Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I told him I would help with the research process, and search for possible cars and stuff. I came up with some pretty solid choices (2010 Fusion, Malibu, Mazda6, Altima, Accord, Rav4, Equinox, etc).
If you'd shown him the new Subaru Legacy, he'd be driving that instead of a boring Camry.

Last edited by dorado0359; 09-26-2009 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,208 times
Quote:
The ONE DAY I don't go with him to the Toyota place to check out the Rav4, the stupid salesman shows him base Camry LE...I'm sure you can guess what happens after that!!
Why buy another Camry if he already has a 2005? That 2005 is barely broken in and will go forever. Heck, his first Camry is probably still on the road.

The sales guy surely just said whatever it took to close the deal as quickly as possible: "Of course, sir...That new Camry is excellent. Time to upgrade from that 2005"

But in the end if your grandpa wants to be boring with his purchase and waste money, thats his prerogative.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Why buy another Camry if he already has a 2005? That 2005 is barely broken in and will go forever. Heck, his first Camry is probably still on the road.

The sales guy surely just said whatever it took to close the deal as quickly as possible: "Of course, sir...That new Camry is excellent. Time to upgrade from that 2005"

But in the end if your grandpa wants to be boring with his purchase and waste money, thats his prerogative.
He passed his old 2005 Camry down to me, since I'm going off to school soon, and have to drive myself to school.

Haha. That's what my grandad told me! I was like, "this thing has over 100,000 miles on it!" and he said just what you said..that it's barely broken in. His 1997 Camry (before he gave it to my mom) had a TON of miles on it...I want to say around 250,000.

And you're right, it's his choice, not mine, even if I would have at least picked a different color...

Old 09-28-2009, 04:11 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
even if I would have at least picked a different color...
Oh brother......Let's show our appreciation for a free car. Yes, let's do that.......not!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Oh brother......Let's show our appreciation for a free car. Yes, let's do that.......not!
You must really love picking on me...

I'm satisfied with my car. I'm greatful I have it and my grandad knows it. I just don't get why he'd get the same color car. Same car I now understand, thanks to your great insight. It's not about what gets you there, it's how you get there.
But I have a question for you: would you ever buy the same color & same model in a row?
If I got the same model, I'd get a different color. If I got the same color, I'd get a different model. It's not that big a deal since I'll be gone soon, it just seems odd to me. Then again, maybe that's what he was thinking. Who knows, it's done with now.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:40 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:

I'm satisfied with my car. I'm greatful I have it and my grandad knows it. I just don't get why he'd get the same color car. Same car I now understand, thanks to your great insight. It's not about what gets you there, it's how you get there.
But I have a question for you: would you ever buy the same color & same model in a row?
If I got the same model, I'd get a different color. If I got the same color, I'd get a different model. It's not that big a deal since I'll be gone soon, it just seems odd to me. Then again, maybe that's what he was thinking. Who knows, it's done with now.

My mother always bought red cars as far back as I can remember (56 Ford).

56 Ford-red
58 Mercury-red
60 Ford-red
62 Ford Galaxie-red
64 Ford Galaxie-red
66 Ford Galaxie-red
68 Ford Galaxie-red
75 Pontiac LeMans-red
78 Ford LTD II-red
82 Chevy Caprice-red
91 Chevy Lumina-red

Old 09-28-2009, 08:47 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
No, I'm not "picking" on you at all. I am giving you a different view of how others might perceive what you say. It's not so much what you say it's how you say it. It "sounds" very selfish from where I'm at.
I'm satisfied with my car. I'm greatful I have it and my grandad knows it. I just don't get why he'd get the same color car. Same car I now understand, thanks to your great insight. It's not about what gets you there, it's how you get there. Like many more mature people they know what they like and they repeat it as needed. Young fella's like you are still figuring out what works for them.
But I have a question for you: would you ever buy the same color & same model in a row? Yes, I will & do. But then I'm a mature man who decided long ago what I liked and didn''t like.
If I got the same model, I'd get a different color. If I got the same color, I'd get a different model. It's not that big a deal since I'll be gone soon, it just seems odd to me. Then again, maybe that's what he was thinking. Who knows, it's done with now.You, too, will change as you age but for now enjoy the journey you are about to embark on.
See my comments in blue above.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:14 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Your Grandfather bought what he did because he has had it proven to him by previous cars that the Toyota Camry is a very reliable car. I would love to be able to have a Camry. I would not personally but the same color as the last one though.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
People, I don't understand why everyone is picking on Chicagoland92. Good grief...he was helping his grandfather, and there's such venom that he was given an '05 Camry??? Yikes! I'd better not disclose what I was driving at that age.

Anyway, I completely understand the frustration, Chicagoland92. I have been there myself, when a salesman tries to steer a relative into a vehicle that they want to sell, which may not be the highest price for the highest commission due to selling in stock vehicles, and a dealer incentives that affect the commission payout.

What I think happened is that your grandfather may have gotten tired of car shopping, and saw a Camry. He figured that with a decent deal, he could not really go that wrong. I'd say that it was an automatic purchase, akin to buying blue or black socks for his suits, and I doubt he gave much thought to the car-appliance that he purchased, since the process of car shopping can be a pain in the neck.

As for buying the same car, I have done that, but it wasn't a Camry. And, for a while, growing up, we always had the same type of Mercedes, alternating between silver and jet black (though other vehicles were not as constant). I nearly collapsed the day the newer model, in blue, appeared in the garage, and wondered if there had been a mistake at the factory.

A friend of the family, however, NEVER changes her car, only buys a newer model, and NEVER changes the color. It's funny, but she's a creature of habit, and is very artistic in her own right, but prefers the vehicle to remain a constant in her life. She even has the same color interior on the vehicle, and will special order it if they do not have one in stock. So, your grandfather is not alone in his choice, but it would have been nice to try something new, I agree.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-01-2009, 08:07 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
If you'd shown him the new Subaru Legacy, he'd be driving that instead of a boring Camry.
Grandpa ponied up the money for a new car. That makes his choice in cars 100% HIS CHOICE and pouty grandson needs to get over it, nor does anyone else's opinion hold any sway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion