built in a union plant, Toyota has two union plants in California, one building trucks.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 11-26-2008 at 09:52 PM..

Old 11-27-2008, 07:35 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,899,070 times
Quote:
I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma and I must say that if it was built by temp worker, then keep up the good work Toyota. I couldn't be any more happier than I am with this truck that was built in California.

If you look at what Toyota is doing, its actually a good idea. No union means that if the temp is a slug, then they get to put them back on the street. But if they are hard working and show good work ethics even after months or a couple of years, then they will more that likely to get a good employee.

I know personnally that the so called union made vehicle show a lot of sloppy workmanship. I had more trouble with my 1995 F-150 in the first six months of ownership, and the four Fords before that were no better, plagued with problems from day one.

So, by doing what they are doing, they're just insureing that they get a worker thats going to do the job they're assigned to. And it may be a platform the more companies, American or otherwise, should follow. Everyone has the right to work, so why should a lazy person be allowed to keep a job just because they belong to a so called union. When there may be a hard working, dedicated energenic person waiting for the chance to prove themselves worthy of the job.

Thank you Toyota for building a top quality vehicle that I'm so proud of to drive.
I think it's funny that people blame autoworkers for quality problems. Did you ever think that bad engineering had something to do w/this???

Old 11-27-2008, 08:19 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Yeah, but FOUR bad batteries in 23K?

Most likely the failures were caused another screwed up Ford electrical system.

My F-150 is on it's 3rd tranny in 85K....yeah, I blame Ford and they'll never see another dime of my money (unless that damn fool bailout happens).
Its funny that you say that. My last Ford I'll ever buy, a F-150, I had to have three trani overhauls inside of six months of ownership. And I've alway been the type of owner that does the regular scheduled maintenance and I'm not one to beat my trucks to death. Typical ford junk as far as I'm concerned. Never More, Never More

Old 11-27-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
One problem with your logic there Seabee, your Toyota was built in a union plant, Toyota has two union plants in California, one building trucks.
Now that just busted my bubble , oh well, atleast it wasn't Ford, GMC or Chrysler. Its still a toyota . But, thanks for the info there Irishtom, It just goes to show ya that the manufacture knows what they're doing.

Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-27-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I think it's funny that people blame autoworkers for quality problems. Did you ever think that bad engineering had something to do w/this???
Well a friend of mine worked at the Lorain Ford plant here in Ohio and he use to work in the dent & ding department. His job was to put all the missing nuts and bolt on and to repair any bad exterior parts as well as finish the jobs that someone down the line missed. And the stories that he would tell me about the crap the employees would do to the vehicles or what they would not complete on thier line. Things like, finding a handful of nuts and bolt inside the door pannels or tobacco spit on the floor boards and someone was putting nude photos in behind the dashboards of cars for along time *(never were caught). Now you know as well as I do that the Union would have protected this idiots. Where as a none Union shop, they would have been fired and rightfully so. Oh, and thats just a small portion of the stories he has told me.

And I'm sure that parts quality control has alot to do with as well. But when the auto manufacture allows the parts maker to get away with it, well the fault falls back onto the auto manufacture for not putting the screws to them or finding another company to do the job right.

To me, Toyota and Honda just pays more attention to what is going on in thier plants than the other companies do. And I'm sure they have people do things to the cars as well, but I'm sure they have ZERO tolerance for idiots unlike the others.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:03 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

Old 11-27-2008, 09:38 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,349,740 times
Quote:
Now that just busted my bubble , oh well, atleast it wasn't Ford, GMC or Chrysler. Its still a toyota . But, thanks for the info there Irishtom, It just goes to show ya that the manufacture knows what they're doing.

Happy Thanksgiving
The NUMMI plant, likely where the truck was made, is the first US plant that used Toyota Production System. GM wanted to learn the system, and Toyota wanted to try production in the US.
Welcome to NUMMI.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion