Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

The camry is the top seeling cars year after year for a reason;oiwner loality. Remmeebr when the big htree actually had some unitl they screwed the owners to death and they said bye bye, Still losing sales to honda and toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 11:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Toyota kept ABS optional on Camrys, save for the XLE, well into this decade, which is appalling, considering the proven safety benefit for the majority of drivers. Similarly, the side airbags have been optional on Corollas for too long, which in a vehicle that size, supposedly a class leader, is unacceptable.
Our 2001 Corolla has side airbags...

When I shopped the car... all the dealerships made disparaging remarks about the side airbags...

Every Toyota, or at least Corolla at the time was made to order and Dealerships, especially Toyota Dealers will do anything to discourage a customer from ordering a car...

I insisted and we got what we wanted... we knew the date our car was being made and were able to see it 2 days before the Dealer received it...

I imagine the argument can be made to make optional equipment standard... but then there is always the price point to consider... especially with entry level vehicles...

For twice the price of a optioned Corolla, one could buy a BMW 325i and get all the air bag, abs and traction control standard... or buy a Lexus?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:30 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,385,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Toyota kept ABS optional on Camrys, save for the XLE, well into this decade, which is appalling, considering the proven safety benefit for the majority of drivers.
My old 1994 Lumina Euro had standard ABS, and I believe it was standard on all Lumina trims starting either that same year or 1993. I'm amazed it took Toyota until 2005 to make it standard on the Camry.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:43 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,287,388 times
Why are people still buying Toyota-built vehicles?

I've been wondering that for 15 years! Ugly as can be, and not any better than any other make. In fact they ride closer to a log wagon than anything with comfort

Old 09-30-2009, 11:46 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,287,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Well, this is what happens when a good car starts being assembled in America. It will be interesting to see how long it is before they pull it out of the US.

They always were junk. Built in japan or the US. It's called engineering and design, which toyotas were never good at doing either

Old 09-30-2009, 11:51 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
They always were junk. Built in japan or the US. It's called engineering and design, which toyotas were never good at doing either
The Toyota's in the 1980's to mid 1990's were far from junk. They are junk now though as you pointed out. Tell me some better vehicles from the time period I listed above, so I can compare them.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I rented a BMW 10 years ago and could tell the accelerator was some how different... turns out it had drive by wire...
While that may be, I suspect the actual difference was that the accelerator pedal was hinged to the floor instead of the more common "floating" pedal seen in the vast majority of cars these days. The hinged accelerator was fairly common on German cars until recently, and I think BMW still does it; same with Audi.

ETA: Looks like Porsche still does it too.

Last edited by Drover; 10-01-2009 at 01:15 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I can't believe that a highway patrolman didn't have the presence of mind to shift into neutral, turn the engine off, reach down and move the floor mat.
Someone on another thread suggested that there is so much computer controlled devices on cars that maybe the driver could not turn off the engine, or shift to neutral. Also said witnesses noted that the brakes were smoking. His theory was that it wasn't a floor mat but computer failure.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:37 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,647 times
Default ugly & dangerous

AIRBUS had the same problem as Toyota on the fly by wire airbus320 that resulted in a frightening crash.

Toyota is living off its late 1980's early 1990's reputation. The new toyotas are unreliable, ugly, uninspiring and now dangerous. Why people continue to purchase these ugly death traps further proves the irrational logic of the masses.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:10 AM

389 posts, read 1,075,254 times
Wait a minute... since when did Toyotas accelerate at high speeds???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion