Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:49 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
My last Ford I'll ever buy, a F-150, I had to have three trani overhauls inside of six months of ownership.
I'll agree that Ford typically has more issues with transmissions than other manufacturers, but could you explain a little more about what happened with your F-150? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 12:10 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'll agree that Ford typically has more issues with transmissions than other manufacturers, but could you explain a little more about what happened with your F-150? Thanks.
Well to start with it had the C-6 trani. About a month after I brought it home I was felling some trani hesitation when shifting. The dealership dropped the pan and found metal shavings in it and the screan, they overhauled it. Shortly after that I felt it again, they repaired it again. The last time I took it in they found metal in the torque converter as well as the trani. They replaced it this time.
Within the first two years I had to have the U-jionts changed in the driveshaft.
Vibration coming from the rear-end, found that the gears were not properly meshed/ riding to high instead of on Center causeing a harmonic vibration. That came out of my pocket.
Upper and lower ball joints on both sides replaced/ dry, no grease.
Anti-lock brake system would lock-up on the right side when ever it was raining, almost put me into a ditch one rainy night.
Intake manifolt gasket blew out on the strait six at about 2 1/2 years.
Plenum gasket blew out in the throttle body.
Now, I can keep on going if you want, but I don't want to take the time to do it . I ended up suing Ford on the Lemon Law, a week after we filed my lawyer called me and told me that Fords lawyers called him and they wanted to settle as soon as possible. Go figure .

Now the "78" F-150 that I had four trucks pryer to the "95" F-150. was the best Ford I had ever owned. But after the "70's) they went to crap real fast. And I'll never buy another Ford as long as I live.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:12 PM

135 posts, read 224,135 times
I don't see the issue with temps. If anyone does have an issue with temps, then they should go out and offer to spend an extra $2k for that Toyota they want, with the extra money going to pay for employees wages and benefits so that more of them can match up with the union. Truth is, those people make that money because the american pubic is more worried about buying a good car at a lower price than they are about buying american (and subsidizing the UAW pay/benefits). While it may suck for those people (when compared to the uaw at gm plants), it is not an isolated things, as many other have posted. Even engineering jobs requiring a degree and experience are starting as per project employment terms, so that companies can make sure a person is good before they take them on full time. I don't see the issue with it. And I am not going to pay $2k more per vehicle to make sure that the UAW can operate at a level above the rest of the market.

Furthermore, I'd like to see what sort of tax breaks the big 3 get. Alabama practically gave away land for the transplants, and everyone gave tax breaks. No question. However, I severly doubt that in the history of GM, the taxpayers haven't paid into tax breaks or cheaper land for any of their us locations or facilities. I highly suspect we're comparing apples to apples here and trying to make something out of it. If, by chance, GM truly hasn't been helped by taxpayer money anywhere, for all their history, then i agree people can claim it as unfair.

EDIT - no, $11/hour is not a great livable wage, especially with kids. However, anyone's sense of right and wrong, fair or not, has no relevance to this. Market conditions drive wages, not right vs wrong. If it's not a good wage, then go back to college, get a second job, etc. They may not be good options, but there are options. Expecting everyone else to pay more because someone thinks $11/hour isn't enough is NOT a viable option. If the general public agreed, then we would see it via the car sales, however, we know where the car sales have gone for the big 3. The only question now if you are a uaw worker is what to do about it. is $11/hour better than $0? Do you stand your ground and risk it? Do you take a cut, in order to lower the price of the car, in order to increase sales (ie affect the market and generate new market conditions)? There are a lot of things to think about, but whether any wage is livable or not, fair or not, is simply not relevant.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:19 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Folks, please keep on the original subject. If you want to discuss specific automotive issues, please make a new thread.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:08 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
The original message reads like an urban legend and has no attribution.

If this were true, you could find multiple source stories about it in newspapers.

Submit it to snopes.com and allow them to debunk it for you.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
That's why the title is, "Is this the real story at Toyota?". I was wondering if anyone had any experience working for Toyota or if anyone could confirm this.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:40 AM

108 posts, read 378,702 times
I sell both Ford and Toyota parts.
The Toyota owners want maintenance parts.
The Ford owners want repair parts.
I own and repair three Fords.
I own and drive a Toyota and a Honda.

And yes, I heard that information from a friend who worked for Toyota.
I does not concern me in the least, and seems to be a good way to
do business. $11 per hour w/o benefits is not easy to find in this area,
there are many working for less. The cost of living there is much less than
here.
You have to earn the right to a good job. Sounds like something that the big 3
could learn from.

Last edited by synchro; 11-30-2008 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: premature posting

Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Companies like Toyota that come and exploite American labor get me sick. People deserve a living wage!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Companies like Toyota that come and exploite American labor get me sick. People deserve a living wage!
Go work at McDonalds or Burger King

Old 12-01-2008, 02:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Go work at McDonalds or Burger King

That kind of work always paid poorly. But the foreign car companies are forcing down wages in an industry which had high wages. The Germans especially, they love servile southern American workers who'll work for less money and benefits than German workers demand.

Funny eh, the German bosses treat us with contempt as a source of cheap compliant labor, kind'a the way many American bosses look at Mexico and China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion