Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
It is under investigation to see if the car is at fault. This happened the other day, Saturday, Dec. 26th here close to me.

Four dead after car plunges into Southlake pond | wfaa.com | Local News

The car, a 2008 Toyota Avalon was traveling on a road that the speed limit is 35 mph. They came to a "T" in the road where they had to stop and then turn right or left. The car never slowed down and went straight. It then crashed thru a metal pipe fence, hit a tree, flipped and ended up about 30+ yards from the road upside down in a 6' deep pond on someones property. The owners of the property rushed over and were able to pull one person out. Police arrived within minutes as well as a dive team to get the other 3 occupants out. All 3 ended up passing away.

What do you think?
Do you drive a Toyota?
Know someone that does?
How do you feel about riding or driving one now?
Judging from the fact that they never slowed down *and* they did not try to steer left or right at the intersection, but instead went STRAIGHT AHEAD into the pond, kind of sounds to me like they were going too fast and was not familiar with the road.

Nearby where I live, there is a "T" intersection that has frequent skid marks when people come up to it, at night especially, and realize there is an 80 foot rock bluff 30 feet in front of them. So far, no fatalities - but it's just a matter of time.

I would say the folks in Southlake ran out of time and luck.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 09:16 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I was not referring to your post specifically, but the thread in general. It is quite the trend here to bash Toyota at every available opportunity, and I happen to think it is a bit old. Not to mention a bit like saying "na na na" on a kindergarden playground.
The trend that has gotten old is the bash American cars at every opportunity one. This Toyota trend is relatively new. How Toyota responds will determine when it will stop.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:16 AM

36 posts, read 125,104 times
I am really surprised that no one here seems to have seen all the CNN stories about the huge Toyota recall due to the floor mats jamming the brake pedal so that you cannot stop the vehicle. A family was killed in their Lexus due to this, and it was all over the news, including audio from the 911 call where the poor driver is screaming for help because he couldn't brake...the entire family died in that crash, and that is why Toyota had the recall. This would logically be the explanation for me on what happened to this poor family.

No car company is perfect, but in terms of overall quality, no other company comes close to what Toyota has achieved. But keep in mind their cheaper models like the Echo, Yaris and Corolla never fair as well as their bread & butter money maker the Camry. I guess even Toyota cuts back on quality on their cheaper vehicles, like most car makers do.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNightbird View Post
I am really surprised that no one here seems to have seen all the CNN stories about the huge Toyota recall due to the floor mats jamming the brake pedal so that you cannot stop the vehicle.
The floor mat recall is because the bottom of the accelerator pedal catches on the forward edge of the all weather floor mats. It has nothing to do with interfering with the brake pedal.

Here is a link with a picture.

Toyota Seeks Solution to Floor-Mat Issue - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNightbird View Post
This would logically be the explanation for me on what happened to this poor family.
It's not an explanation--it's a guess.

The OP is guessing also--She assumes there is a problem with the Avalon in this accident which caused it to crash, assumes that there is a known repair for Toyotas afflicted with the problem that she assumes Toyotas have, and if she owned a Toyota, would "take her car to get fixed". What I don't know is, what problem she assumes is to blame for the accident, what problem she would have repaired, and what problem she would ask the service department TO fix. Aside from the floor mat recall (already in progress), there is no proof at this time, that any other problem exists with the vehicles involved in the recall.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
When I was in college and worked at a car wash for my part time job, I spent my whole day vacuuming and prepping cars for the wash bay. I think I counted up I did around 50000 cars while I was there and I can't tell you how much crap people used to have in their drivers footwell. This was back when cell phones were becoming popular and often they'd have the headsets stashed down there. You'd find shoes, books, VHS tapes, CD's, 200 condoms(at least) in one guys footwell, fast food garbage, etc. You name it, I probably found it. People are worried about a little lip on a floor mat, well that is the least of their problems from what I saw.

Some clean freaks I remember when the other way and had 3-4 floormats in there which caused problems also.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Personally, I'm afraid to leave my house, for fear that I'll be struck by a foreign car. Or bitten by a dog that ate foreign dog food. Or mugged by a guy who had childhood toys painted in foreign countries.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM

162 posts, read 430,680 times
I know it has been said, but this shows how stupid this society is becoming. People don't think outside of the box anymore. They expect the car to be perfect and take care of everything. All of these fatalities could be easily avoided if the idiot driver would just quickly slip the car in neutral and use the brakes. I don't know what is so complicated about that. It shouldn't take a automotive engineering degree to figure out that much.
A brake failure could be much harder to deal with, but even then if you use your head and think fast enough, you can usually figure out a way to stop without killing yourself or someone else.
People are just stupid.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I find it funny that the big 3 boosters have to hope toyotas get worse to promote their vehicles.Its alos funny that teh thrttoles involved are the ones made here in the US and don't involve the pones made in japan. Looks lie the toyotas relying on US supliers is a issue now.Toyota owenrs have long said that teh japanese made vehciles wer better qaulity and I am beginning to think it has alot to do with parts ;not just assembly.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I find it funny that the big 3 boosters have to hope toyotas get worse to promote their vehicles.Its alos funny that teh thrttoles involved are the ones made here in the US and don't involve the pones made in japan. Looks lie the toyotas relying on US supliers is a issue now.Toyota owenrs have long said that teh japanese made vehciles wer better qaulity and I am beginning to think it has alot to do with parts ;not just assembly.
You have been spreading this lie around for a couple weeks. It's the Denso pedals as well. That means that they are still scrambling for an answer. Get that through your head.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendesert View Post
I know it has been said, but this shows how stupid this society is becoming. People don't think outside of the box anymore. They expect the car to be perfect and take care of everything. All of these fatalities could be easily avoided if the idiot driver would just quickly slip the car in neutral and use the brakes. I don't know what is so complicated about that. It shouldn't take a automotive engineering degree to figure out that much.
A brake failure could be much harder to deal with, but even then if you use your head and think fast enough, you can usually figure out a way to stop without killing yourself or someone else.
People are just stupid.
Panic takes over and renders the brain useless. Different people respond differently in panic situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion