Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:13 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times

Advertisements

New Jersey Acura - Open Road Acura of Wayne, New Jersey is Your New Jersey Acura Dealer (http://www.openroadacuraofwayne.net/vehicle.asp?v=767241#1 - broken link)

I already talked with them over the phone this weekend and got them down $1200.

Any advice? Almost all reviews of this vehicle are overwhelmingly positive. Good price? Any other thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

CarFax is clean

Is 21,000 miles too low for a 2004?

Last edited by johnfrisco; 07-12-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:35 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Wow, that is low milage for a 5 year old vehicle. but I wouldn't worry about low milage like. My wife's 2004 CRV only has 24k on it. I would try to get them down another grand if you can.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Wow, that is low milage for a 5 year old vehicle. but I wouldn't worry about low milage like. My wife's 2004 CRV only has 24k on it. I would try to get them down another grand if you can.
I was suspicious of the low mileage also. Car Fax shows one owner who lives in Manhattan, which makes sense because Manhattanites don't drive everyday. And if they had it in Manhattan they obviously had it garage kept.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I have always told anyone wanting to lower the price on the phone to look it over first. If they kept insisting on trying to lower it before looking I simply hang up. If it is a dealer that you have convinced them down $1200 I am sure you have to renegotiate once you are on the lot, they will agree to anything to get you on the lot. Getting a dealer to honor the phone deal is rough.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Look at the vehicle and have your mechanic check it out. I have owned 4Runners since 1993 and not a single problem. Make sure it is a 6 cyl and not the 4 cyl. At 24k miles - it is brand new. But check it out first.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I was suspicious of the low mileage also. Car Fax shows one owner who lives in Manhattan, which makes sense because Manhattanites don't drive everyday. And if they had it in Manhattan they obviously had it garage kept.
Actually then those miles were probably relatively hard miles, the car *may* be in worse shape than one with 70K worth of Western freeway driving.

Although for the price they are asking, it's probably a good deal.

Take a hard look at the head gasket where you can see it between the head and block, at least on the front side, you don't want to see any oil leaking out here. Also look for oil leaks on the timing belt side of the engine down low, the oil pump lives right there, the gasket that seals the oil pump cover has been known to "go" on these cars. I'm assuming the car has the 3S-FE 4-cylinder engine, I don't know as much about the V-6.

Depending, the 4-banger may be fine for you, particularly if it's a stickshift. All I can say is go drive it, one man's "OK power" is another man's "Slug Slow".

Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Actually then those miles were probably relatively hard miles, the car *may* be in worse shape than one with 70K worth of Western freeway driving.

Although for the price they are asking, it's probably a good deal.

Take a hard look at the head gasket where you can see it between the head and block, at least on the front side, you don't want to see any oil leaking out here. Also look for oil leaks on the timing belt side of the engine down low, the oil pump lives right there, the gasket that seals the oil pump cover has been known to "go" on these cars. I'm assuming the car has the 3S-FE 4-cylinder engine, I don't know as much about the V-6.

Depending, the 4-banger may be fine for you, particularly if it's a stickshift. All I can say is go drive it, one man's "OK power" is another man's "Slug Slow".
Thanks M3 Mitch. It's a V6. The latest generation 4Runner (2003-2009) only comes in V6 or V8 versions. From what I read the V8 provides little benefit and just reduces fuel economy.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:12 PM

M3 Mitch,

There is no way I can check seals. The 4Runner is low miles, my 92 Accord is dying--I think it may be finally time to bite the bullet I could get a newer Civic with better gas mileage for the same price, but it's a lot less car and boring. Wish me luck please!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:27 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Well, ignore my comments anyway as they were directed only at the inline 4-cylinder 3S-FE. You wrote "4Runner" and somehow I read "Rav4" anyway, I don't know when the last year the 4Runner came with an inline 4 but I think it's been a while.

What, exactly is wrong with your Accord? Trans actually going out? You should sell it as a "mechanic's special" if you don't want to fix whatever is going wrong.

Try to take a look at this 4Runner in person, don't assume that just because the miles are low and it came from an upscale address that it's golden. Maybe, probably even, but try to take a look or have someone you can trust take a look.

That said, good luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, ignore my comments anyway as they were directed only at the inline 4-cylinder 3S-FE. You wrote "4Runner" and somehow I read "Rav4" anyway, I don't know when the last year the 4Runner came with an inline 4 but I think it's been a while.

What, exactly is wrong with your Accord? Trans actually going out? You should sell it as a "mechanic's special" if you don't want to fix whatever is going wrong.

Try to take a look at this 4Runner in person, don't assume that just because the miles are low and it came from an upscale address that it's golden. Maybe, probably even, but try to take a look or have someone you can trust take a look.

That said, good luck!
Thanks for your advice M3 Mitch. I shouldn't have said my car is dying--it's just that it's so old. The transmission seems fine. It does burn 1 Qt of oil every 750 miles. No big deal, but I hear it will eventually foul up my Cat Converter. And it's been burning oil for a while now.

Maybe I should just keep the Honda and save on monthly car payments. Decisions-decisions.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion