Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

I refused to believe it, I ignored the warnings and complaints. I was a *gulp* fanboy who thought my beloved car company could do no wrong.

I've been thinking about getting a new car for a few months and finally decided to go with the Camry. I've loved my last 3 Toyota products, so when I went in the other day to buy it I didn't spend a lot of time looking for details, and expected I would get the kind of quality I got with my last Toyota vehicles (a '97 Camry, 01 Corolla, '07 FJ Cruiser).

So I waltzed down to the dealership, said I wanted to get a 6 cyl Camry LE, picked the color I liked, drove it around the block, got a good price and plunked down the cash without looking at details of the car itself. Oops.

The exterior isn't bad, the car drives just fine but the interior fit and finish absolutely SUCKS! Panels don't match up and have awkward gaps, the plastic is cheap and easily deformed and even the window flashing doesn't match up from the inside to the outside (it's bigger on the outside, so you see it stick out through the glass...it looks seriously cheapo). Even my 12K when new Corolla was put together WAY better than this.

Buyer beware, especially Toyota fanboys. Toyota appears to have fallen from grace for a reason. I sure hope the drivetrain wasn't put together as shoddy as the interior. I should have gone with the Dodge Challenger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
take it back and get a refund some states offer a 1-week grace period and you can return the car and get your cash back.

I would atleast take it back to the dealer and show them the faults and ask them to give you some money back or free oil changes for life on the car.

or even ask for another car of the same make and model why drive a brand new car that already has faults

Old 08-27-2010, 01:32 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
This may be an isolated incident or not but riding around in a co-workers '07 Corolla made me feel like I was in a mid '90's Cavalier. All of the pop-open panels had broken hinges, weather stripping on 2 seperate doors was falling off and needed to be constantly pushed into place, sunroof weather stripping loose and wavy, plastic pillar panels misaligned... terrible fit and finish. That said he has not had any mechanical issues yet (less than 100k).

Old 08-27-2010, 02:40 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
The problem was Toyota became the #1 automaker and then became complacent with their product lineup. I don't feel they felt the need to keep striving to do better simply because they thought they had established their brand identity as reliable, consistent, and well-made. This was their downfall...soon they let quality slip....and slip and then all of a sudden they find themselves in a rut that they're going to have a difficult time digging out of. Meanwhile GM and Ford are really getting their act together and coming out with vehicles BETTER than anything Toyota makes and customers are starting to see that Toyota isn't the company it used to be and many are going back to American manufacturers (especially Ford).

I don't see Toyota regaining its pedestal anytime soon now that they have serious competitors making reliable, comfortable, and high-quality vehicles that can beat any vehicle Toyota currently offers both in price and in quality/features.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:11 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
So you waltz down to the dealer, bought the car without really test driving it or looking it over and now complain about it. Sounds like you are either lying or not too bright when buying a vehicle.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:28 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So you waltz down to the dealer, bought the car without really test driving it or looking it over and now complain about it. Sounds like you are either lying or not too bright when buying a vehicle.
Oh yea... well you're a poopy head.

Stupid juvenile insults aside, it is disappointing that I've gone through 3 other Toyotas that have been wonderful cars and made the wrongful assumption that #4 would be just the same.

Of course I did get the car loaded with extras (including 2 years free dealer service) for about 23K and a 60 month 0% interest loan, so it wasn't all bad, but still... my fanboy delusions have been crushed. Toyota is not what it used to be.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
why would pay 23 grand for a car you already find fault in even if it was a good deal does not make up for the fact the interior body panels are already loose and don't fit properly and with time the problem will only get worse.

the longer you own it the less you will like it after the fuzzy new car feeling wears off
so you have a 5 year loan on a car you already hate and you just bought it.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I'd be a little more saddened about Toyota's slip in quality (real or perceived) if Toyota had actually made a car I'd even consider owning within the last 15 or so years.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
kind of quality I got with my last Toyota vehicles (a '97 Camry, 01 Corolla, '07 FJ Cruiser).
... and if you had of ever owned a late 80s-mid 90s Toyota you would have been even more impressed.

I agree with you... anyone that says Toyota still makes top quality cars is wrong.... they simply have never inspected a 80s-90s Toyota.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:58 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Bottom line remains--Camry is the best mid-size car today and for the past 2 decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion