Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 29,670 times

Advertisements

I am amazed that American's are still buying Toyota's? Are we insane? The cars are killing people yet I see people in Savannah GA area with new tags still opting to buy these cars? I am so amazed at this that I hardly know what to think; what about those of us on the roads not in Toyota's that are in front of these killer cars? We could also be killed or seriouly injured I am amazed that more has not been done. Now this evening Toyota claims the man who almost died in his car just a few days ago is not telling the truth yet he is among many cars crashing and burning! Support your country America and stop investing in other country's support yoru own we need it now!!!!!!

I have a friend who worked for Toyota for years and he said they lie and hide all their maintence records so we do not know what they are doing behind the scenes; but you can bet they are up to no good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:12 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times
ou sound like another big 3 booster to me.The key word with your friend I think is use to work for toyota.He'd proably have the same opinon if he had worked for the big 3.Certainly those that have been intervoew on specail said they knew they were putting out fective cars for years and just let the dealers figure it out.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:16 PM

9 posts, read 29,670 times
Your grammar is very poor so do not bother to send me any messages!!!! Who cares what you think about Toyota. you can support your own country or not and if not then see what happens. Toyota is not open about their cars, American car company's are. They have to publish all their dealings so get it right and take an English class it might help you to better understand the world you are living in because you do not have a clue!!!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
People who commit multiple spelling and punctuation errors in their posts should not play Grammar Cop.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 PM

415 posts, read 1,776,023 times
Thanks for sharing, troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiajoy View Post
I am amazed that American's are still buying Toyota's? Are we insane? The cars are killing people yet I see people in Savannah GA area with new tags still opting to buy these cars? I am so amazed at this that I hardly know what to think; what about those of us on the roads not in Toyota's that are in front of these killer cars? We could also be killed or seriouly injured I am amazed that more has not been done. Now this evening Toyota claims the man who almost died in his car just a few days ago is not telling the truth yet he is among many cars crashing and burning! Support your country America and stop investing in other country's support yoru own we need it now!!!!!!

I have a friend who worked for Toyota for years and he said they lie and hide all their maintence records so we do not know what they are doing behind the scenes; but you can bet they are up to no good.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,274,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiajoy View Post

My neighbor is a tech (as they get called today) at a Toyota dealership, and he has said there is alot they do not even print up in the dealership service dept. It's goes like this from the customer service manager"Say, mr tech, this ladies car/suv/etc. has aproblem. Would you do me a favor and figure it out and we'll fix it, but theres no paperwork on this vehicle. Thanks, and I'll take care of you on payday". In other words while you fix this, you don't have to worry about your flat rate required hours.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 AM

874 posts, read 2,870,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Correct. My fault for not being clearer. However, you should have to shift into reverse (I think) on the Olds to be able to remove the key. Not sure about the Corona. (Haven't seen one of those in years). From '68 on, automatic transmissions had to be in park to lock the steering.

Does your Olds have that annoying warning buzzer if you leave the key in?

According to wikipedia:
With the introduction of federal vehicle regulation in the United States in 1968, FMVSS 114 required the impairment of steering wheel rotation, to hinder motor vehicle theft; in most vehicles this is accomplished when the ignition key is removed from the ignition lock.

On a side note, on my '67 Camaro the ignition switch is in the dashboard. I have an '07 Altima that doesn't require a key. It just has a pushbutton.
I do a lot of side work on vehicles and when I do brakes or suspension work I just turn the key forward to unlock the wheel. I do not turn it so far that it cranks at all just forward so the steering unlocks. I have never encountered a vehicle that this does not work with.

I own a 1968 Chrysler Newport and the wheel does not lock when the car is in park with the key removed. The ignition switch is in the dashboard on this car car as well.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 AM

874 posts, read 2,870,270 times
It appears as though many people do not do any research when they hear about the quality of a vehicle becoming poor. For a number of years now Toyota has increased production at some plants to near the production limit for these plants. Any time any automobile company does this the build quality suffers due to the fact that the workers have to work much faster to get the cars built. The "Big Three" had increased their production at their plants to nearly their production limits in the years of their worst quality vehicles.

The first GM vehicle that suffered from this was the 1970 Vega. They were reported to be showing up at dealerships with missing bolts, scratches, broken trunk locks and other problems. This was partially due to the speed at which they had to be made and partially due to the fact that some of the union members were deliberately sabotaging vehicles due to the fact that they felt GM was increasing production in order to punish them for striking and getting a good contract a few months prior.

The only foreign car I ever owned was a 2003 Honda Civic. At the time I had a 1987 IROC Camaro with a lot of work done to it (.030 over 350 block, large cam, Hypertech chip matched to the cam, headers, 3 inch exhaust, etc). I was driving 140 miles round trip to and from work each day and was using a full tank of gas each day so I decided to buy a more fuel efficient vehicle to get me to and from work. At the time I test drove a Toyota Matrix and looked at a Corolla. The Matrix was junk. It was way up in the revs doing slow speeds and the transmission was whiny. It also had a rougher ride than the Civic and had some rattles. The Corolla seemed a lot smaller to me than the Civic did and it seemed much more basic than the similarly priced Civic. I did not even bother test driving the Corolla after sitting in it.

Just for the record, my Civic was built in the United States. Honda was the first Japanese company to have plants in the United States. The Civic was a reliable car but I sold it with 70,000 miles on it simply due to the fact that it became too small for my needs. I have four children and I do a lot of towing and hauling so I bought a 2001 Excursion with a 7.3 diesel engine. I get slightly better fuel mileage in the Excursion with the diesel than I was getting in my Civic and I eliminated the need of having a car and a pick up. The Excursion serves as my family car and heavy hauler all in one.

The Excursion has been extremely reliable for me and it now has 180,000 miles on it and still running fine. I have only changed one starter, one water pump, a cam sensor and replaced the automatic hubs for the four wheel drive with after market manual ones.

I believe one part of the problems with people eventually getting screwed with buying a brand of vehicle that was known for reliability is due to the fact that people tend not to research the behind the scenes stuff that goes on when researching to buy a new vehicle. On top of doing research on how the vehicle they are looking at has done in prior years they should look if the company is having financial problems, closing plants and raising production to near limits in others, researching who supplies many of the parts for the car they are looking at and then researching that company, etc.

There have been years that the American car companies were making quality built reliable cars and years they were making junk. The same thing happens with German, English, Italian, Japanese and other foreign country vehicle makes. People do not realize this is an ever changing cycle with each vehicle company and rather than looking at each year's model as separate they tend to judge by previous years which can have absolutely nothing to do with the new models. I am not saying that next year GM, Chrysler or Ford will make better vehicles than Toyota, Honda or BMW for that matter but people have to realize there is a chance they may. Remember that not so long ago Nissan was near bankruptcy and were not making good quality reliable vehicles but yet there are many that now swear they are great.

I did not read each and every post in this thread but from what I did read I did not notice the person who started the thread comment on the fact that there are vehicles built by the American car companies made in other countries and vehicles made by foreign companies that are made in America. In my opinion, this blows the whole "buy American to help America" theory out of the water. If Toyota or Honda winds up in the position that GM and Chrysler wound up in there is a good chance they would have to close plants in America which would not have a good impact on our country either.

As far as what people in America buying Toyota cars or trucks have done for their country; I would have to say most of them are paying taxes unless they recently lost a job, paying into social security and buying things from stores in this country that someone in this country is getting the money from. I will add that they are keeping the American dealership that sells the Toyota vehicles going as well as the truck drivers that deliver the vehicles to the dealerships, etc. Nearly every American in one way or another contributes to something in this country that helps this country.

As far as what I have personally done for my country; I am a retired NYC police officer that was FORCED to retire on disability after suffering a heart attack at 34 years of age which required my having a stent and which the cardiologists said may or may not have had something to do with the fact that I was digging and doing the bucket brigade between two and three weeks starting on 9/12/2001. Just for the record, on 9/11 I was assigned to the Brooklyn Bridge for security to not allow anyone onto the bridge other than emergency vehicles. I just wanted to let this be known before someone accuses me of having never done anything for America.

Buying a Toyota over a Ford does not make someone a bad American any more than buying a Ford over a Toyota makes someone a good American.

Last edited by Egobop; 03-16-2010 at 03:01 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,749,729 times
They why are people still buying Fords after all the exploding pinto's, or mid 60's Mustangs, or the pickups that blew up if hit on the side???? Or Chevy's because of the Astro vans that blew up and caught on fire? Or Chrysler for that fact where the 90's intrepids front end fell apart and people were killed from losing control? Geez people, things happen. I still say do away with this "drive by wire" crap.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 AM

7,216 posts, read 11,906,240 times
I just bought a brand new Camry to replace the 03 Camry I was driving. Got a great deal. My friend's husband is a Toyota mechanic and just got her a new Camry. If he was willing to put his own family in one, that's good enough for me.

BTW - the dealership was packed with people buying when I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion