Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:14 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,434 times

Advertisements

Online customer survey indicates 70% of people like their Toyota vehicles based on quality, dependability, and reliability.Fuel economy 21% , 4% performance, and 2% both for safety and design.Explain why you would buy another brand for any other reason other than the top 70% of the Toyota customers.Do you honestly ever hear that a Toyota owner changed brands for a more dependable, reliable and better made car or truck? Obviously they wouldn't be a majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:26 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Well, for me, for one, Toyota makes boring cars, and life's too short for boring cars. Two, Toyota basically only sells two cars - the Camry, and the Corolla and its derivatives. Three, other makers also have reliable cars, even if the reliability isn't as high as Toyotas. Its not like your car will blow up if you don't drive a Toyota.

Of course, if you are a Toyota fan, you obviously like the product and have no reason to change unless you see something better elsewhere. The majority of car owners in the US are not car enthusiasts and just need a basic appliance to get them around, and a Camry or Corolla does that very well. There are many people with a "good enough" attitude in life, and it they have a Camry today, their next car will be a Camry as well because they want that security of knowing it will be like what they have now.

From your statement, you are breaking down the 100% of people who like Toyotas by what they like about them, but that's only among owners - not the general public. I'd bet that if you looked at customer surveys from owners of other makes, you'd get similar numbers as well. 70% of Ford owners like their cars for reliability, 70% of Honda owners like their cars for reliability, etc... What study are you citing exactly, anyway?

Toyota has about 14% of the US auto market, so a vast majority of buyers - 85% or so - prefer brands other than Toyota. A good question may be, if Toyota is so great, why does it only have 14% of the US market for all its cars, SUVs, trucks, the Prius, etc.? Sure, its products have good reputations for reliability, but the competition is also good, and there are plenty of other good cars out there - that fact is evident by the number of people that don't own Toyotas.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
Online customer survey indicates 70% of people like their Toyota vehicles based on quality, dependability, and reliability.Fuel economy 21% , 4% performance, and 2% both for safety and design.Explain why you would buy another brand for any other reason other than the top 70% of the Toyota customers.Do you honestly ever hear that a Toyota owner changed brands for a more dependable, reliable and better made car or truck? Obviously they wouldn't be a majority.
I have never heard of people trading in their Toyota for reliability issues but some do trade them in for an upgrade in the shape of a Lexus.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM

143 posts, read 761,796 times
Because Hyundai is where Toyota/Honda were years ago, stepping up technology to make reliable cars at a very affordable price. Whereas Honda and Toyota have been able to cut costs and keep sales based on their reputation. But if you look at TrueDelta some of their cars are starting to slip.

Not to mention Hyundai is starting to build exciting cars with the new good looking RWD 300hp genesis coupe, which is more than you can say for those other two.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:13 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,434 times
Default An investment

I guess to me a vehicle is an investment of hard earned money (in most cases).For that investment you want a return of a quality , dependable product. It gives you a means to travel to earn a living in most cases.Toyota is known for being one of the most dependable vehicles.Nothing worse than having your vehicle in the shop for "poor workmanship/design" even when it's under warranty.Time is money and for most; a vehicle in good running order is a must.Toyota builds that vehicle - that's proven. Some don't like the looks, some don't think they're safe enough, and in some cases some don't like foriegn manufactured vehicles. Keep in mind, they are close to becoming the #1 vehicle sold in the U.S.( if they already aren't).Why would you want to experiment with someone elses idea of a well built project? Sounds like more are investing that hard earned money with a better return.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Vehicles are horrible investments - they lose value, typically 50% of initial cost in the first three years. You are speaking in nothing but broad generalizations, so its hard to get what you're saying, but I think you just like Toyotas and want to know why people don't buy them?

Quote:
Why would you want to experiment with someone elses idea of a well built project? Sounds like more are investing that hard earned money with a better return.
Because other products are also well built?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I have never heard of people trading in their Toyota for reliability issues but some do trade them in for an upgrade in the shape of a Lexus.
Fwiw, I do know one person who traded her Camry for a Saturn after the engine failed on her, but anecdotal evidence is pretty useless when trending car quality.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:52 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Depends on if you are an "appliance-car" guy or a "real car guy". If you consider a car as just an appliance, strictly A to B, and buy a car because you don't have good public transportation options, well, yeah, something like a 'yota is what you want. Appliance-car people tend not to be interested in cars, don't know anything about how to maintain and repair, and can't cope with their own mechanical issues.

Real car guys on the other hand *are* interested in cars, and while some 'yotas like the old Supra are interesting to us, performance, uniqueness, etc. are also important to us. So you see us preferring various old muscle cars, M cars, old British cars, etc. One thing I like about driving the MG-B is the very fact that it's somewhat challenging to drive, and not just anybody can keep one running right.

It all boils down to either you are looking just for a tool to do a job, and a job you are just doing for the money, the way a ditch digger looks at a shovel, or you have something more going on, and things beyond mere utility matter.

Having said all that, them that know me here know I do have an 87 Camry as part of the "fleet". It's a good car now but ironically I have spent more maintaining and repairing it than any other car I drive, specifically including the 88 M3, the 82 'rocco, and the MG. This is partly because I didn't recognize it had been owned and beat by a stupid kid before I got my hands on it, and partly because 'yota parts tend to be expensive, with few aftermarket parts available.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
The reason Toyotas don't sell more is because they are expensive and you will rarely find a Toyota SUV at $10,000 sticker price like you can with the big three. Alot of people want the cheapest transportation they can find even if it means sacrificing quality. I have heard people tell about replacing transmissions or other major componants on their fairly new vehicles but since it was under warrenty, they don't care to much.
Both of my Toyotas have been great vehicle and have never let my down including my 17 year old 4Runner. When it is time to buy another vehicle, it will be another Toyota. And they are anything but boring to me. In my opinion, GM makes the most boring vehicles around. They all look the same.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
First, to me, Toyota is #1 and Honda #1a. Some people switch to Honda and vise-versa just for a change.

Some people want a cheap throw away crap car like Kia or Hyundai as they can't afford quality.

Also, until just recently, Toyota had a habit of not negotiating much on price as their vehicles sold so well. I can go to any Ford dealership and get 20-25% off the sticker price on any vehicle they sell. Why? Because Ford will negotiate with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion